Seven Dwarves Mine Train the longest Disney attraction ever created and constructed.

roj2323

Just like having to walk through lines of parked strollers at MK?

It would be nice if they could do something about that. On some days I'd rather be driving in Chicago's rush hour traffic than dealing with the inconsiderate fools who bring double wide strollers and push them around with one hand because there kids want to be held instead. I'd say ban non park provided strollers all together but I realize that's not going to happen.

Requiring all guests to use park provided strollers would however allow for stroller drop off and pickup stations which would make navigating the park so much easier and allow parents to go without the stroller for a time if they wished. Hell they could even use FP+ RFid readers for it. scan, push the stroller in and when you want one again scan and it spits one back.

jlsHouston

Haunted Mansion still holds the record. Announced in 1961, Facade was built between 1962-1963 but the ride took six years to actually come together and opened in 1969.

Because...Walt had issues with it...but I can't remember what he had them redoing with their designs...That was more a design thing than a build thing wasn't it ?

The Empress Lilly

Haunted Mansion still holds the record. Announced in 1961, Facade was built between 1962-1963 but the ride took six years to actually come together and opened in 1969.
Fantastic show.

Build the fancy facade first. Then you can work on the attraction inside at your leisure. So much better for a park's show and visuals than a construction side right in the middle of your busiest area for half a decade.

kap91

Hasn't Disney built entire themeparks in three years?

Some yes, - with Disneyland having only taken a year. Some context is needed for that though. In many cases a signifantly larger amount of resources were pushed at them. In Disneyland's case nearly the entire park was built out of 2X4's, plywood, and mounds of dirt. Also its not like when you build a theme park in 3 years you build 36 attractions with each one only taking a month to build. You build 36 attractions and each one of them takes around 2-3 years to build.

Disney has no need to build the mine train especially quickly - it was started late compared with the rest of FLE, and they're progressing at a slow but deliberate pace. As state before, its not that Disney is incapable of building it faster (although there is a limit when you have extensive rock work like the mine train) - they simply don't need to. And 3 years is really par for the course with most modern rides Disney has built (or even Universal for that matter - transformers excluded and Diagon Alley somewhat excluded.).

kap91

:greedy:
I find this a bit worrisome. I have never and will never shop at Walmart because of the way they take advantage of their employees and their vendors. Are you telling me I better start researching the way Disney treats their contractors? BTW, I have no union affiliation, have never worked for a union, but was raised by a father who was part of the US Steel Mill Union for many, many years. I just prefer to not fund businesses that are blatenly poor employers to work for. Sorry for the rant. Please continue...

Disney isn't a Walmart but you might look into how it treats its college program. Not all sunshine and roses.

As far as Contractors goes, I don't have first hand experience with this - but I do have second hand. My relative's company has contracted with all three of the Orlando resorts with very few complaints about WDW or Seaworld - its always mainly Universal that gets the criticism (so much so they they'll rarely do business with them any more) because Universal will claim ownership of any design work done during the bidding process even if they are ultimately not selected - essentially getting design work for free from one company and then using the labor and equipment of the cheaper bid. They also get frustrated because Universal will opt for subpar equipment that happens to be cheaper.

Just one company's experience - can't say it applies to all. And this company isn't normal construction work so who knows if the same things apply elsewhere.

aladdin2007

It would be nice if they could do something about that. On some days I'd rather be driving in Chicago's rush hour traffic than dealing with the inconsiderate fools who bring double wide strollers and push them around with one hand because there kids want to be held instead. I'd say ban non park provided strollers all together but I realize that's not going to happen.

Requiring all guests to use park provided strollers would however allow for stroller drop off and pickup stations which would make navigating the park so much easier and allow parents to go without the stroller for a time if they wished. Hell they could even use FP+ RFid readers for it. scan, push the stroller in and when you want one again scan and it spits one back.

They should at least not allow them in the stores, its become horrible, the things dont fit and the stores arent large enough. Yet they race through like its a racetrack, clogging up what space there is and running people down just about. (Emporium as one example)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They should at least not allow them in the stores, its become horrible, the things dont fit and the stores arent large enough. Yet they race through like its a racetrack, clogging up what space there is and running people down just about. (Emporium as one example)

I agree to a certain point but it goes the other way too. People not being considerate to those who have strollers and stand in the middle of the aisle like they own the place. This realization came to me when I had my first kid last year. When I am out in about with my baby and the stroller, I do my best to be considerate of others around me and not block them or ram them or get in their way. And I would say most people try to be considerate of me as well. But there will always be 5-10% that don't give a crap.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Disney isn't a Walmart but you might look into how it treats its college program. Not all sunshine and roses.

As far as Contractors goes, I don't have first hand experience with this - but I do have second hand. My relative's company has contracted with all three of the Orlando resorts with very few complaints about WDW or Seaworld - its always mainly Universal that gets the criticism (so much so they they'll rarely do business with them any more) because Universal will claim ownership of any design work done during the bidding process even if they are ultimately not selected - essentially getting design work for free from one company and then using the labor and equipment of the cheaper bid. They also get frustrated because Universal will opt for subpar equipment that happens to be cheaper.

Just one company's experience - can't say it applies to all. And this company isn't normal construction work so who knows if the same things apply elsewhere.
If you submit a bid for work, then you have to abide by the contractual obligations of said bid process....If you are dumb enough to include proprietary information, then you deserve for your information to be stolen.

There is always a work-around to not telling all of your secrets when submitting bids.

One company I know simply covers there butt by saying material "as needed" to leave the bid WIDE OPEN. How they win bids is still a mystery to me.

The Empress Lilly

True. It also quite a bit bigger than a restaurant, a clone and a kiddie coaster.

Space Mountain in DLP maybe a better comparison then.

Built in two years and also onstage.
I should love to see it compared with the MKs Thunder, Splash, or Space and the entire Tomorrowland expansion (an actual expansion!). Or even Mickey's Birthdayland - but that one is a bit less complex.

All on stage, in the very same theme park for ready comparison. Got any dates within easy reach?

SJN1279

True. It also quite a bit bigger than a restaurant, a clone and a kiddie coaster.

Space Mountain in DLP maybe a better comparison then.

Built in two years and also onstage.

Seven Dwarves is probably the most attractive looking "family" coaster in the world. Barnstormer and Hippogriff are kiddie coasters......

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I should love to see it compared with the MKs Thunder, Splash, or Space and the entire Tomorrowland expansion (an actual expansion!). Or even Mickey's Birthdayland - but that one is a bit less complex.

All on stage, in the very same theme park for ready comparison. Got any dates within easy reach?
Are you still saying that the Fantasyland Expansion is NOT an expansion?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Disney isn't a Walmart but you might look into how it treats its college program.e.
My kid did two college programs and then for a short stint trained incoming CPs. You are correct. Some roles are horrid, some supervisors treat the CPs badly because it is difficult for CPs to defend themselves. My son both times had very plum positions. Only a couple of CPs in those roles. He had mother hens that watched out over her charges. I highly recommend the program it opened doors for my son but the roles are critical. Do a lot of
Research and have some experience in the roles you wish to be placed in it helps.

Now the place I'd never ever allow a kid of mine work is on the cruise ships as labor laws, work injuries' or even death are not subject to governing laws. It makes CPs life a freakn fairytale. Maritime law is antiquated and a recipe for hardship

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom