News Several character meet and greets to be cut at Walt Disney World as labor shortage continues

homerdance

It's really not. Disney has the added complications (compared to others in the area) in that its workforce is unionized. So *any* change to the rate structure has to be part of a labor contract negotiation.

Disney can't just say "we need more housekeepers so we will raise the starting pay.for housekeepers by $5 an hour" because that would have a ripple effect. The unions would want to them negotiate the rates for different levels of experience, years on staff, etc.. and these things usually take months to hash out. Plus then you have wall Street that will freak out if their payroll increases too much.

So no, it's not that simple.
This is dead on. But the fact is WDW is betting that long term the labor market will become less tight and doesn’t want to commit to those higher wages, unless it is for an executive They believe they can make more by offering less. Once again, if WDW wanted to raise wages (yes for everyone) this could easily e avoided. But they would rather have that extra cash be spent as bonuses for management.

Also, anyone remember the number of people Disney unceremoniously canned during the height of the pandemic ?

thomas998

Are there any other outside factors also not being considered here? Labor market moving out of Florida? Hurricane impacts? Health considerations against working in one of the most touchy-feely positions?
Wearing a Minnie or Donald head probably gives you better protection than a N95 mask. You might be touched but there's not only a barrier between your face and any guest but you could wear any mask you wanted under that head and no one would know. You could wear a gas mask and no one would know.

thomas998

They aren't the same. Even if everything else is equal, someone flipping burgers at Cosmic Rays is likely flipping a ton more burgers in the same shift as someone at a BK and that alone makes it harder. That likely applies to most hourly positions in the parks. You end up doing more work over the same amount of time for the same money you would get elsewhere.
BS on this. I did a stent at McDonalds way back when, and while we might not have had as many customers per hour as Cosmic Rays, we did have a lot less grill space and only 1 guy flipping at a time because there wasn't enough space for more. During rush times the grill was non-stop no time for a break and that rush time wasn't just an hour at a whack, it pretty much mirrored the rush times you get at WDW.

And flipping burgers is flipping burgers, when you do it at a place where the grills are set up to a specific temp and you are just going on a timer you could teach a monkey to do it. Cosmic Rays isn't some high end steak house where you can custom order your steak, its a burger joint and I'm surprised they haven't installed the robotic burger cooking machines yet.

Schweino

BS on this. I did a stent at McDonalds way back when, and while we might not have had as many customers per hour as Cosmic Rays, we did have a lot less grill space and only 1 guy flipping at a time because there wasn't enough space for more. During rush times the grill was non-stop no time for a break and that rush time wasn't just an hour at a whack, it pretty much mirrored the rush times you get at WDW.

And flipping burgers is flipping burgers, when you do it at a place where the grills are set up to a specific temp and you are just going on a timer you could teach a monkey to do it. Cosmic Rays isn't some high end steak house where you can custom order your steak, its a burger joint and I'm surprised they haven't installed the robotic burger cooking machines yet.
I mean to be technical, does anyone have the data that shows the number of burgers flipped in a 4 hour shift at McD or Wendys versus Cosmic Rays? Don't think that exists, so it's all assumption based.

I agree with you though - it's the same darn job and I don't see one being more 'demanding' than another.

DisneyDebRob

It’s real simple. They have the money to pay them. They just don’t. End of story.
Record profits… and yet the defenders still come out for them. I’m not saying they should be making 25 bucks a hour but up the salary a few bucks and they won’t have a “ labor shortage “. Most companies have realized that after the pandemic. Some haven’t I see.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It’s real simple. They have the money to pay them. They just don’t. End of story.
Record profits… and yet the defenders still come out for them. I’m not saying they should be making 25 bucks a hour but up the salary a few bucks and they won’t have a “ labor shortage “. Most companies have realized that after the pandemic. Some haven’t I see.
The defenders? As in the ones who recognize the labor shortage is a national issue and not a WDW specific one? No, it’s not simple. At least not in the way you want it to be. Putting labor shortage in quotes doesn’t make it a fake problem. I’m sorry to say. As I mentioned previously, I’m dealing with it in my industry as well and throwing money at the problem (not even considering how much operating costs have raised in recent years) isn’t going to make it go away.

Dranth

Maybe.

The two people I know who have done both said MK was MUCH worse.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It’s not just the skill required of the primary task. Things like commute and flexible scheduling also play a role. Just getting to Cosmic Ray’s is most likely harder than getting to a Wendy’s.
Fifteen years ago, I'd probably agree. But the "commute" time from West Clock to your site is paid now.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
They aren't the same. Even if everything else is equal, someone flipping burgers at Cosmic Rays is likely flipping a ton more burgers in the same shift as someone at a BK and that alone makes it harder. That likely applies to most hourly positions in the parks. You end up doing more work over the same amount of time for the same money you would get elsewhere.
I'm sorry but this just isn't true.

lazyboy97o

Fifteen years ago, I'd probably agree. But the "commute" time from West Clock to your site is paid now.
But it’s not just things like the walk time. They’re not getting paid for driving to the parks, which are likely further than a local fast food place. Scheduling is probably more flexible at the local fast food joint. Those can be big factors, especially if you’re someone like a student.

Ddad4

I’m not sure Disney knows what to do with CPs. I talked to some recently who are consistently scheduled 30-32 hours per week. Far from being overworked, they have to push to get hours. They are also scheduled for just 6 hour shifts so have to work a sixth day to pick up extra.

Disorbust

Disney should consider their labor economics better. Universal started there housing well before Disney did and between the two I am guessing it will be done much faster by Universal. Never understood why they have all the "management" professional internships instead of giving cast a chance to move up. What is the Orlando labor market going to look like when Epic Universe really gets moving? Orlando Sentinel recently had an article on the amount-of jobs that is going to bring in an already tight labor market.

Many "kids" and retirees worked there for the perks, now they have limited admissions and really can Cast even afford to visit/eat in the parks on entry level wages?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom