Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, August 21

It was lightly raining when I went out to sit on the balcony a little past 6 am.

IMG_4183.jpeg

As I waited for dawn my eyes were drawn skyward to some birds flying about. But when I fully focused on the flying objects, I realized something….those weren’t birds.

It was a colony of BATS, quickly darting to and fro, dangerously close to where I was sitting. In dozens of stays over the last 20 years, I have NEVER seen a single bat. Not one. Bats creep me out. I always avoid the bat enclosure at AK. And now here they were only a few feet away.

I was paralyzed. Woody was in bed and the heavy drapes behind me were closed. I decided to distract myself by taking a quick video. Looking at a screen was preferable to reality in that moment.

Their activity lasted about 20 minutes and then they were gone. I wondered if there are bat houses on the roof. Bats are good for pest control - especially mosquitos, and I’d read central Florida was having a prolific season.

I was glad to see the sun breaking through.

IMG_4186.jpeg

93boomer

Wednesday, August 21

It was lightly raining when I went out to sit on the balcony a little past 6 am.

View attachment 816323

As I waited for dawn my eyes were drawn skyward to some birds flying about. But when I fully focused on the flying objects, I realized something….those weren’t birds.

It was a colony of BATS, quickly darting to and fro, dangerously close to where I was sitting. In dozens of stays over the last 20 years, I have NEVER seen a single bat. Not one. Bats creep me out. I always avoid the bat enclosure at AK. And now here they were only a few feet away.

I was paralyzed. Woody was in bed and the heavy drapes behind me were closed. I decided to distract myself by taking a quick video. Looking at a screen was preferable to reality in that moment.

Their activity lasted about 20 minutes and then they were gone. I wondered if there are bat houses on the roof. Bats are good for pest control - especially mosquitos, and I’d read central Florida was having a prolific season.

View attachment 816324

Wow that was a lot of bats!! We used to have one that stayed under our top deck. It was a little one so it didn’t freak me out. 🤣

erstwo

I love bats! They really do so many good things.
The only ones that scare me are the ones as tall as a 5 year old in Australia. Those are a big - you stay over there and I’ll stay over here - from me!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Wednesday, August 21

View attachment 816323

View attachment 816324

OMG that bat experience would be a nightmare for me. I too have to avoid the bat enclosure that AK (I run through the walkway, and I never run). I can't even look at a picture of bats it freaks me out so much, you were very brave to be out with them. I do realize that bats are good for the environment and getting rid of icky mosquitoes but the bats can just do that far, far, far away from me.

Edit: just read @riverside 's post and I will not be walking near that FQ/POR bridge either.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, con’t

Woody and I grabbed a quick breakfast in the lounge and made it to Epcot in time for early entry.

As I attempted to take a pic of the sign, from out of the blue Woody ran to it and gave the two thumbs up. It was so unexpected and I couldn’t stop laughing!

IMG_4188.jpeg

One benefit of not being RAT or FEA people means we can stay in the front of the park and not rush to World Showcase during early entry. We chose to go to the Land. The standby time for Soarin’ was posted at 5 minutes as we headed into the queue.

And came to a halt right here where we didn’t move for 15 minutes.

IMG_4190.jpeg

Turns out Soarin’ wasn’t “officially” open until 8:45 am. Our total wait was 25 minutes - which was ridiculous considering there weren’t that many people ahead of us and LL entry didn’t begin until regular park open at 9.

IMG_4191.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thankfully we were able to walk right on Living with the Land. There was no animal or insect movement in the rainforest section which was disappointing.

IMG_4193.jpeg

As our boat approached the banana trees I told Woody that Em never sees bananas on them.

Woody pointed and said, “This plant has a bunch of them - no pun intended!”

IMG_4194.jpeg

“Look - there’s more on the back!” he proclaimed.

IMG_4195.jpeg

Today must have been cleaning day in the greenhouses.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_4197.jpeg

IMG_4199.jpeg

IMG_4202.jpeg

Experience ruined. Disney owes us something! :cautious:

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Spaceship Earth had been “temporarily closed” all morning. I kept checking its status via the app and when I saw it was open we quickly headed that way.

Apparently we weren’t the only ones.

IMG_4215.jpeg

However only ten minutes later we boarded.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

And thus began our painfully slow travel through time. The omnimover advanced at a snail’s pace — when it wasn’t fully stopped. The stops began right away and there was only a few feet between them. I decided to take a picture each time we came to a complete halt.

This one was first. At the time I fully expected our faces would not appear in the “Welcome to Your Future” video near the end. The result will follow in the next post.

IMG_4216.jpeg

Stop #2

IMG_4218.jpeg

Stop #3 (told ya it was only a few feet!)

IMG_4219.jpeg

Stop #4 (I was able to thank the Phoenicians multiple times during this stop.)

IMG_4220.jpeg

Stop #5 (@amjt660 I had a math lesson. Too bad it was in Greek!)

IMG_4221.jpeg

Stop #6

IMG_4222.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom