Seven Seas Lagoon and other Namesakes

devoy1701

Original Poster
Does anyone know how the Seven Seas Lagoon got its name? I've been thinking about it for the past couple days and in all of the books I've read, I don't think I've ever seen anything mention how it came to be known as the Seven Seas Lagoon....

This would also be a good thread to through in some other "and this is how that came to be" facts... :wave:

cblodg

Does anyone know how the Seven Seas Lagoon got its name? I've been thinking about it for the past couple days and in all of the books I've read, I don't think I've ever seen anything mention how it came to be known as the Seven Seas Lagoon....

This would also be a good thread to through in some other "and this is how that came to be" facts... :wave:

Originally there were going to be several different hotels around the lagoon. Each on themed to a different county/continent, thus giving the name the Seven Seas Lagoon. Those other hotels never took shape, but the name remains today.

rsoxguy

Originally there were going to be several different hotels around the lagoon. Each on themed to a different county/continent, thus giving the name the Seven Seas Lagoon. Those other hotels never took shape, but the name remains today.
Very interesting. Thanks for the tidbit.

devoy1701

Original Poster

So I'm guessing seven resorts?

I thought there were plans for an Arabian resort on the lagoon, and the only other resort I can think of was the Venetian but I'm pretty sure that was planned for Bay Lake just north of the Contemporary...

anyone know the other resorts??? :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Try a thread search for Asian resort, Venitian Resort and Persian Resort :wave:

There were only 3 resorts planned for Seven Seas in the late 60's, the Persian and Tempo Bay/Contemporary are Bay Lake resorts.

The Seven Seas Lagoon was named since it was marketed as the worlds largest man made `sea` - in popular culture the seven seas are the seven largest oceans on the planet, and WDW was trying to say it had one as big and as good as the real ones. My.... how things were simpler in 1971!

Since we`re on the topic, Floridian Way was still named Asian Way until the Grand Floridian was opened - as late as 1981 the Asian was still expected to be built.

Angiekay

When we were at WDW in June last year, our boat captain told us the Seven Seas Lagoon got its name because it has water in it from all seven seas.

devoy1701

Original Poster
Try a thread search for Asian resort, Venitian Resort and Persian Resort :wave:

There were only 3 resorts planned for Seven Seas in the late 60's, the Persian and Tempo Bay/Contemporary are Bay Lake resorts.

The Seven Seas Lagoon was named since it was marketed as the worlds largest man made `sea` - in popular culture the seven seas are the seven largest oceans on the planet, and WDW was trying to say it had one as big and as good as the real ones. My.... how things were simpler in 1971!

Since we`re on the topic, Floridian Way was still named Asian Way until the Grand Floridian was opened - as late as 1981 the Asian was still expected to be built.

Thanks for the expanded explanation Martin! :wave:

devoy1701

Original Poster
Hey devoy! :wave: I joined the dtuneslive.com last night and I love it!

cool cool! Glad you are enjoying it! I'll send u a PM tonight or tomorrow when I have some time so I can share a secret about the website with you. I replied to one of your posts over there btw...

TheDisneyMagic

When we were at WDW in June last year, our boat captain told us the Seven Seas Lagoon got its name because it has water in it from all seven seas.

I don't think that is true, but Communicore Fountain/Fountain of Nations has water from each of the countries from the World Showcase.

Horizons1

I don't think that is true, but Communicore Fountain/Fountain of Nations has water from each of the countries from the World Showcase.

More like had. :lol:

Unless they dip a bottle into the lagoon in front of each nation in WS, technically that is water from each country in WS. Hmm, I think we now know how water arrived so fast for Epcot's 25th.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
More like had. :lol:

Unless they dip a bottle into the lagoon in front of each nation in WS, technically that is water from each country in WS. Hmm, I think we now know how water arrived so fast for Epcot's 25th.
water_20hose_small.jpg
:lookaroun

brkgnews

Not too dissimilar from how they just gave up on naming the contemporary resort something different, and just used its descriptive title. :lol:

devoy1701

Original Poster
Not too dissimilar from how they just gave up on naming the contemporary resort something different, and just used its descriptive title. :lol:

were there some suggestions on another name for the resort?

btw, thanks for the info for those who have provided...I love hearing about how things came to be and about those things that never got to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom