Screw-ups during live shows?

boo52

themack618 said:
Im a CM on Main St. and I witnessed a performance of Wishes where for a whole 2 minutes, none of the fireworks exploded. There was music playing, but no fireworks. This happened in between the Blue Fairy segment and the grand finale. This was in December 2004 at one of the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parties.
This was not a screw up, this was done for safety reasons. The wind causes us to cut stuff. A strong North wind in the winter and you can guarentee stuff will be cut.

GoofyMagic

During the Jungle book show (It's been a while since and I don't have the video off hand) I believe somewhat in the middle when the elephants were with their backs toward the audience, one of the props didn't move off stage right away so they were stalled for a good minute or longer then finally the music began and it went on.

That's all i can think of at the moment!

Chape19714

Not really a screw-up, but the 1st time I saw Festival of the Lion King, all of the costumes were not in yet. The Tumble Monkeys just looked like regular people! Fantasmic is a very complex show, and you can normally count 1-2 things that go wrong if you pay close attention. I was there once and a rocket went off just as Malificent was transforming into the Dragon. The entire crowd was distracted, and after it was out of sight, everyone seemed to turn to eachother and say "What's happening in the show?" it was pretty funny.

Lokheed

Once last year at Tarzan Rocks, at the very opening where the monkeys come down from the ceiling one of the monkeys could not release his harness. He spent a solid minute trying to get it to come loose, and finally they had to stop the show, bring out a ladder, and send someone up to help him. It took about five minutes to reset the show, and when it restarted the same monkey had a flawless release. He got a solid round of applause from the audience, and he took a little bow before running offstage. :D

Bluewaves

Lets see here first and only time I saw light motors and very little action, they broke the clutch on a motorcycle and it wouldn't start and then they crashed a car. Oh what fun.

imagineer boy

When the Lion King Broadway show premiered at the local theater, Simba nearly killed himself. In the "I can't wait to be King" musical segment Simba and Nala come out riding tall puppet Ostriches, from a rising curtain. But the curtain didn't raise in time, so it hit the feathers of the Ostrich, which pulvarized Simba in the face, and he fell off! Those Ostrich puppets are pretty tall and off the ground too. So Simba limped throught he rest of the number until the wierd crazy colored curtain came down. The poor actor who played Zazu had to put on a small comical routine comenting that the crazy looking stage curtain looked like a shower curtain from K-Mart. :lol: Finally, he ran off the stage and comicly hit is head against the side of the stage and finally running off. The show paused for a long time before they could get another actor to play simba all ready.

There's a TOD video at DisneyDreams.net where you can see a Disc man puppet with its head drooped over as if it had a broken neck and runs off stage.

joanna71985

I have several that come to mind right away!

1) In the C'SC show at MK, Jafar had days when his hat refused to open, or opened too early! There was a period of several days, in fact, when the part for Jafar's hat changed in the show. Instead of his hat opening, Genie changed his voice instead!:lol: It was great! Poor Jafar and his bad-hat days.

2) In Cinderellabration there was a HUGE mic fiasco! The Duke was on stage saying a line when all of a sudden the mic switched from his voice to someone else's (I think it was either a recording or "another" duke's voice. lol!)! It was bad! Then on another day, something happened with the Duke and Fairy Godmother. She must have come out late or something because she started her lines late (the part where Fairy Godmother comes out to Cinderella and gives the Duke the scroll). Well, the music had come on and the music for Snow White started before the Duke had introduced them!:eek: He had to improvise and Snow White and her Prince couldn't come out at all. So when Prince Phillip and Princess Aurora came out they almost crashed into the Duke! It was bad- really, really bad!

3) In DCT, Walt lost his mustashe (SP??) on the Bridge between Liberty Square and the Castle hub. The 2 people pushing his float and Walt were trying really hard not to laugh, and me and my friend were just howling on the bridge. In the same parade Chip grew a ponytail all of a sudden (if you know what I mean:animwink: ). Meeko and Chip were flying over to the attendent, with Meeko pulling Chip along. It was soo funny.

4) This isn't really a malfunction, but in Cinderellabration Fairy Godmother lost her drawers!:eek:

Gartdog

Once, during the climactic finale of Indiana Jones Stunt Show, Indy had trouble openning the airplane hatch to save Marion. The fire on the ground reached the gas tanker and should have exploded, but they had to hold the explosion. Eventually he got the hatch open, they ran off and eventually the explosion came.

robynchic

Joanna, you must have been there this summer, in late July. I was working that day when all that happened. My friend (whom was in the parade) came running to me while I was sitting around and told me...he felt really bad...

robynchic

Here's something that's NEVER a screw-up:

If you ever see Lights, Motors, Action! and the waterski doesn't go, it's because the water has gunk in it (algae or something) that would damage the waterski. I'm acquaintences with one of the stuntmen, and he explained that to me.

elpirataman

Once in Fantasmic.... Well alot of times in Fantasmic, you'll see either John Smith not make the jump and nearly miss the scene with Pocahontas trying to run around to the top the back way, or when the Dragon can't go back in. I had three new experiences latley!

1) When finishing with the snake scene while Chernabog was conjuring the dead, the lights of the Snakes eyes lit up as it was going back up the ramp into storage. They lit up almost all of backstage where you saw Maleficent hugging Mickey???

2) One of the boats in the jungle scene known as the bird float (rafiki now) had a problem and could not come out. Now most ppl wouldn't notice there was a difference in the show, but since there is a barrior between the lake backstage, this affected the route of Ariel! So there was Ariel singing, but no Ariel!
P.S. If you look closely enough when the monkey's are done with their routine, they have to take off their masks before they continue the show (bring binochulars to see their REAL faces)

3) Finally, When the Lake was supposed to catch on fire...... It didn't so Mickey was just playing with water lol!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
MommytoMJM said:
We've seen Tarzan Rocks so many times that we can tell you when someone misteps or they change a dance sequence....LOL The latest is that the airelists trapeze broke so they haven't been in the show for two weeks now :( We're hoping it will be back up Sunday....
I was wondering where they were.

joanna71985

robynchic said:
Joanna, you must have been there this summer, in late July. I was working that day when all that happened. My friend (whom was in the parade) came running to me while I was sitting around and told me...he felt really bad...

Yes Robyn I was there this summer. If your friend was Walt, I'm sorry that he felt bad. But those things happen so you just have to laugh about them. As for Chip, she obviously didn't tuck her hair up right and so it came undone and came out.

Since1976

In 2002, during a performance of the Indy Stunt Show, an overzealous mom who had been chosen as an extra stepped forward to try and beat up the Ukrainian "stunt extra." One of the fake production assistants had to run over and stop her.

I'm sure the performers hate any type of improvisation from the audience extras. For one thing, there's the possibility of the extra getting injured. And also, it really throws off the rhythm of their perfectly choreographed show.

DisneySam

marni1971 said:
I`ve posted elsewhere about Fantasmic!s dragon being stuck hakf in half out and not performing. It was just keft there for all to see when the lights came up and Malifecent did the alternate villan ending (very quickly - if the dragon wasn`t visible you wouldn`t have thought any differentQUOTE]

That happened the first time I saw Fantasmic! I really have not seen that many live show mistakes....that is the only one I can think of...and it was all done very well I would have never known any different.

xfkirsten

Hmmm... I've seen many over the years. Some of the bigger ones:

-In WDW's Fantasmic, I'd camped out for 3 hours to get the front, center bench (the little short one). As the monkey barges came through, one of them drifted over... and smashed into the railing right in front of me! The monkeys were all thrown to the ground. To their credit, they all did the rest of the number form their knees. Then, in the same show, the Little Mermaid and Snow White barges were headed straight for each other. They narrowly missed, but in the course of swerving away, the Snow White barge got stuck on equipment near the stage. It was well into the Wicked Queen segment before they got offstage.

-At one of the 2002 Very Merry Christmas parties, I was working glow (carts with light up toys) in the Hub. When they went to start the fireworks, nothing happened. So they tried again, and this time two shells went off... then, nothing. It took them until about midnight to get the show going for real.

-In a showing of Celebrate the Season that same year, one of the toy soldiers turned walked face-first into the backdrop (between the stair cases) as they left at the end of the show. I even got that one on video. :lol:

-At one of the Aladdin showings at DCA, just before the One Jump Ahead segment started, the audio system went kaput. They brought the house lights back up, and had us wait. Well, the guy next to me (who had been very, very talkative all before the show) jumps up and yells "Let's do the wave!" So him, his girlfriend, and I got the whole Hyperion doing the wave while we waited. The show finally started back up, and at the part were Genie throws all the one-liners at Jafar, he paused, then asked, "Wanna do the wave?" :lol:

-In another Aladdin showing, Aladdin's wig started coming off in the middle of Friend Like Me, and he had to dance while holding it in place for the rest of the number.

-Yet another Aladdin one: while climbing up to get the lamp, I saw one Aladdin that slipped and got a face full of the stage!

-In DL's Fantasmic, during the Peter Pan segment, something went wrong with the Columbia, and a boat came rushing out after it. They grabbed onto the back of the ship and were messing with something, and went around with it all the way.

-I didn't see this one, but I definitely heard it across the park (and a performer who's a friend of mine explained it the next day): The pyro that sits out in front of the island in DL's Fantasmic all went off at once at the beginning of a show last month. The result was a huge boom, which I heard very clearly all the way from it's a small world! :eek:

pluto77

When I was a CP my friend told me this happened when she watched the show (so if you know it's not true don't shoot me). I guess the giraffe float came out with a SpongeBob party hat on because they were having a birthday party for someone backstage and they forgot to take it off.

helliker

robynchic said:
Here's something that's NEVER a screw-up:

If you ever see Lights, Motors, Action! and the waterski doesn't go, it's because the water has gunk in it (algae or something) that would damage the waterski. I'm acquaintences with one of the stuntmen, and he explained that to me.
I knew there was supposed to be water there! The first and only time I have seen the show the tank in the front was empty. This was about 3 weeks ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom