Sentinel - Disney World draining, filling in long-abandoned River Country pool

BalooChicago

I think it PR. When someone gets Zika, if they hadn't filled in River Country, is there any doubt that it would not be featured front and center? "Despite concerns about mosquitoes Disney has allowed River Country to sit stagnant for more than a decade, here's some photos of the abandoned park in disrepair". I doubt there is any real concern. I'm sure they have had some sort of abatement plan before Zika was ever a concern. Plus, as others have said its a potential attractive nuisance.

montyz81

Was there ever any music playing specific to River Country? I know music still plays on the outskirts of the park, but thought maybe back in the day, they had their own BMG.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
When did they start the fill in project? Could this be part of an over arching liability assessment done after the gator incident. You know disney lawyers looking at everything and pointing out the things thathat have been overlooked for a long time?

Just close everything forever that will take care of the pesky liability problems...

21stamps

Just close everything forever that will take care of the pesky liability problems...
Right?! Maybe they just had the totally crazy thought that, ya know, people may actually follow rules and not go where they aren't allowed. There is nothing wrong with an abandoned park, and there is not any good reason to demolish it..why spend money on something that isn't impacting anything else? Oh, it's because we have to protect everyone from idiots.

I'm not talking about filling in the pool, I'm referring to the people here who say the whole place needs to be leveled.

Last edited:

OliveMcFly

How natural is the other body of water in the park? I always thought it was similar to a pool. Would that area attract them as well?

21stamps

How natural is the other body of water in the park? I always thought it was similar to a pool. Would that area attract them as well?
It was water from Bay Lake. It was filtered or something, but no chlorine.

Edited to add- to answer your question though, no it shouldn't make mosquitos any worse. They tend to like smaller water, which is why people are told to empty water filled buckets, bird baths, etc. We can't start filling in lakes all over the state.

Last edited:

raven

River Country can be kind of creepy (seeing the fact that the music still plays) .
The video of the explorer that went to RC when the music was playing was from MANY years ago. I haven't seen any videos of recent visits there that confirm the music is still on. But mind you, the chickens may like it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Right?! Maybe they just had the totally crazy thought that, ya know, people may actually follow rules and not go where they aren't allowed. There is nothing wrong with an abandoned park, and there is not any good reason to demolish it..why spend money on something that isn't impacting anything else? Oh, it's because we have to protect everyone from idiots.

I'm not talking about filling in the pool, I'm referring to the people here who say the whole place needs to be leveled.

If the lawyers are allowed to remove all risk from the world well it would be a pretty dull place.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Edited to add- to answer your question though, no it shouldn't make mosquitos any worse. They tend to like smaller water, which is why people are told to empty water filled buckets, bird baths, etc. We can't start filling in lakes all over the state.

Sure you can the Soccer moms will demand it so they can be 'safe' from the latest boogeyman.

raven

That is basically my reference for that comment, but, I wanted to stay out of any political discussion. However, it did apply to more then one discussion. I'm hoping against hope that the message sinks into some pretty thick skulls.
Hey, I caught it and thought your comment was brilliant and spot on! ;)

But there are indeed a couple of places where it's quit simple to get into RC as I suspect could me the way many have.

Goofyernmost

As to walls well the Berlin, Great Wall of China and Hadrian's wall worked pretty well to respectively keep in and out the various populations.
I can't speak for the last two, but, the Berlin wall had many folks get over it, around it and under it. It also took a pretty massive sized Army to patrol it 24/7 as well. The other two were well before we all had ways to fly over, if we wanted too.

21stamps

If the lawyers are allowed to remove all risk from the world well it would be a pretty dull place.
Yes. Yes, it would be. It saddens me that people are ok with the "fun" being stripped away little by not-so-little. By the time my child is an adult there will be nothing left, and everyone will be walking around in bubble suits.
Sure you can the Soccer moms will demand it so they can be 'safe' from the latest boogeyman.
Hey now!!!! I'm a Soccer Mom. My friends are Soccer Moms. Don't lump us in that group!!!!
As to walls well the Berlin, Great Wall of China and Hadrian's wall worked pretty well to respectively keep in and out the various populations.
How many times do I need to say this????!!!???!!!! You can not use logic on the interwebs!!!!!! I mean if some can get in...then we may as well just leave it open for all. It only makes sense.
Oh, someone can break the rules and enter an abandoned water park at WDW, going in to clearly restricted areas, and could potentially get hurt?--- Ok, we must assume that everyone will do it..so let's spend money, raise everyone's prices, so that temptation doesn't exist. While we're at it, let's just demolish and close everything that has potential for stupid people to get injured.
I just CAN NOT understand that line of thinking.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes. Yes, it would be. It saddens me that people are ok with the "fun" being stripped away little by not-so-little. By the time my child is an adult there will be nothing left, and everyone will be walking around in bubble suits.

Hey now!!!! I'm a Soccer Mom. My friends are Soccer Moms. Don't lump us in that group!!!!

How many times do I need to say this????!!!???!!!! You can not use logic on the interwebs!!!!!! I mean if some can get in...then we may as well just leave it open for all. It only makes sense.
Oh, someone can break the rules and enter an abandoned water park at WDW, going in to clearly restricted areas, and could potentially get hurt?--- Ok, we must assume that everyone will do it..so let's spend money, raise everyone's prices, so that temptation doesn't exist. While we're at it, let's just demolish and close everything that has potential for stupid people to get injured.

There is a big difference between "Moms whose kids play soccer" and a "Soccer Mom" my DSIL is one of the latter...

OliveMcFly

Thanks a lot!

Goofyernmost

I guess you need to say it one more time because I have no idea what you are trying to say. We should or we shouldn't? If we should make sure that we make places safe for the dumbest of people, then, unfortunately, we should. Survival of the fittest went the way of the Dino's. Lawyers also helped make that idea a history. And for our own security, yes, we do need to demolish or close everything that has a potential hazard because it is no longer just the stupid person that pays for our negligence, we pay dearly for that also. Other then that... I'm really not sure what your message is.

21stamps

I guess you need to say it one more time because I have no idea what you are trying to say. We should or we shouldn't? If we should make sure that we make places safe for the dumbest of people, then, unfortunately, we should. Survival of the fittest went the way of the Dino's. Lawyers also helped make that idea a history. And for our own security, yes, we do need to demolish or close everything that has a potential hazard because it is no longer just the stupid person that pays for our negligence, we pay dearly for that also. Other then that... I'm really not sure what your message is.
I thought it was pretty clear. I think it's disgusting that, in current society, everyone is being punished for the stupidity of a few. This isn't just about WDW. There's no diving boards in lakes anymore, none that I know of anyway- due to liability. Certain attractions no longer exist at most theme parks- due to liability. Splash Mountain has restraints now- due to liability. Beaches at WDW now have fences around them-due to liability. Playgrounds do not have teeter totters, hamster wheels, those spinning merry go round things..all because they are 'too dangerous' now. A lot of schools have had their vending machines removed-because sweets could make someone fat, and that's dangerous.

Just so many things have been taken away, things that weren't that big of a problem in the first place. Are we going to outlaw cliff diving? People can and have died doing that. A friend of mine actually lost his life cliff diving, doing the same dive he had done hundreds of times. It was tragic. It also does not mean I think people should not be allowed to do it. People can and have died doing plenty of things, every single day that we leave our house we are taking a risk. Some people take more risks than others...some are within "the rules", some, like going into an abandoned park, are outside of the rules, and if you are doing something "outside of the rules" then a company should not be responsible for the actions of that person. If you know what you are doing is risky, yet within the rules, no one besides yourself is responsible for whatever happens. Why is that so difficult?

I don't want to sound like someone who wants to go back to the days of no car seats/boosters/bike helmets. Because I don't. My child just started 1st grade 4 days ago, and he just switched from a car seat to a high back booster in July. I'm in total fear of car accidents, because of that I left him in a car seat for a very long time, for my own comfort. That's the point though- if you are afraid of something, then take your own precautions or just don't participate in the thing you are afraid of. Do not expect everyone to have the same fears as you, and please do not punish others who may not have those fears.

I get comments on FB like "OMG you let your son go on the Slingshot at Age 5!!!!" "OMG you took your son Skyflyer today?! He's too small, they shouldn't allow it!" "OMG you took that little boy on Drop Tower?" "OMG you went boating alone and snorkeling in the middle of nowhere! Weren't you afraid of sharks?" "OMG you took him zip lining?!" "OMG you let him up in that tree?? What if he had fallen??!" "OMG Why are you guys so close to the edge of the cliff???!!!" And so on and so on.,.i always laugh at them. I don't feel that anything I take my child to do is inherently dangerous.
These comments are always only by one or two hypochondriacs. Not the majority. The point is, if you don't want to take your kid, then don't. If you don't want to do something- don't do it. Simple. You are responsible for you. No one else should be responsible for another person's actions.

Last edited:

JWG

I do not think this is any indication of plans to use this site for any immediate reason or development. Otherwise, I think they would do it as part of the total construction process. Simply draining and filling a pool doesn't sound like "DVC imminent" like actually removing the pool and site clearing or prep would.

raven

"... as long as they have booked their fastpass 60 days in advance." ;)
...or 30 days if they buy an AP. :banghead:

Back on topic. With TL constantly closing areas of the park on a regular basis due to "technical difficulties," maybe a new water park wouldn't be bad idea. Disney is only going to keep adding more and more rooms and the other two are becoming a bit tired and worn down. It's obvious RC is never going to reopen and they will demo it after they conduct all of their secret government plague tests. Maybe they can set up a waterslide in the waste treatment area. There's less diseases over there I think. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom