Should Cars be Cancelled?

CaptinEO

Original Poster
I was watching the movie Cars for the first time since its release. I realized that the movie doesn't fit in well with today's standards at all. In fact the entire movie is filled with stereotypes.

Ramone- Mexican Stereotype
Luigi - Italian Stereotype
Mater - Red Neck Stereotype
Flo - African American Stereotype

A lot of the comedy is based on the racial stereotypes, for example Ramone has flames on his car and is always showing off the hydraulics. Luigi is only interested in Italian race cars, not American ones.

There is even a Me Too moment where two "girl" cars that are fans of Lightning McQueen "flash their headlights" at him.

I remember waiting in line at Luigi's Tires and all the songs were stereotypical Italian songs making fun of Italians. Between each song Luigi talks about "his cousin" and "meatballs and spaghetti".

How is this kosher with people in 2021? I honestly think Cars Land will be set for a revamp in the future to remove or revise these characters.

Regardless of where you stand on cancel culture, these stereotypes aren't doing anyone any good.

Stevek

I was watching the movie Cars for the first time since its release. I realized that the movie doesn't fit in well with today's standards at all. In fact the entire movie is filled with stereotypes.

A lot of the comedy is based on the racial stereotypes, for example Ramone has flames on his car and is always showing off the hydraulics. Luigi is only interested in Italian race cars, not American ones.

There is even a Me Too moment where two "girl" cars that are fans of Lightning McQueen "flash their headlights" at him.

I remember waiting in line at Luigi's Tires and all the songs were stereotypical Italian songs making fun of Italians. Between each song Luigi talks about "his cousin" and "meatballs and spaghetti".

How is this kosher with people in 2021? I honestly think Cars Land will be set for a revamp in the future to remove or revise these characters.

Regardless of where you stand on cancel culture, these stereotypes aren't doing anyone any good.
No, just no.

DCLcruiser

Eh...

Ramone - Isn't a mexican stereotype, it is based on a sub-set of SoCal Car Culture, which is not racist, it is real and celebrated. I'm a car guy, not of Mexican or Latin decent, but there are plenty of 2021 tv shows that show off this type of car modifying.

Luigi - I'm an Italian-American, and I don't mind it. Italians are very proud of their country/companies/brands/etc. It is a caricature but not really insulting.

Mater - He is literally portrayed as Larry the Cable Guy, who voices the character. Seems spot on.

Flo - I never took her to be African American, just a overly emphasized old-school diner/malt-shop person you would find on Route 66. Where you get some pie.

Mia and Tia - Sure, that's not a sophisticated look.

Stevek

Also.

Wait a second.

This dude is using a CAPTAIN EO avi? Captain EO, starring Michael "The Kids Only Slept in My Bed but I Never Touched Them" Jackson?
busch beer GIF by Busch

brb1006

Come on, Cars is not even 20 years old!

denyuntilcaught

No. In fact, something like this is actually discouraging because it takes the impact away from things that actually do require cultural re-assessment. Now, people are going to read this thread, go to the hyperbolic argument that "cancel culture is ruining everything!" and no longer take the overall conversation around cultural sensitivities seriously.

So, no.

TP2000

Flo - I never took her to be African American, just a overly emphasized old-school diner/malt-shop person you would find on Route 66.

Oh, come on! o_O

Flo is a member of the Motorama Girls, which is an obvious homage to Motown Girl Groups. They are literally The Supremes in car form. The soundtrack played inside Flo's V8 Cafe is all Motown girl group music.

Flo is voiced by a Black character actress whose name escapes me at the moment, and her dialect is Black American female. On purpose.

A little tribute time... one of my favorite parts of Cars Land is the record room in the back of Flo's V8 Cafe. They have records on the wall that are direct rip offs of famous girl group singles by The Supremes, The Marvelettes, Ronnie Spector, Darlene Love, etc., etc. Except all car themed and performed by The Motorama Girls.

I absolutely love to read these titles on the walls each time I'm there! And again, that Flo's soundtrack is fabulous! The logos and design aesthetics of the record jackets also change over time as the 1960's roll along. There is incredible detail in this stuff! Some of the best placemaking in DCA!

m7knz7-b78980496z.120120722101222000gt119036v.1.jpg

I think my favorite record displayed at Flo's is "Back In My Control Arms Again" (a control arm is part of a car's suspension, and Back In My Arms Again was a huge hit for The Supremes.) 🤣

Also, rest in peace to Ms. Mary Wilson. She passed away last week and it really made me sad. :( Florence Ballard already passed away in 1976. That makes Diana Ross the last surviving member of the original Supremes. As seen in the video above, Flo is on the left, Mary is in the middle, and Diana is newly moved down front in '66 just before their name changed to Diana Ross And The Supremes. The times were changin' in '66 at Motown Records. :oops:

Last edited:

DCLcruiser

Oh, come on! o_O

Flo is a member of the Motorama Girls, which is an obvious homage to Motown Girl Groups. They are literally The Supremes in car form. The soundtrack played inside Flo's V8 Cafe is all Motown girl group music.

Flo is voiced by a Black character actress whose name escapes me at the moment, and her dialect is Black American female. On purpose.

A little tribute time... one of my favorite parts of Cars Land is the record room in the back of Flo's V8 Cafe. They have records on the wall that are direct rip offs of famous girl group singles by The Supremes, The Marvelettes, Ronnie Spector, Darlene Love, etc., etc. Except all car themed and performed by The Motorama Girls.

I absolutely love to read these titles on the walls each time I'm there! And again, that Flo's soundtrack is fabulous! The logos and design aesthetics of the record jackets also change over time as the 1960's roll along. There is incredible detail in this stuff! Some of the best placemaking in DCA!

m7knz7-b78980496z.120120722101222000gt119036v.1.jpg

I think my favorite record displayed at Flo's is "Back In My Control Arms Again" (a control arm is part of a car's suspension, and Back In My Arms Again was a huge hit for The Supremes.) 🤣

Also, rest in peace to Ms. Mary Wilson. She passed away last week and it really made me sad. :( Florence Ballard already passed away in 1976. That makes Diana Ross the last surviving member of the original Supremes. As seen in the video above, Flo is on the left, Mary is in the middle, and Diana is newly moved down front in '66 just before their name changed to Diana Ross And The Supremes. The times were changin' in '66 in Motown. :oops:

Ok, so she’s a former singer turned diner owner. Still don’t think she’s portrayed in a demeaning way. I could be wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom