Send the country bears packing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Just because something is old doesn't make it a classic...i have a pair of socks with 3 holes in them from 98...It does fit the western theme so i get it, but how about having some smarter yogi bear schooled bears in the show.
Because Yogi is NOT a Disney character.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Just because something is old doesn't make it a classic...i have a pair of socks with 3 holes in them from 98...It does fit the western theme so i get it, but how about having some smarter yogi bear schooled bears in the show.

It does to others, a fact that I'm sure you were aware of when you started this thread throwing words like "racist" around. Just as I'm sure you're aware attractions such as CoP and the Tiki Room are held in similar regard. Not that it matters much to someone trolling for an argument.

kucarachi

Original Poster
Anyone wanting to start a discussion about racism and rednecks is trolling. And you continue to do so.

The racist looking bears and extreme rednecking that they portray has the least to do of the shows problems...if it were entertaining on today's disney standards i would join the band and play washboard myself. Its just not that good a show, most people agree, the ones that don't love it and thats cool its comprimise. If you think i have any power over what goes on at disney world than i would find a better project to work on...such as adult strollers

minninedaisy74

Perhaps we should replace the bears with the Honey Boo Boo family.

No seriously the CBJ is a great nostalgic show and it is great the way it is. I am still trying to wrap my head around how the bears are racist though. Care to explain???/

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The racist looking bears and extreme rednecking that they portray has the least to do of the shows problems...if it were entertaining on today's disney standards i would join the band and play washboard myself. Its just not that good a show, most people agree, the ones that don't love it and thats cool its comprimise. If you think i have any power over what goes on at disney world than i would find a better project to work on...such as adult strollers
I think this thread has proved otherwise.

kucarachi

Original Poster
Perhaps we should replace the bears with the Honey Boo Boo family.

No seriously the CBJ is a great nostalgic show and it is great the way it is. I am still trying to wrap my head around how the bears are racist though. Care to explain???/

I feel like John Lennon when he said the beatles were bigger than Jesus. You are all taking it wrong..i said the bears were racist looking..meaning the way they were made makes southerners look stupid and or drunk. I never said the bears were out shaving their heads and performing hate crimes. I guess a better word to describe them in retrospect would be stupid looking. They sound dumb, have horrible teeth or are buck toothed, and i think there is moon shine on the stage

kucarachi

Original Poster
And for the record, the bears were never supposed to be at disney world or land anyway...they were meant for a ski resort that disney was working on.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I feel like John Lennon when he said the beatles were bigger than Jesus. You are all taking it wrong..i said the bears were racist looking..meaning the way they were made makes southerners look stupid and or drunk. I never said the bears were out shaving their heads and performing hate crimes. I guess a better word to describe them in retrospect would be stupid looking. They sound dumb, have horrible teeth or are buck toothed, and i think there is moon shine on the stage

Yup, still trolling....

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And for the record, the bears were never supposed to be at disney world or land anyway...they were meant for a ski resort that disney was working on.

And for the record, that still doesn't have anything to do with your calling them racist....

luv

EDIT --
racistbears.jpg

???????????????????????????
This pic should be on every page. :)

kucarachi

Original Poster
And for the record, that still doesn't have anything to do with your calling them racist....

show me where i said the bears where racist..and not where i said racist looking...and you are totally missing the direction of the racist looking comment. It wasnt that the bears were racist, its that whoever made the bears is racist against southerners. Not sure how much more misconstrued it's getting in here. And if you say you didn't think thats what i meant in the first place thats fine but im telling you now, i didnt mean the bears were racist..they look like someone racist against the south made them...and walt had nothing to do with the show other than liking the way the characters looked

FrankLapidus

How does a bear look racist? :confused: The bears were created by Marc Davis, one of the Nine Old Men and a man responsible for some of the most iconic characters in Disney animation and some of the best-loved attractions Disney have ever created so they were not intended to look racist in any way.

pluto1976

Oh jeez, how could you and pluto1976 not get that joke??? You really shouldn't be calling anyone stupid.

I, Pluto, never called anyone stupid. For another thing with the mentality of people today unless you know them you really don't know if they are joking or not. For the record country is country and blues is not country. As I said before why do people have to bring race into everything. It is a cute show and myself and family have always enjoyed it.

kucarachi

Original Poster
How does a bear look racist? :confused: The bears were created by Marc Davis, one of the Nine Old Men and a man responsible for some of the most iconic characters in Disney animation and some of the best-loved attractions Disney have ever created so they were not intended to look racist in any way.

well i remember the pirates of the Caribbean being toned down a few years back because they were trying to catch the town's women and most likely do what pirates do...would you like to bring back that too cause pirates generally don't chase women for snacks...as they do now.

minninedaisy74

My thoughts on the matter are different. I think Walt would be turning over in the grave (or his freezer) if he knew that attractions had run for 40 years without fundamental changes and upgrades. The Tiki Room Under New Management was certainly better than the old Tiki Room but they didn't go far enough in changing it. Now it's back to its old boring self. CoP is terrible and it's nothing but an old commercial for GE electric products.
You want to preserve and protect these attractions. That's fine with me! Put them in an historical park. CoP, Tiki Room and CBJ appeal to a small core of preservationist fans. Most guests are bored to death by these old shows.

I think the best way to save them is to update the shows from top to bottom and make them entertaining to most of the audience, not just historic preservationists. The plain fact of the matter is that if they don't change, they will be removed. CoP is going to be the first one to go and it will be a toss up between the other two as to when they get closed.
I am pretty sure he not turning flipping, or doing handstands in his grave.

alissafalco

I, Pluto, never called anyone stupid. For another thing with the mentality of people today unless you know them you really don't know if they are joking or not. For the record country is country and blues is not country. As I said before why do people have to bring race into everything. It is a cute show and myself and family have always enjoyed it.

First of all, I never said you did call anyone stupid. If you look back at my original post I quoted Joey NOT you!! I still stand by what I said and don't know how you and Joey couldn't get that joke. You don't have to know Bob Saget personally to know that he was joking jeez...

FrankLapidus

well i remember the pirates of the Caribbean being toned down a few years back because they were trying to catch the town's women and most likely do what pirates do...would you like to bring back that too cause pirates generally don't chase women for snacks...as they do now.

Honestly, I would have no problem with it. There's nothing graphic or gratuitous in those things, they're a part of the rides' humour and they've existed for decades without any kind of controversy. You might not like it but that's a matter of personal taste and I really don't see anything racist in the design of the Country Bears. It's this kind of mentality that led to Disney replacing Alien Encounter with Stitch's Great Escape and you would be hard-pressed to find too many people who view that particular change positively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom