News Several character meet and greets to be cut at Walt Disney World as labor shortage continues

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Better…

Because for a second I thought you were saying that something Always included in the daily ticket price that everyone pays should be dumped for the short hour night things 5x a week that the diehards are paying double for?

I knew that couldn’t be right. 👍🏻
You wouldn't catch me at an after hours party in 2022 considering what I paid just 5 years ago.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Gotta stay hydrated.
…keep going man.

Also when you “dry out”…you should tweet follow Robert Reich.
Now he has zero credibility…because he and his 90’s bosses are a huge part of the problem…

…but in his old age he’s gotten brutally honest about “labor shortages” and “inflation”

The truth should have its day. Every day…actually.

el_super

Is it possible that companies want to use “labor shortage” as a justification for price increases…without actually increasing their labor costs?

No. This labor shortage is drastically increasing onboarding costs (recruiting/training/retention). The price increases might not even cover the true cost of the labor shortage, and if anything, they might need to raise prices again in order to drastically reduce attendance to allow for more Main Entrance Pass availability as another retention tool.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I don't think it's that complicated, either. I've read a lot about the shortage (hey, I work for a tech firm where we have the exact same challenges for about 2 years now) and IMO a lot of the 'problems' are the result of remote work opportunities. While I have not found 2022 data, but with remote workers tripling, and other companies finding that they don't need to shop local to find talent, this is taking away from the talent pool that local companies relied on. Why would I go work at BK for a lower wage when I can go work customer support for Company Bravo for 6 bucks more an hour and work remotely?

If remote work doesn't go away, companies will either need to increase their talent pool (via offering 'entry' jobs with relocation packages, which is costly) or increase the incentive (higher pay/better benefits) so they can compete with outside companies offering remote work.

…it’s close to it.

Is it possible that companies want to use “labor shortage” as a justification for price increases…without actually increasing their labor costs?

What is a company has a really dumb…really BALD ceo?

It's really not. Disney has the added complications (compared to others in the area) in that its workforce is unionized. So *any* change to the rate structure has to be part of a labor contract negotiation.

Disney can't just say "we need more housekeepers so we will raise the starting pay.for housekeepers by $5 an hour" because that would have a ripple effect. The unions would want to them negotiate the rates for different levels of experience, years on staff, etc.. and these things usually take months to hash out. Plus then you have wall Street that will freak out if their payroll increases too much.

So no, it's not that simple.

WorldExplorer

That is very depressing. Especially since the meet and greet lineup is still truncated.

Back down to a grand total of one member of the Fab Five available to meet at the most popular park.

This for the next few weeks until Christmas offerings open. There simply isn’t the staffing available currently in general but especially with rehearsals ongoing.

That's less depressing, but still sucks to see it happen at all.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No. This labor shortage is drastically increasing onboarding costs (recruiting/training/retention). The price increases might not even cover the true cost of the labor shortage, and if anything, they might need to raise prices again in order to drastically reduce attendance to allow for more Main Entrance Pass availability as another retention tool.
That’s…one “take”…
It's really not. Disney has the added complications (compared to others in the area) in that its workforce is unionized. So *any* change to the rate structure has to be part of a labor contract negotiation.

Disney can't just say "we need more housekeepers so we will raise the starting pay.for housekeepers by $5 an hour" because that would have a ripple effect. The unions would want to them negotiate the rates for different levels of experience, years on staff, etc.. and these things usually take months to hash out. Plus then you have wall Street that will freak out if their payroll increases too much.

So no, it's not that simple.
Dude…it’s a “right to work” state…non-binding unions are a smokescreen…you know this

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom