Sentinel - Disney World draining, filling in long-abandoned River Country pool

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
When did they start the fill in project? Could this be part of an over arching liability assessment done after the gator incident. You know disney lawyers looking at everything and pointing out the things thathat have been overlooked for a long time?

montyz81

View attachment 157742

In honor of what seems like the start of the final demise of River Country, I present to you this: I bought this on Ebay over 10 yrs ago. It was one of the original fake logs that was positioned underneath the rope ladder in River Country. This was taken today!! I'm trying to dig up an old River Country photo to show where and how these were used! But in the meantime, take comfort knowing that a little bit of River Country lives on up in New Hampshire and still brings joy to kids!
Where in nh? I want to come see a part of history that I have actually stood on in my childhood. No guarantees, I just might leave with it in my car! All kidding aside, how did you get that?

Goofyernmost

Handing out spray is effective... Filling one pool out of hundreds of retention ponds... An ineffective sledgehammer
That is the truth, however, psychologically it can have a huge impact on people that don't know any better. There are many of those. But, the likelihood of the stagnant water in the pool to be a breeding ground is much higher then in live water areas.
What benefits are there to leaving it as is? (Note, Disney has said it is NOT about Zika, btw.)
Just saying it was not about Zika makes it about Zika. Disney seldom comments on anything. They just let the public draw their own conclusions. However, saying it's not about that means that at the very least it is somewhat about that. It's a two-fer. Make it sound like they are doing everything they can about not spreading the virus and at the same time get rid of a huge liability.

SorcererMC

Just saying it was not about Zika makes it about Zika. Disney seldom comments on anything. They just let the public draw their own conclusions. However, saying it's not about that means that at the very least it is somewhat about that. It's a two-fer. Make it sound like they are doing everything they can about not spreading the virus and at the same time get rid of a huge liability.

Maybe they are saying it's not about Zika to ward off any conspiracy theories, since they are coincidentally starting to make bug spray available at the same time?
I thought that River Country was somewhat isolated from where people usually are?, which would make it less of a liability as a vector mosquito breeding ground (as Aedes aegypti typically prefers urban areas close to its food source and only travels something like 150-400m).

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Can we please, please stop with the Zika talk now. Disney is all about limiting liability. Zika, Smika, Wika, Mika, call it whatever you want..... Gators, Snakes, Mosquitoes, loons, .....Disney is doing everything it can that would lead to a legal defense ..... that they have done everything "reasonably" possible to (key word...."reasonably") prevent a psychotic lone wolf attack, deter rogue mosquitoes, make it impossible for anything other than a high jumping gator or other unforeseen event that would lead to a threat on its guests.

You can't fix stupid though. I'm sure that some guest will refuse the bottle of bug spray and then later say in the court filing..."Well Disney didn't train us on how to use the bottle."

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
When did they start the fill in project? Could this be part of an over arching liability assessment done after the gator incident. You know disney lawyers looking at everything and pointing out the things thathat have been overlooked for a long time?

Thats my initial thought, yes. They really need to remove everything thats left.

21stamps

Can we please, please stop with the Zika talk now. Disney is all about limiting liability. Zika, Smika, Wika, Mika, call it whatever you want..... Gators, Snakes, Mosquitoes, loons, .....Disney is doing everything it can that would lead to a legal defense ..... that they have done everything "reasonably" possible to (key word...."reasonably") prevent a psychotic lone wolf attack, deter rogue mosquitoes, make it impossible for anything other than a high jumping gator or other unforeseen event that would lead to a threat on its guests.

You can't fix stupid though. I'm sure that some guest will refuse the bottle of bug spray and then later say in the court filing..."Well Disney didn't train us on how to use the bottle."

Stupid people don't bother me. Protecting stupid people from themselves bothers me. Because we are paying for their stupidity.

Regardless of if it's a fence, rock barriers, new restraints on rides, new rules or regulations-- all money spent to protect a company against a stupid person. That may be to protect their liability, or it may be to protect people from stealing/cheating and so on. We all pay for it.

I'm willing to bet the majority of these same stupid people are the ones who are complaining the loudest when prices go up.

21stamps

No. No rapids at WL...Just taking your queue of what part of RC you would like to see and where.
Ok I'm on the same page now.lol

That would be perfect for WL. I think Disney had the right idea with that park, I understand why it closed though... But there is no reason they can't have smaller scaled stuff at WL and FW. I do truly think it's because of liability and the whole "stupid people" thing. Sadly, zip lines, rope swings, tire swings, and the like are something we will never see in any capacity again..at WDW anyway. The Rapids seem doable though!

dgp602

Where in nh? I want to come see a part of history that I have actually stood on in my childhood. No guarantees, I just might leave with it in my car! All kidding aside, how did you get that?
I bought it on Ebay, literally 10-12 yrs ago! We have about 12 floats in our pool and the kids ALWAYS gravitate to that! They climb and stand on it. Best piece of Disney history I ever bought!

AEfx

I'm pretty sure it was an answer to a question a journalist asked, Disney didn't just lead with "no it's not about Zika". That really wouldn't make any sense to lie about anyway, as they aren't pretending to give away bug spray just for craps and giggles, they aren't avoiding the topic whatsoever, so I just can't see them doing so here.

Not your post in particular, but reading the last few pages - I know we are a bunch of jaded Disney park fans, but seriously guys - why all the conspiracy theories about this? It's a derelict water park that has been literally left to rot for way too many years already. This is long overdue. Whatever reason they are doing it, it's a good thing. It wasn't difficult for people who really wanted to get in there to get there, no matter how inconvenient it may be (see YouTube videos, again) so what better way to take care of it than just begin cleaning it up.

Not to mention, in many places it is in fact not legal to have abandoned swimming pools because of various hazards. It's just not a good idea. Let's save the suspicion and snark and disgruntled groans for something that really matters - because I challenge anyone to come up with a real, valid reason why they shouldn't do this or what benefit is being lost by not having it being left as-is.

Goofyernmost

I'm pretty sure it was an answer to a question a journalist asked, Disney didn't just lead with "no it's not about Zika". That really wouldn't make any sense to lie about anyway, as they aren't pretending to give away bug spray just for craps and giggles, they aren't avoiding the topic whatsoever, so I just can't see them doing so here.

Not your post in particular, but reading the last few pages - I know we are a bunch of jaded Disney park fans, but seriously guys - why all the conspiracy theories about this? It's a derelict water park that has been literally left to rot for way too many years already. This is long overdue. Whatever reason they are doing it, it's a good thing. It wasn't difficult for people who really wanted to get in there to get there, no matter how inconvenient it may be (see YouTube videos, again) so what better way to take care of it than just begin cleaning it up.

Not to mention, in many places it is in fact not legal to have abandoned swimming pools because of various hazards. It's just not a good idea. Let's save the suspicion and snark and disgruntled groans for something that really matters - because I challenge anyone to come up with a real, valid reason why they shouldn't do this or what benefit is being lost by not having it being left as-is.
I think that is what we are saying. It's just the there is a positive reason to want filling this in to have a health care reason instead of just a "it's about time" reason. When I said it is about Zika I mean that it is about the fear of Zika not the eradication of it. It just subliminally sends a message out that Disney cares about our health without blowing their own horn. They still, however, get the message across without the bragging. Whatever, their reason... it's a good thing that they are finally doing it. Why it took their high priced Lawyers so long to become aware of the potential risk is anybodies guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom