second thoughts about Jan trip

BUZZCRUSH

As I read about more and more things not being open (thunder mountain rr comes to mind), the shortened hours and iffy weather I'm having second thoughts about our jan trip. Right now we have 8 days booked, first 4 at sog and second half at beach club. I'm thinking of changing to a cruise instead. Idea being we have never done a cruise and it will be warmer. Our boys are 10 and 4 and we have been to Disney twice before. My husband is not that excited about a cruise (having worked on ships during his time as a Marine) - but he's willing cause it's Disney.

Any thoughts?:veryconfu

njBadLands

I think traveling in the winter it is always a roll of the dice. My wife and I went in 2010 for her birthday in March and it was VERY cold at night (2nd week of March) and high 60s during the day.

Conversely, we went in January 2011 (2nd week as well) and it was quite pleasant. Typically around 65-70 during the day, never dropping below 55-60 during park hours at night. In the morning when we got up we needed a hoody, but then by late morning was fine without it. I think it just depends on the year.

We are going this year during the 3rd week of February and share the same concerns you do, but know it will be a great time regardless, so we are gambling again (a hefty discount doesnt hurt either).

One thing I can tell you is there is virtually no crowds in January, it was great. Most we'd wait for the mountains was 30 minutes w/o fast pass, most other attractions (pirates, haunted mansion) were 10 minute waits tops.

I say go the the World.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

We used to go in January and we never will again most likely. From closures (Splash Mountain is usually annually rehabed for January and February in addition to other closures of course) to unpredictable weather(flying from CT in the ice and snow and Jan 2010 was 30 degrees almost every day in Disney when we visited), it's just too risky but that's just us.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

I cant wait for the kids to be gone (off to college) so DH and I can take a trip just the 2 of us....it will be in January or February. The way to look at the closers is all the reason to plan another trip once this on is over..and as far as the weather....you never know what you will get any time of year....for us the cooler weather is weclome compared to August. I stay stick with the plan and enjoy your trip!!

Upvote 0

SMS55

Conversely, we went in January 2011 (2nd week as well) and it was quite pleasant. Typically around 65-70 during the day, never dropping below 55-60 during park hours at night. In the morning when we got up we needed a hoody, but then by late morning was fine without it. I think it just depends on the year.

One thing I can tell you is there is virtually no crowds in January, it was great.

I agree with you, January is a great time to go because it's the value season. I've done trips in January and February before and I will continue to do them. Unfortunately they do close some stuff for refurbishment because of it.

The weather is not too bad, but you do get cold snaps where it can be quite chilly. I'm from Miami where our average low in the dead of winter is 60 degrees. I've gotten a couple of cold snaps up there, but I've survived. If you can survive the first hour or two in the morning, the mid days aren't bad at all with a jacket. You might want to call it a day a little early though because it will get chilly rather quickly once the sun goes down.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

We have gone to the parks in Jan quite a few times and the weather can be really nice too.
I went on a Disney cruise in Jan and I'd rather have been at the parks- we didn't make it to Castaway Cay until late in the day due to weather being too windy and when we got there is was still too windy and cold to enjoy it.
The shortened hours for the parks mean that crowds will be less and you can do more in less time.
I say stick with your plans.

Upvote 0

BUZZCRUSH

Original Poster
Thanks all for the advice, I think we're sticking with our plans and just plan to be flexible - the discounts are too good to pass on :p

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

The shortened hours for the parks mean that crowds will be less and you can do more in less time.
I say stick with your plans.

This. The hours are shorter because you can get the same amount done during that time. They aren't penalizing you for going then, just adjusting based on crowds. You can easily get just as much done. It may be cold, but its usually dry. So think of it that way, you are trading off the torrential afternoon showers for a warmer coat.

Upvote 0

Blueskyze

I'm going in January (7-15), and although I do have some concerns about the weather, I'm also excited about the things we'll have time to do in the evenings, since the parks won't be open. We have tickets to see La Nouba one night, and several ADRs for restaurants we've never been to. I figured that with the parks closing early, it would force me to slow down and spend my evenings relaxing and enjoying new things!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Cold, even frigid weather is very doable in the parks. Simply bundle up a little more, but even mildly cold weather can really hamper a cruise. I took a cruise on the Dream last January and while we still had a great time, the nip in the air really put a damper on snorkeling, the pool and the AquaDuck.

Upvote 0

71dsp

We've gone in late January for the past two years and the weather has been fine. We had one night of really bad rain this year, but other than that, the weather was pleasant, albeit a little chilly in the morning.

The shortened hours never bothered us. We seemed to be pretty tuckered out by the end of the day anyway!

We're going again next year in January, and my wife is rather disappointed that Fantasmic will be closed. I just saw the deal on Big Thunder. Not too happy about that... :( My kiddo loves that ride.

Upvote 0

Larry Mondello

We used to go in January and we never will again most likely. From closures (Splash Mountain is usually annually rehabed for January and February in addition to other closures of course) to unpredictable weather(flying from CT in the ice and snow and Jan 2010 was 30 degrees almost every day in Disney when we visited), it's just too risky but that's just us.

Traveling from Bradley in October is now iffy.

Upvote 0
I go almost every late January into early Feb. Three years ago it was cold when we arrived , upper 40s but gradually warmed up into the high 70s by the end of the week. It is full on winter where I live so Florida sunshine and 50 degrees is okay by me. Usually, it is gorgeous and light jacket weather...perfect in my book. Glad you are sticking to your plan. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

93boomer

Premium Member
We also went down the second week of Jan 2011. We had more problems getting out of the driveway with snow and ice than we had in FL. But after we got down in SC it was smooth sailing. The weather was sunny and nice--lots better than back home! The nights called for jackets but that was ok with us. The crowds weren't bad--nothing like summer crowds. So, I would definitely go. It is cheaper, small crowds, and it's a gamble about the weather but it will be lots better than your weather at home and after all you're at Disney!!:)

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

Had an ice storm back in Chicago a couple years in a row in winter. Got to stay an extra day in WDW! And due to the storms, Southwest airlines just rebooked us before the flights were canceled, the day before, since they knew the storm was coming.

Gloves, scarves...go!

Upvote 0

PHSCoach

Will be going down January 8th. It's a gamble with the weather but it won't be as bad there as it is in NY. Looking to get on the golf corse at least three days.

Upvote 0

DisneyNme

We are going in Jan for our honeymoon, Its not so much the weather there being cold, we can deal with that being from New England. Its the weather leaving (Snow/Ice) here, if we have to cut our trip down from delayed/canceled flights, i wont be a happy camper. Heck, if a storm comes here while we are down there...wooo whoooo! Extra days in WDW! :D

Upvote 0

DisneyNme

As I read about more and more things not being open (thunder mountain rr comes to mind), the shortened hours and iffy weather I'm having second thoughts about our jan trip. Right now we have 8 days booked, first 4 at sog and second half at beach club. I'm thinking of changing to a cruise instead. Idea being we have never done a cruise and it will be warmer. Our boys are 10 and 4 and we have been to Disney twice before. My husband is not that excited about a cruise (having worked on ships during his time as a Marine) - but he's willing cause it's Disney.

Any thoughts?:veryconfu

Oh yea.... No cruise, I SAY GO TO WDW!!!:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

SMS55

It is not so bad even if a few rides are closed. I went one time when Pirates was closed. That's my favorite ride. Sure I was a little upset but there are so many great rides I was fine. Don't worry too much about the shortened hours. That's because it's a slower time. I have seasonal passes so that's pretty much when I go. You should have enough time to do everything. Plan some strategy if you think it will help. We always have ours and we do everything we want to do. The fast passes combined with the extra magic hour will let you make up for anything you might have missed.

The weather will depend on your tolerance, but let me say that weather in Florida is always unpredictable. January is considered the "dead of winter" in Florida which the average low being 48 degrees in Ventral Florida. For someone from Miami that is bitter cold. For someone from up north it might not be too bad. If we get an artic front then it's 30's. The bitter cold usually doesn't last for too long. Usually a few days. If you come in summer, the humidity will be oppresive for someone from outside of Florida and you have the unpredictable thunderstorms that pop out of no where. Weather is something you really are not going to be able to control.

Upvote 0

BUZZCRUSH

Original Poster
Thanks all I think we're definitely sticking to plan. I was getting a little panicky, my 2 sisters are going and my nephews family so I was worried they'd be disappointed. But no matter what the weather it will be way better than in Cincinnati, Ohio! And I like the idea of having evenings free to not be parking (no pressure to stay up til 3am :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom