Seven Dwarves Mine Train the longest Disney attraction ever created and constructed.

MKCP 1985

I can't remember which was announced first - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train or Avatar-land, but I know which is further along and going to open first.

tdpolo26

Lets try not to be to naïve about a "emergencey attraction" ...I have a feeling the mine coaster was always going to be there.... lets face it Disney loves to leave a trail of bread crumbs and misdirection.... (they never give straight dates times or directions with anything). I think they just were holding what they feel is there ace to announce later to gather more excitement. That way for the next several years they always have something big to announce. They get two announcements for the price of one. Two fantasy land openings. Also give them a reason to stretch out the spending a bit. When they release avatar sketches they will prolly do the same thing leave a huge area as a thoughtfull spot then in 8 months pretend to be the white knight and add another coaster. I personally don't care how they do it as long as its cool and I get to ride it lol

lazyboy97o

Lets try not to be to naïve about a "emergencey attraction" ...I have a feeling the mine coaster was always going to be there.... lets face it Disney loves to leave a trail of bread crumbs and misdirection.... (they never give straight dates times or directions with anything). I think they just were holding what they feel is there ace to announce later to gather more excitement. That way for the next several years they always have something big to announce. They get two announcements for the price of one. Two fantasy land openings. Also give them a reason to stretch out the spending a bit. When they release avatar sketches they will prolly do the same thing leave a huge area as a thoughtfull spot then in 8 months pretend to be the white knight and add another coaster. I personally don't care how they do it as long as its cool and I get to ride it lol
Except that something else had been previously announced for the space...

Monorail Mike

Haunted Mansion still holds the record. Announced in 1961, Facade was built between 1962-1963 but the ride took six years to actually come together and opened in 1969.

They were probably a little busy getting everything together for the 1964 world's fair and planning for the Florida Project around that time, so poor HM got delayed.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

They were probably a little busy getting everything together for the 1964 world's fair and planning for the Florida Project around that time, so poor HM got delayed.
If I remember my Disney history correctly, the Mine Train was in the original plan for Fantasyland (in the same exact spot). So that would make it 43 years late?
Where are you getting that the attraction is that old? It was part of the original pitches for what became New Fantasyland.

lazyboy97o

true but I think that was the smoke and mirrors ... maybe they were hoping there wouldn't be outrage over that and they could put it in .....
Operational realities and a different head of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts killed the meet and greets, not any outrage.

Pixie VaVoom

that would be Jan 8-12 , just in case your trying to plan around it haha~
Yeah, I would have to plan around it ...I am rather "Winnie the Pooh" shaped (but working on it) - if I didn't plan AROUND it I would be afraid that they would plan right OVER me !!

Actually - DH has never been before and we are going 1/18 - 1/25...so I will throw my wishes towards an early soft opening also. I have always loved the dwarves.

tor29c

:greedy:
It's taking so long because Disney can't find contractors to work for free...they nickel and dime all the local contractors so much that many don't even want to work for Disney.
I find this a bit worrisome. I have never and will never shop at Walmart because of the way they take advantage of their employees and their vendors. Are you telling me I better start researching the way Disney treats their contractors? BTW, I have no union affiliation, have never worked for a union, but was raised by a father who was part of the US Steel Mill Union for many, many years. I just prefer to not fund businesses that are blatenly poor employers to work for. Sorry for the rant. Please continue...

RSoxNo1

Where are you getting that the attraction is that old? It was part of the original pitches for what became New Fantasyland.
Even in "dog years" that didn't make sense. ;)
If we're splitting hairs, Walt Disney wanted a Mine Train attraction at some point. The Mine Train was rumored before the leaked blue prints and it wasn't included in those or the 2009 D23 Expo. The rumors started in mid-late 2010 and it was officially announced in January 2011.

MOXOMUMD

If we're splitting hairs, Walt Disney wanted a Mine Train attraction at some point. The Mine Train was rumored before the leaked blue prints and it wasn't included in those or the 2009 D23 Expo. The rumors started in mid-late 2010 and it was officially announced in January 2011.
Correct. But the post that lead to my quote said the mine train plans were from 43 years ago.

Tony Perkis

The size of the new diagon alley is incredible, the one thing I am concerned about is the popularity of the area and the tightness of the walkways and buildings. I feel like that place is just going to be jam packed full of people not being able to move.
Just like having to walk through lines of parked strollers at MK?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom