Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

Cesar R M

Worse case scenario, chance in a million, is that the pole could get jammed between a wheel and the track. This would more likely cause the car to slow or stop, which could still be dangerous, and would be at least a huge inconvenience to hundreds of guests. Witness what a bag did to DCAs Screamin' a few years back.

As big a worry is a flying stick either hitting show scenery, or worse, a rider seated behind. Even at 20mph getting a stick and cellphone - or either item - in the face doesn't bear thinking about.

I'll also add that the reports actually mentioned by the media are just the tip of the iceberg.

There's been many complaints about Universals zero tolerance policy on carry on items on their faster attractions. I'd hate to see this the norm on more attractions but sadly guests more and more need protecting from theirselves.
well, unlike WDW.. there are tons of storage lockers in every major area/attraction.

Mouse_Trap

It really takes a lot of effort and planning to fix stupid. The information overload around the parking and resorts is massive. No one other than guests who do not read or understand English or common international signage should arrive at at parks not knowing about the stick ban. That being said, see first sentence.

They need to get rid of the verbal diarrhoea that are the current 'safety' spiels and replace them with simple signage....like airports use.
They are designed to be understood no matter what language a person speaks.

AEfx

Here's an interesting article about the increasing usage of selfie sticks, worldwide. Link below from yesterday's, 6/28/15, Boston Sunday Globe (Travel Section) , by Globe staff writer, Christopher Muther. He also references the ban on them at WDW, toward the end of his article.

Thanks for posting that!

I'm actually surprised that he didn't mention what seemed to have brought them media attention in the first place - the use of them to take pictures of people in bathrooms and/or "under skirt" pictures of females. That was the first time a lot of folks even heard about the "invention" when people started getting caught using them for such things and the media started covering it.

EpcoTim

image.jpg

Cesar R M

Thanks for posting that!

I'm actually surprised that he didn't mention what seemed to have brought them media attention in the first place - the use of them to take pictures of people in bathrooms and/or "under skirt" pictures of females. That was the first time a lot of folks even heard about the "invention" when people started getting caught using them for such things and the media started covering it.
That is pretty prevalent in Japan if I remember correctly.
Theres even a derogatory term for these creepy males.
They favour a lot the anime conventions (where they supposedly pay the cosplayers to let them creepily take semi adult photos).

yikes!

aka_emilicious

Actually, there is a very real, if uncommon, danger to a penny on a railroad track. Rather than flattening the coin, the wheel may instead squeeze the penny, sending it flying out as a projectile not unlike like a bullet.

Stupid kids at the park I worked at did this on one of the roller coasters. It never caused derailment of course, but I think it did damage the track and wheels slightly each time and needed to be replaced earlier than scheduled.

NowInc

• Tripods that can be folded and stored in a reasonable size bag are allowed. Large tripods are not.
  • Extendable camera monopods are allowed.
  • GoPro brand name body and head harnesses are allowed.
  • Short, brand name GoPro handles are allowed.
  • Brand name or similar style GRIP & SHOOT handles are also allowed.
  • GoPro 3-way or similar style extending handles are now allowed.
  • Selfie sticks of any kind are not allowed.

Cmdr_Crimson

• Tripods that can be folded and stored in a reasonable size bag are allowed. Large tripods are not.
  • Extendable camera monopods are allowed.
  • GoPro brand name body and head harnesses are allowed.
  • Short, brand name GoPro handles are allowed.
  • Brand name or similar style GRIP & SHOOT handles are also allowed.
  • GoPro 3-way or similar style extending handles are now allowed.
  • Selfie sticks of any kind are not allowed.

I'm glad I'm mini tripod user..But, it doesn't seem to mention of using them on rides..Is that okay? I don't extend it as it's mostly for steady cam footage..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom