Send the country bears packing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua&CalebDad

I think its finally time to hibernate the bears that have been putting guest to sleep for the last few decades. They are racist looking, creepy, stereotyped rednecks and not sure how they are still in business. I'm sure some of you like them, but thats more nostalgia than entertainment. Why not bring in a woody's roundup kind of show and give some love to jessie, and bullseye. I find that the western portion of the park is lacking and that would give it an a-list show. You could even get some use out of stinky pete..there is nowhere in any of the parks that i seen a show with woody or buzz unless im missing something.

As a transplanted southerner, originally from NY and in the south for over 20 years, I can tell you that southerners don't mind being rednecks and would be proud to tell you they are rednecks.

And to set the record stratight the CBJ show tends to emulate "Hillbillies," which are quite different from rednecks. And no, this is not a "You say 'to-may-to', I say 'to-mah-to' discussion. There is a huge difference betweenrednecks and hillbillies but that is a different discussion for a different time. Most southerners, including my southern bride from TN, love the stereotypicalness of the CBJ and laugh at it every time.

I myself love the south, the heritage, the music, on a daily basis say "God Bless the South," and therefore enjoy the show. However, I am glad to see that it will be receiving some TLC in the very near future.

Leave Walt's classic show alone. If you don't like you don't have to go int it. There are plenty of other attractions around that you can enjoy. And just because there isn't an attraction that revolves around current popular characters, such as Woody, Jessie and Bullseye, it doesn't mean that we have to do away with a classic.

Sorry, I will get off of the soap box now. :D

kucarachi

Original Poster
Ok so only some of the bears look racist...but since only a small percentage of people listen to "that" kind of country it needs removed and reworked. If you are going to keep a ride that puts half the people to sleep (their own words not just mine) then why not work it into a comedy show..and please dont tell me that it passes as comedy in its current state. Pixar is not some company from china that is taking over disney...it is disney so i don't see the willingness to keep them out of your parks. If disney wouldn't have bought them...i cringe to think what crap movies would be out there. Remember chicken little, home on range, dinosaur...all ok at best with zero to no merchandising to this day. And if you say tangled...remember that a lot of the people from pixar produced and were part of that and it was the most expensive disney movie of all time if i read it right...

The tiki room is the prime example of what would happen if everything went back to walt's plan. Now it is a place for a lot of people to take a nap...which is fine but i'd rather have something entertaining with the option to take a nap than something so boring that it puts you to sleep and you know it going in. Walt was a genius and a visionary, but 50 years of technology have passed since then and if he were alive today he'd have used every new trick in the book making it cutting edge.

And i am not against racist looking bears on the whole..or people from the south. Mater is one of my favorite disney characters of all time! I wish they would make a comedy show with the bears using the voices of the blue collar comedy team! instead of jug box willie and wash board buford singing about bleeding from their butt? on the saddle? why else would their be blood on the saddle? i dont need to hear about horse hemroids at disney world!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And i am not against racist looking bears on the whole..or people from the south. Mater is one of my favorite disney characters of all time! I wish they would make a comedy show with the bears using the voices of the blue collar comedy team! instead of jug box willie and wash board buford singing about bleeding from their butt? on the saddle? why else would their be blood on the saddle? i dont need to hear about horse hemroids at disney world!

I'm curious, do you even know the origins of that song? Or it's lyrics? Or are you just trying to ignite some glorious debate over a attraction that you personally don't like (but will still not be departing any time soon)?

kucarachi

Original Poster
I'm curious, do you even know the origins of that song? Or it's lyrics? Or are you just trying to ignite some glorious debate over a attraction that you personally don't like (but will still not be departing any time soon)?

it was written by some broadway farmer? i dont know the origin of the song...but its not really a song it just sounds like a CSI crime scene being sung by a drunken grizzly bear..is there some other story behind those lyrics im not aware of?

Ok found the origin of the song..its about a cowboy falling off his horse and getting bashed in the head to death with his blood dripping into a giant pool underneath the horse....classic family attraction eh? i think it was at least funny when i thought they had hemroids from riding the horse so much! now its really a dark attraction

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
it was written by some broadway farmer? i dont know the origin of the song...but its not really a song it just sounds like a CSI crime scene being sung by a drunken grizzly bear..is there some other story behind those lyrics im not aware of?

I'm not sure Tex Ritter would be considered a Broadway farmer, but magnificent guess all the same. This thread won't last much longer.....

kucarachi

Original Poster
As a transplanted southerner, originally from NY and in the south for over 20 years, I can tell you that southerners don't mind being rednecks and would be proud to tell you they are rednecks.

And to set the record stratight the CBJ show tends to emulate "Hillbillies," which are quite different from rednecks. And no, this is not a "You say 'to-may-to', I say 'to-mah-to' discussion. There is a huge difference betweenrednecks and hillbillies but that is a different discussion for a different time. Most southerners, including my southern bride from TN, love the stereotypicalness of the CBJ and laugh at it every time.

I myself love the south, the heritage, the music, on a daily basis say "God Bless the South," and therefore enjoy the show. However, I am glad to see that it will be receiving some TLC in the very near future.

Leave Walt's classic show alone. If you don't like you don't have to go int it. There are plenty of other attractions around that you can enjoy. And just because there isn't an attraction that revolves around current popular characters, such as Woody, Jessie and Bullseye, it doesn't mean that we have to do away with a classic.

Sorry, I will get off of the soap box now. :D

its not that i want to see it go just because i dont like it...i personally don't think it's a jamboree...at least get some current country stars to liven it up. how about Paisley, Chesney, Jackson, Mcgraw voices on those bears singing classic southern songs..that don't involve horse's commiting homicide

kucarachi

Original Poster
I'm not sure Tex Ritter would be considered a Broadway farmer, but magnificent guess all the same. This thread won't last much longer.....

Ok so it was written by Jack Tripper's (3's Company) dad...i didn't know that and that actually is interesting. There are a lot of classic southern songs out there...kids asking why there is blood everywhere after robotic bears sing about it isnt the best tribute to that. I always wondered why dolly partons or johnny cash were never asked to lend a voice to the show back in the day..that would have made it something. Anyway its just my opinion...and they say opinions are like Kiss albums...everybody has one most of them stink

kucarachi

Original Poster
If they get rid of the Country Bears where would parents take their kids to cooldown and take a mini power-nap?

i don't think you should waste the electricity on the attraction if its just a group slumber party! i agree thats the only reason i ever go to that is when my feet can't take anymore..you cant even nap though because its not comfortable seating.

Joshua&CalebDad

its not that i want to see it go just because i dont like it...i personally don't think it's a jamboree...at least get some current country stars to liven it up. how about Paisley, Chesney, Jackson, Mcgraw voices on those bears singing classic southern songs..that don't involve horse's commiting homicide

I think your missing the point behind the show. The fact that bears are singing songs about

1. A horse committing suicide,
2. Not whipping Buford and instead shooting him, and
3. My woman ain't pretty, but she don't swear none,

is part of the humor. As far as having some new stars singing the songs...let me ask you this, did you like it when they changed the narration and the voice actors in SSE. Most people didn't and that's exactly what you are asking to be done with the CBJ show.

ExtinctJenn

Ignoring the whole "racist" comment (and agreeing with the majority of the previous comments on the topic)...

I am not a HUGE fan of the Country Bears but I do make it a point to catch it once every few trips because it's one of the few remaining classics and one of the very few remaining attractions at WDW that Walt had input on. I was much more likely to see it before DS6 was born but since he has a really hard time being still for that long, we've only hit it once since he was born, maybe twice.

Now that said, while the refurb is definitely not a rumor, there is a rumor that the refurb will not only clean it up but shorten it a bit (kind of like how they brought back the original Tiki Room but in shorter form). For reasons like my own situation, I'm hoping this is true. I think because the world "went and got itself in a hurry" Disney is slowly changing things up to accomodate today's kids and families. It's not good or bad, it's just different.

I'd much rather see a classic attraction like the Country Bears stick around and just be shortened a bit than be demolished and replaced with something much shorter and less general appeal (I'll site the original Imagination vs. the new as an example of what not to do LOL).

kucarachi

Original Poster
I think I saw a racist ghost in Haunted Mansion.

They should close it and build a 3D Nemo spinner with LCD screens
The thing is, there are also people for whom the Tower of Terror is not their cup of tea. One of the best things about Disney World is that it has something for everyone, from small children to great-grandparents. For those who want non-stop excitement, you've got it. For those who want to see only the latest characters, you can find them, too. And for those of us who enjoy entertainment at a slower pace, in a style which actually hearkens back to a bygone time and place (which is, after all, what Frontierland is all about), for those of us who have an attention span longer than 5 minutes and who don't require pyrotechnics or laser light shows or interactive touchscreens in order to enjoy good music, we have things like the Country Bears.

Switching up the Country Bears for something newer, flashier and more watered-down in terms of a Frontier-era connection (an animated toy in a cowboy hat = American frontier, apparently?) would be a shame. It would homogenize the park's attractions instead of preserving their diversity, and throw away something perfectly good just for the sake of change.

so...you'd rather have Food rocks than soarin? rather have who wants to be a milllonaire than toy story mania? now if they could simply just add attractions that would be the best scenario..but other than fantasyland it seems they just recycle stuff. I don't see why they had to shut down snow white just to put in a meet and greet when they had all that space over in the new area.

Oddysey

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

My thoughts exactly. There is no other reason for such an imflammitory and ignorant post.

kucarachi

Original Poster
I think your missing the point behind the show. The fact that bears are singing songs about

is part of the humor. As far as having some new stars singing the songs...let me ask you this, did you like it when they changed the narration and the voice actors in SSE. Most people didn't and that's exactly what you are asking to be done with the CBJ show.

well i agree space ship earth used to be moving..now it just makes me want to move on to the next attraction and i simply ride it just to get it over with. But i personally think they should stop using british people just because they sound smarter. SSE is a plastic surgery that went horribly wrong! But the tiki room version with Iago was way more entertaining than the stuff thats going on in that room now...Star Tours seems to be more popular now...the sea's with nemo and friends is more fun than the old days of just looking at fish like any other aquarium. But your right about SSE it was fine the way it was and the descent was magical in its own way now it's just sad...although my son laughs at the video of himself at the end of the ride everytime

kucarachi

Original Poster

for the record the horse commited murder not suicide

Weather_Lady

In response to post #33: Um, no. We'd rather have Country Bears, which is the subject of the discussion, stay rather than be replaced. Nobody ever said that no other attraction should ever change, be updated or replaced -- that's really beyond the scope of this thread.

kucarachi

Original Poster
Everyone, including the OP, is entitled to an opinion, as am I. It is my opinion that CBJ fits well with the theme of FrontierLand, although I do see it as a hokey, silly, but somewhat fun attraction. Nostalgia has little to do with enjoying this show. It's more about letting go of one's desire for technological excitement, and also letting go of the need to make certain that there is no source of potential offense in every little corner of the world. At some point, being less of a stiff can make living this life more of a joy.

And who said anything about technology being the answer. I was thinking live actors playing the parts in the woody's roundup show not robots. There is no interactiveness...its like reading the same book over and over with no chance of a different experience...so i don't see how it makes you a stiff to not want to relive the same thing exactly every time. They tried making a movie out of that show and it had little or no appeal with current technology as well...but then again so did the haunted mansion movie and the ride continues to evolve every few years with something new...as did POTC...all for the better. i know its a losing battle but i would guess that if they had an actual ranking system for every ride/show in disney world...hands down this would be in the bottom 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom