Sci-Fi Dine in or 50's Prime Time?

petersenjp

If you do choose Sci fi, make sure to look at the dinner vs lunch menu. We always enjoy lunch there, but the dinner menu isn't our favorite.

drossjr

We have been to both in our past 3 trips. We have been to both the 50's all three times and the Sci Fi once. We are planning to go to both this year when we bring the kids. The kids seemed to enjoy the Sci Fi but we enjoy bringing the kids to the 50's. Thats always an adventure with these two.

The food is better at the 50's and Loukili is the best. The food I think is better at the 50's but I enjoy both restaurants for their atmosphere in their own respective ways.

The Tune-In Lounge is an interesting place to wait for your reservations at 50 especially when the unique cast members make their way thru the crowd and sit at the bar such as the DPW workers who like to pay for Shirley Temple's with the change they fished out of the fountains and ponds

gspin2k1

I haven't eaten at either but I actually had to make a similar choice between those two...actually three (I included Hollywood Brown Derby)...I chose 50's Prime Time because 1) the environment seemed like it'd be more fun than the other two (I'm eating fancy schmancy meals the previous 2-3 nights so by that time I may just want a simple dinner rather than Brown Derby).

2) I'll admit the food at Brown Derby seemed cool, most of Sci Fi Diner's food appears to be sandwiches and burgers which to me is what I prefer to eat for lunch. But the biggest seller was Fried Chicken..I love me some fried chicken and people on websites like Yelp were raving about it...so that pretty much sealed the deal for me. Oh and they mentioned something about good milkshakes too.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I love Sci Fi myself, but like Star Wars and The Matrix Sci Fi not old school black/white monster movies (kind of before my time, but if it's your thing you may enjoy it more).

~G

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
50's has better food and a 9.5 atmosphere. Sci Fi has OK food with a 10 atmosphere...

I would go with 50's cause I love the chicken, greens, and mashed patatos!!! Oh and watching old school Dennis the Menace is pretty awesome too!

mousebymarriage

O.k. I have eaten at both and I really like both but, if I had to choose just 1 I think it would have to be 50's Prime time cafe. The sci-fi is a cute idea, sitting in the cars and watching the movie clips, just that old time drive-in experience but, at the Prime Time I love the weird waiters and the 50's sitcom atmosphere.

ewensell3

Which has better food? which one is more enjoyable? i know they are about the same in price but if you could only go to one which one is better?

Food is about even.

If I could only choose one, it would depend on my mood.

If I wanted to be left alone to eat my meal in peace, it would be Sci-Fi.

If I wanted an interactive meal where the servers provided a bit of entertainment and you participate (and don't mind being embarrassed in front of a bunch of people), it would be 50's Prime Time.

Does anyone have a list of the characters at Primetime? We had "Aunt Memory" who likes to bring up embarrassing "memories" of things you did as a kid.

MouseMadness

Sci-Fi :lol: We reaaaaallly didn't like 50's Prime Time... my husband, not being the biggest Disney fan for starters :lookaroun, wasn't appreciative of some stranger calling him "Skippy" and to stop leaning on his elbows on the table, and when one of my kids accidentally got crayon on the table and she (jokingly) chided her about it, she started to cry. :eek: So yeah... but if all that is cool with you, the food was better. :lol: However, the food at Sci-Fi is exactly what I want for a lunch, and lunch is all we do there, plus as it's been stated several times, the atmosphere is just SO fun there! So that's our family's choice.

look1angel

I like both mainly for it's atmosphere. Sci-Fi had some really cool alcohol drinks :slurp: & 50's was neat to hear the servers interact with us & eachother. Food wise? I'd have to say 50's for me. I usually only get fries & a shake at SciFi. Ya just never know

DisneyMusician2

IMHO:
Atmosphere- Sci-Fi
Food- 50's Prime Time

This is the truth. Sci Fi is fun, but go for dessert one night. You'll still get the entertainment without paying hefty prices for glorified diner food. I had a great time, but it's not an experience I would pay a full dinner for or burn a Dining Plan Credit on.

If you are looking for a sit-down meal, go with 50's Prime Time. Someone may tell you to finish your green beans, but if you have some fun with it, you'll really enjoy the experience.

gspin2k1

This is the truth. Sci Fi is fun, but go for dessert one night. You'll still get the entertainment without paying hefty prices for glorified diner food. I had a great time, but it's not an experience I would pay a full dinner for or burn a Dining Plan Credit on.

If you are looking for a sit-down meal, go with 50's Prime Time. Someone may tell you to finish your green beans, but if you have some fun with it, you'll really enjoy the experience.

Lol I like vegetables...well not really but I have no problem eating it first so i can save the good stuff for last lol..

~G

lebeau

Food is way better at 50s. Both have a neat atmosphere. If you roll with the silliness at 50s, I think it's more fun than Sci Fi. But it's worth having dessert at Sci Fi once just to enjoy the cool atmosphere.

If I had to choose, I would choose 50s. We visit it every trip.

Mickey-Mommy

I'd go to 50's Prime Time. While I like Sci-Fi, I don't like many things on the menu. I like the setting as a drive-in theater, but not a fan of horror/sci-fi movies....I know if you don't like Sci-Fi, then why go?! Haha! But I still like sitting in a car and the rest of the atmosphere. There is so much more I like at 50's so that would be my pick. I also like the homey feeling after being away from home for such a long time, but don't like being shamed for not eating my veggies! Haha!

Boray

We went to 50s Prime Time this past Halloween. We had a BLAST! My parents were with us and loved the old shows that they watched while they were growing up. "Mom" was Mary Ann from New Jersey (I think) and was FANTASTIC! She and my dad played it all to the hilt and we had all the other tables in the room laughing along with us. I guess it all depends on how willing you are to play along, and how good your "mom" is. I LOVED the pot roast. I don't usually order anything but salads and chicken in restaurants, but my pot roast was melt-in-your mouth delicious! My dad had the same and loved it, mom had the vegitarian dish - green bell pepper stuffed with ratatoullie and said it was the best meal she'd had all week. My kids (9 and 6) had a blast and still talk about it. My husband had the fried chicken and loved it. We had a great experience and wonderful food. Maybe everyone was just "on their game" that evening, but dinner at 50s Prime Time was a highlight of our trip.

I haven't eaten at Sci Fi. I'd love to see the atmosphere, but I've not heard good things about the food, so I haven't tried it yet. Good luck and let us know what you decide! :wave:

devoy1701

50s is also glorified Diner food.

Been to 50s Twice and Sci Fi 3 times now. Will be back at Sci Fi soon. Overall it's just more peacefull and relaxed. We did enjoy our meal at 50s (went in a group of 4) and got a kick out of our server. But it just wasn't what we were looking for after walking around the parks all day!

IMO, atmosphere and food is much better at Sci Fi. I love the steak and my gf loves the shrimp pasta dish.Dinner is in low light and the audio from the movie reel and the sheer size of the soundstage drowns out the sounds of the other diners. IMO its a has a great "private" dining feel to it...even though there are 4 other people sitting the the car with you!

Just something about Sci Fi that makes it my favorite restaurant.

lilfritzy

I love Sci-fi I really like the food and they have awsome milkshakes:slurp:.
We went this past september it was the first trip for my fiance and he is a die hard sci-fi movie and drive-in fan so he thought the atmosphere was great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom