Shark Reef to close at Typhoon Lagoon

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Awww... that is really sad... that was one of the most unique parts about going to Typhoon Lagoon... any word on if they will be keeping the animals and the viewing area (and just not letting you swim) or will the animals be removed and the area completely blocked off? Hopefully, it's because they have plans to replace it and not just because of its (presumably) high operating costs...

SSH

That's a shame...we were planning on visiting next spring...I've never been there before and was really looking forward to it. It seems the "replacement" is a new family raft ride? It's just the two of us - no kids - so that's not anything I'll be interested in. I guess I'll pass on TL and save the money for Uni's new water park coming soon.

But now I'm REALLY looking fwd to my first-ever Discovery Cove experience this fall: at least I can count on some snorkeling there. :)

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Am I the only one who didn't care for Shark Reef? It felt rushed. I really didn't get a good look at the fish because the lifeguards just rushed you through it. I usually enjoy snorkeling and thought it would be a neat experience, but I'd rather just be in the wave pool instead.

clemmo

Will Miss fortune falls actually take up any of the space occupied by this? It would be nice if they actually use this space for another new unique attraction. If it gets replaced by something else pretty unique i'll be ok but if its just left to sit with no replacement then that's a major disappointment. Either way glad I did this back in July.

Unplugged

Will Miss fortune falls actually take up any of the space occupied by this? It would be nice if they actually use this space for another new unique attraction. If it gets replaced by something else pretty unique i'll be ok but if its just left to sit with no replacement then that's a major disappointment. Either way glad I did this back in July.
The permits filed showed the area for MFF begin immediately west of the Crush'n'Gusher. So no, it's footprint is not over lapping. There is rumor already of something replacing the reef, so we can keep our fingers crossed for that.

doctornick

I love the Disney water parks, but this was one of the experiences that truly made them unique. Most everything else is the same regular water park stuff just high quality with good theming. The shark reef was distinct and will be IMHO a big loss.

Also, it was one of the things that helped to differentiate between TL and BB.

Biff215

Just another addition by subtraction unfortunately, which is nothing new lately. With the new attraction being added next spring, there will be new staff and maintenance costs. By closing Shark Reef, they easily offset that. Very similar to the rumored cut of MK characters to make way for the Muppets.

It's great to have new offerings, but we also need added capacity, something that seems lost on current management.

No Name

I hope the sharks find a good home. Dare I say, a better home.

It was a neat attraction for the humans, and while I don't mind its departure as much as others, I hope that the upcoming slide serves well as a "replacement." Basically, I hope that a day at Typhoon Lagoon is just as good or better than it has always been.

SSH

The permits filed showed the area for MFF begin immediately west of the Crush'n'Gusher. So no, it's footprint is not over lapping. There is rumor already of something replacing the reef, so we can keep our fingers crossed for that.

Let me guess: a new frozen meet & greet pavilion? Watch Ana and Elsa blow off the frozen north to escape to a tropical paradise!
Or maybe a Star Wars memorabilia shop? Doesn't fit TL theming? Heck, that's old-school disney thinking. :depressed:

Sorry - had to be a wee bit snarky...this decision bums me out big time!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Let me guess: a new frozen meet & greet pavilion? Watch Ana and Elsa blow off the frozen north to escape to a tropical paradise!
Or maybe a Star Wars memorabilia shop? Doesn't fit TL theming? Heck, that's old-school disney thinking. :depressed:

Sorry - had to be a wee bit snarky...this decision bums me out big time!

well...the new slide they are building now has nothing to do with Frozen or Star Wars...so I am leaning towards the replacement for the shark reef having nothing to do with those things either.

Britrepeater

Did this on our first visit in 1998! Thought it was unique. Wife didn't do it. Didn't think much of the rest of the park
Did it again last year and wife AND kids were not interested! It was great to relive it. Although seemed a bit more rushed and busy this time, as all the parks did.
Shame.

SSH

well...the new slide they are building now has nothing to do with Frozen or Star Wars...so I am leaning towards the replacement for the shark reef having nothing to do with those things either.

Yeah...I'm being a tiny bit sarcastic...just ignore the cranky giraffe in the corner. :D:D But my genuine concern is that something unique will be "replaced" with nothing for a really, really long time. Then it will be followed by a loooong period of construction (hopefully construction of something more than a shop, restaurant, VIP party area or meet/greet pavilion). And then the end result: at best, another family-style slide.

Slides aren't bad - don't get me wrong. But every water park now and all the ones yet to come will likely employ the latest technology or design, just in diff creative theming skins. Even if you didn't care for the tank or the way they rushed you through, you have to admit it was a totally diff kind of attraction for a water park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom