Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
To be completely honest, I've always enjoyed my camera rig/set up on vacation and would find a selfie stick very limiting. People have complained about my rig swooping down and stealing their lunch, but what are you gonna do?

eagle-camera.jpg

Otterhead

I saw them constantly in every park on my trip last month, and often on rides. From Small World to Big Thunder, there was almost always someone with a GoPro or iPhone on a selfie stick.

CaptainAmerica

This is why I have the Note 4 with its dedicated "Wide Angle Selfie" mode.

No, that's not why I have the Note 4. But this technology is being built into devices so once Apple figures out what Samsung has already designed (we'll be conservative and give them three years to catch up), the iPhone 9 will be able to do this by itself without the ridiculous stick. It's a brand new "device" and its already on the path to obsolescence.

kgaf99

My first time seeing a selfie stick at Disney just made me wonder if it is the ultimate in narcissism. I saw a guy walking around with one in World Showcase just talking about what he was seeing. WHY??? Just turn the &*^ camera around and show what you are seeing!

thats what i would be saying if i was his friend back home trying to see the heck he was freaking talking about. TURN IT AROUND FOOL!!! lol

kgaf99

I saw them constantly in every park on my trip last month, and often on rides. From Small World to Big Thunder, there was almost always someone with a GoPro or iPhone on a selfie stick.

its just out of control. whats wrong with just using your flippin phone to take pics without the stick? why does it have to be a gopro? why? bc people wanna look cool. keep the gopro and your stupid stick to your rock climbing or surfing. lol

Otterhead

This is why I have the Note 4 with its dedicated "Wide Angle Selfie" mode.

No, that's not why I have the Note 4. But this technology is being built into devices so once Apple figures out what Samsung has already designed (we'll be conservative and give them three years to catch up), the iPhone 9 will be able to do this by itself without the ridiculous stick. It's a brand new "device" and its already on the path to obsolescence.

There's plenty of wide angle options on iPhones. The selfie sticks I saw were being used to give people a several-foot-high view above crowds or to extend a foot or so above rides, and often held GoPros or Androids.

draybook

I don't see the problem with the GoPro when using the body straps. It's an easy way to record your trip while keeping your hands free and it's not cumbersome NOR does it intrude on other during rides/attractions. The same thing can't be said for the Stupid Stick™.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I don't see the problem with the GoPro when using the body straps. It's an easy way to record your trip while keeping your hands free and it's not cumbersome NOR does it intrude on other during rides/attractions. The same thing can't be said for the Stupid Stick™.

I agree if the GoPro is attached with on of their harnesses but the latest phenomena I see in the parks is the 'GoPro on a stick'. They have these 'handles' that are up to 18" long and people are sticking their arms out the side and top of ride vehicles with the GoPro to get a video of the ride and it's hitting the sides of the attraction.

The clearances where made for arms, not arms extended with a pole and a camera. It will not be long before someone is holding one in the air on BTMRR and looses their grip or it hits the attraction structure and it flies back and hits someone behind them injuring that other party. I've talked to CM's on attractions like 7DMT who have said that it's happened already there.

While the Wand of Narcissus model with mobile phones is annoying around the park, the GoPro on a Stick is going to cause injuries and force Disney's hand to stop stupid/selfish guest behaviour.

FettFan

Cannot lie...I'd go with a Garmin Virb Elite, just so I could wear the shoulder harness and make Predator jokes all day.
garmin-shoudler-action-mount.jpg

GIT TO DAH CAHSTLE! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FAHR! DO IT NAO!

Arthur Wellesley

Also, nothing is worse than some bonehead holding an iPad over his head with the cover hanging down to record Wishes. If only I had a small rock.....
Carry a small water pistol. When an inconsiderate person elects to do such boneheaded behavior, simply squirt him/her in the back of the head, neck, or iPad with your water pistol. Such methods have been successful in training household cats.

Victor Kelly

yes, and they sell them there, and walmart, and target and well everywhere. It is annoying, and they click a pick but never look at it. Dipwads. I walked into a couple of them too, so they are annoying.

Diznyfan

I've seen them start to infiltrate the parks, they're really obnoxious. I can see myself getting bopped in the head by one of them. They should consider banning them from the parks as a matter of guest safety.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom