Seven Dwarf's Mine Train ride expectations?

RandySavage

The only surprise was the Toy Story Land.

I was surprised (dismayed) by that as well... seems like an unnecessary affront to the HKDL operators - who have a desire (and rightly so) for unique HK-only features (Chinese politics at work?)

The most interesting thing about this official plan to me is the inclusion of a Soarin' ride building in Adventureland (in the Mayan section just east of the Rapids). Possibly a first expansion after opening project?

118124d1342645990-disneyland-shanghai-db_2012_0718_sdl_map11.jpg

Kuhio

The most interesting thing about this official plan to me is the inclusion of a Soarin' ride building in Adventureland (in the Mayan section just east of the Rapids). Possibly a first expansion after opening project?

What's also interesting to me is the fact that it's in Adventureland. If the next Soarin' "update" is Soarin' Over the World (or has it been canceled?), set in the present and featuring contemporary landmarks, it would seem a bit inconsistent with the standard Adventureland setting.

Unless... it's an entirely new, theme-appropriate attraction using the Soarin' platform... something like an Island at the Top of the World ride? I wouldn't object too much to that!

Pixiedustmaker

So we should throw out the millennia of human societies who enjoyed pleasure gardens, botanical gardens, nature walks....or the fact that Disney modeled Disneyland after these Tivoli-like parks...or the inclination Chinese people have for the traditional Chinese rock garden; which is what this, a park in China, is trying to emulate.

How much research did you do before you came up with these criticisms, because I know the WDI team ACTUALLY WENT TO CHINA.

Way to overrreact. You should be banned from ever stepping foot in another Disney Park again.

I don't think that the new park needs a Main Street USA, only some sort of street which leads up to the castle, MSUSA actually acts as a sort of guest sponge, without it you'd have all the guests making a beeline for the castle/lands. The idea of a street leading to a hub and a castle works, you can add whatever type of Street you want, maybe something from Chinese culture, like I suggested.

All Disney parks have great landscaping, but if you have too much of it then it gets boring, IMHO. Even the Chinese will expect something upgraded from a simple Chinese rock garden, IMHO. Remember, Hong Kong Disenyland had a lot of neat landscaping . . . but few rides, and failed to meet attendance goals.

I take back saying that somebody should be fired, that was a bit much, it was a gut reaction. But I do think that parks with confusing layouts are a bit harder to understand where you are on the map, and thus detract from the overall experience.

I see a lot of oddly placed walkways, and jarring "decision points" on the map, such as when you enter and immediately hit this gigantic hub with a lake in it. You want to give guests time to stroll through a pleasant area, like Main Street, not that you immediately hit the wall and have to decide left or right even before you get to the castle. I think that the entrance street/main street should be straight and that a symmetrical hub with a castle is a good beginning, especially as guests new to the park are pulling out maps, then later when you enter a land the pathways can become, more or less irregular. There are a lot of ways to get twisted around in this park before you hit the castle . . .

Basically, you have an entrance which is twisty-turny like the Oasis in Animal Kingdom, which sort of goes with the adventurous feel of that park. I've been to Animal Kingdom a lot, and years ago even I got turned around for a minute or so. But does the same "organic" random twisty-turny paths work for a castle park? Maybe this is why the castle is so big, so you don't get turned around.

CinematicFusion

Found some small tidbits today...

Eric Jacobson, senior vice president of creative of Walt Disney Imagineering, recently shared a few tidbits about the Fantasyland expansion at Magic Kingdom.

•On what we'll see at the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train roller coaster: "In the ['Snow White'] song, it says 'where a million diamonds shine.' We want to pull out the million-diamond shine on the inside and have really a lot of fun with them going back to the cottage, see Snow White then celebrate at the end of the day."

•On if we'll see bits of the closed Snow White's Scary Adventures on the ride: "Never say never — but I don't have anything that I can really share with you yet."

•On tents seen in the Fantasyland renderings: Those are "new experiences that are coming at a later date."

RandySavage

^I'm can't read the attraction labels (don't know of a higher-res version), but certain structures are identifiable from a park planner's eye - the distinctive Soarin showbuilding (with twin theaters and elongated queue hall) being one of them.

I also believe the area just north of Seven Dwarves coaster is 100 Acre Wood (with Hunnypots replacing Teacups) and the same Pooh ride as in MK and HKDL.

What I'm really curious about is the large showbuilding in Northwestern fantasyland... bigger than MK's Pooh, but smaller than a standard IASW. Maybe a new application of the Hunny Hunt ride system.

For fun, I drew this 7 months ago by studying the birdseye concept art and angled photos of that tiny massing model at D23. Layout wasn't too far off:
Blog+-+SDL+2016.PNG

What's also interesting to me is the fact that it's in Adventureland. If the next Soarin' "update" is Soarin' Over the World (or has it been canceled?), set in the present and featuring contemporary landmarks, it would seem a bit inconsistent with the standard Adventureland setting.

Unless... it's an entirely new, theme-appropriate attraction using the Soarin' platform... something like an Island at the Top of the World ride? I wouldn't object too much to that!
That would be interesting. I once came across some concept art (maybe by a WDI) of a Mayan-themed (quetzalcoatl) version of Soarin.

Lee

Adventurer
I have heard of a ride using the Soaring' system for Shanghai, but Adventureland isn't where I expected it. Obviously that's a future possible addition.
I have art showing Everest as future expansion, too, but I don't see it on that map.

WEDway1975

^I'm can't read the attraction labels (don't know of a higher-res version), but certain structures are identifiable from a park planner's eye - the distinctive Soarin showbuilding (with twin theaters and elongated queue hall) being one of them.

I also believe the area just north of Seven Dwarves coaster is 100 Acre Wood (with Hunnypots replacing Teacups) and the same Pooh ride as in MK and HKDL.

What I'm really curious about is the large showbuilding in Northwestern fantasyland... bigger than MK's Pooh, but smaller than a standard IASW. Maybe a new application of the Hunny Hunt ride system.

For fun, I drew this 7 months ago by studying the birdseye concept art and angled photos of that tiny massing model at D23. Layout wasn't too far off:
Blog+-+SDL+2016.PNG
So, no HM, no Jungle Cruise, no Frontierland, no PPF, no "It's a Small World", not even Space Mountain! Well their plans could change and they could add the rides that I've listed or they could add these rides in expansion since they have a lot of expansion lots but it's still sad not to see these classic rides on the map.:(

RandySavage

^ Don't go by my drawing for that type of confirmation of what's officially in or out. I've read rumors that Peter Pan's Flight is on the roster for Shanghai (possibly the showbuilding just below ToyStoryLand in the official blurry plan).

This is the relevant plan:

But the official plan does indicate that most of the staples you mentioned will not be present... a very good thing, IMO. I personally think it makes the most business sense to have little to no overlap with Hong Kong Disneyland (win-win for SDL & HKDL), which is why I'm disappointed Pooh and Toy Story Land seem to be (were) on the plate for Shanghai.

Of note, the D23 Massing Model (from 2011) was based on a site plan very similar to the blurry one, but had neither Soarin nor Toy Storyland on it, which means those two could have been axed during the rumored Shangai budget squeeze.

WEDway1975

^ Don't go by my drawing for that type of confirmation of what's officially in or out. I've read rumors that Peter Pan's Flight is on the roster for Shanghai (possibly the showbuilding just below ToyStoryLand in the official blurry plan).

This is the relevant plan:

But the official plan does indicate that most of the staples you mentioned will not be present... a very good thing, IMO. I personally think it makes the most business sense to have little to no overlap with Hong Kong Disneyland (win-win for SDL & HKDL), which is why I'm disappointed Pooh and Toy Story Land seem to be (were) on the plate for Shanghai.

Of note, the D23 Massing Model (from 2011) was based on a site plan very similar to the blurry one, but had neither Soarin nor Toy Storyland on it, which means those two could have been axed during the rumored Shangai budget squeeze.
Okay, thanks for explaining that because I was really confuse! lol

doctornick

Yeah, lifts are a cheaters way of making a coaster seem longer.

Well, to be fair to the 7DMT, one of the lifts is apparently going to be indoors and is part of the larger show scenes. So, it's not exactly wasted time just there to make the ride longer. Spending time on that lift will probably be a high point of the ride.

The other lift is IIRC outdoors. I think that one will be more plain. I guess one question I have is how much outdoor scenes will be present. We know about the "drawfs walking on the tree bridge" scene that will be part of the ride but will there be other scenes or just rockwork?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom