Seven Dwarves Mine Ride Construction

Tom

Beta Return
Thanks Fellas :cool:

This thing has a pretty big footprint despite the supposed length of the ride. I cant imagine what the original plan looked like...

It had more track, more curves, a helix, and possibly another hill...although I'm not certain on that one.

Mike730

It had more track, more curves, a helix, and possibly another hill...although I'm not certain on that one.

I'm sure it had much more track, but im guessing it was a bit more vertical in terms of track layout. It seems like there isn't to much room to expand outwards.

Mike730

I took the recent google maps imagery and came up with this. I think it's a little more accurate.
overheadr.jpg

CinematicFusion

This ride should have been on the eticket level of Winnie the pooh in Japan. (I think it's Japan) it doesn't have to be a thrill ride. This should have been the eticket highlight of the expansion, the center piece. Families should have left Disney saying its the best family dark ride they have ever been on. Not thrilling but magical, enchanting.
Disney imagineers only get a few shots to create a legendary experience....it's why we pay so much money to go to the parks...to be blown away. It's why they have their jobs...they want to blow us away. My family goes about every 5 years...next visit will be in 2014. Do I go to Disneyland or disneyworld . Looking like Disneyland this time. I want to ride the newest and best. Cars land looks like a true winner.
Harry potter is a true winner.
How do you decide to spend 500 million on an expansion and not try and make the best family friendly e ticket attractions to date. It's like if it's for a family...it means you can half- the concept. After all, it's just for family.

spacemt354

Chili's
How do you decide to spend 500 million on an expansion and not try and make the best family friendly e ticket attractions to date. It's like if it's for a family...it means you can half- the concept. After all, it's just for family.
I'm not sure we can really grade this expansion yet because we haven't seen the finished product yet. Yes, some of the attractions were just rethemes of the old attractions (Barnstormer, Dumbo etc) but if you think about it, the Harry Potter land did the same thing and added one E-ticket ride. They rethemed the dueling dragons coaster which was already there and the hippogriff ride which was also there as well. Alot of people have gained an interest in the Harry Potter land because of the immersive themeing and attention to detail. That is what I think the Disney Imagineers focused their money on during the fantasyland expansion. From the models we've seen, just the sheer amount of trees and water effects will offer an entirely new experience when walking through the land. And within that area, we are getting a new dining option, and two brand new rides, in addition to several well-themed m&g areas that offer kids and kids at heart the same thrill as an E-ticket ride would. Now, the Mermaid ride and the mine train, are those going to be on the thrill level of Space Mountain?... probably not. But the new scenery and detail are the things I am most looking forward to, and I don't think the Imagineers will slack off on that.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
That's such a 15 year-old boy response to Disney Imagineering. Everything they do is geared to the family. This is Fantasyland, not craptastic IoA or USO. Of course if the theme was Snow White it was going to be a more "pleasant" coaster than a high-octane, face-melting experience. Please know what you're talking about, and know what Disney stands for, and what they've promised, and left them finish it before you make such a stupid comment next time.

Oh, the irony.....

Tom

Beta Return
I'm not sure we can really grade this expansion yet because we haven't seen the finished product yet. Yes, some of the attractions were just rethemes of the old attractions (Barnstormer, Dumbo etc) but if you think about it, the Harry Potter land did the same thing and added one E-ticket ride. They rethemed the dueling dragons coaster which was already there and the hippogriff ride which was also there as well. Alot of people have gained an interest in the Harry Potter land because of the immersive themeing and attention to detail. That is what I think the Disney Imagineers focused their money on during the fantasyland expansion. From the models we've seen, just the sheer amount of trees and water effects will offer an entirely new experience when walking through the land. And within that area, we are getting a new dining option, and two brand new rides, in addition to several well-themed m&g areas that offer kids and kids at heart the same thrill as an E-ticket ride would. Now, the Mermaid ride and the mine train, are those going to be on the thrill level of Space Mountain?... probably not. But the new scenery and detail are the things I am most looking forward to, and I don't think the Imagineers will slack off on that.

We definitely can't pass judgement of the whole of the FLE project yet, but we can all agree that Cars Land has set the bar, and now WDW's expansion has to live up to it.

You make good points about HP land and that it accomplished the same physical changes as FLE (plus one ride, plus dining) - but Universal capitalized on an epic franchise. Disney isn't an epic franchise anymore since the decline of the studios. If it wasn't for Pixar, how much of the market share would Disney have in the movie industry these days?

So, Disney's "answer" to Potter (as many have labeled it) is to capitalize on 20-year-old animated features. Granted, they chose arguably two of the best in their arsenal, but they're still 20-year-old movies, produced by a studio that doesn't even animate anymore.

I'm still excited for the addition, but only because it's SOMETHING NEW for a change. Not because it's our version of Cars Land. It will definitely look nice and offer a somewhat immersive experience, but not on the scale of actually being in Radiator Springs.

bubbles1812

That's such a 15 year-old boy response to Disney Imagineering. Everything they do is geared to the family. This is Fantasyland, not craptastic IoA or USO. Of course if the theme was Snow White it was going to be a more "pleasant" coaster than a high-octane, face-melting experience. Please know what you're talking about, and know what Disney stands for, and what they've promised, and left them finish it before you make such a stupid comment next time.
Ah Condorman, you're back to trolling...good to see you in fine form :rolleyes: The poster you replied to has valid points. The ride could have been really great and at an E ticket level but as the TDO are want to do, they have scaled it back tremendously. Right now it's D ticket at best...much more a Barnstormer than a Big Thunder. As with NFE, while nice, this isn't the best Disney could do. He wasn't even asking for a "high-octane, face-melting experience"...though you clearly missed that (though you've shown many a time that your reading comprehension skills are a bit questionable). He was asking for the Disney experience...that does not include cutting out show scenes, ride length, ect, especially on what is supposed to be the crowning jewel of the NFE expansion. It'll be nice sure, and I'm sure I'll like it, but I have no expectations that it will wow me in any way. Disney doesn't want to do that anymore at this current time...they just like scaling back. Even with this new expansion, the original plans were for an 800 million revamp...and then they cut it by a good 400 to 500 million.

Also, I'm guessing you've been to Universal recently that you are so quick to dole out such harsh judgements on a place that has completely turned things around? Oh right...you haven't. Your like JT and haven't visited probably in years.

FigmentJedi

So, Disney's "answer" to Potter (as many have labeled it) is to capitalize on 20-year-old animated features. Granted, they chose arguably two of the best in their arsenal, but they're still 20-year-old movies, produced by a studio that doesn't even animate anymore.
Sure is assuming CG is "Push Button, Receive Film" here.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Dopey

FigmentJedi

Alright, well, not exactly the focus of the point I was making. Regardless, I would argue that while not easy, it's indeed easier to animate using a computer than it was to hand draw, hand trace and hand paint cells.
You do know that even with their hand-drawn projects of the last 20 years, they were colored and inked on computers right?
And even CG takes a long time building character models and sets, rigging, skin and hair simulation, lighting and all that other stuff.
They're both valid mediums and even Disney's CG process still involves people drawing the scenes out as they primarily use tablet manipulation of the models in their CG movies.

You'll definitely want to see Paperman later this year when it comes out in front of Wreck-It Ralph. It's a new short that features a new method for fusing 2D and CG animation together and it'll apparently find use in the next Musker and Clements project a few years down the line.

bubbles1812

You do know that even with their hand-drawn projects of the last 20 years, they were colored and inked on computers right?
And even CG takes a long time building character models and sets, rigging, skin and hair simulation, lighting and all that other stuff.
They're both valid mediums and even Disney's CG process still involves people drawing the scenes out as they primarily use tablet manipulation of the models in their CG movies.

You'll definitely want to see Paperman later this year when it comes out in front of Wreck-It Ralph. It's a new short that features a new method for fusing 2D and CG animation together and it'll apparently find use in the next Musker and Clements project a few years down the line.

That sounds really really interesting. Could you elaborate a little on the new method? Is it totally new or are there other examples of where it has already been applied? I'm really looking forward to seeing Wreck-It Ralph. Think it looks great! And yeah, I'd agree, CG isn't exactly easy and I do know they used it in everything from the last 20 years. I do have the greatest respect for the people who did actually make all those movies fully hand drawn back in the day though.

Tom

Beta Return

Touche.

Magenta Panther

Whatever the AAs look like in the ride, let's just be glad they won't look like THIS:

7dseries.jpg

Believe it or not, THOSE are the new Seven Dwarfs. Disney hired some hack to redesign them for a new Disney channel preschool show called "7D". If you'll excuse me, I need to go have a lie-down...

Donald96

I wouldn't underate the main show scene of this rollercoaster just yet... It should have some pretty cool effects if the plans are still the same as the last time I saw them. (which I'm pretty sure they are)

Vernonpush

I wouldn't underate the main show scene of this rollercoaster just yet... It should have some pretty cool effects if the plans are still the same as the last time I saw them. (which I'm pretty sure they are)
I hope it's as good as the main show scene of the last rollercoaster they made.... and I hope it works longer (than the Yeti).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom