S'borin

CThaddeus

Count me amongst the nonplussed. I visit California Adventure all the time, but I just don't feel an urge to go on Soarin'. Ever. I'm more a fan of the Patrick Warburton preshow video and the beautfiul soundtrack than the actual 4-minute IMAX film with barely moving seats. I just can't see waiting 20 minutes or more to sit and watch a movie that short and uninteresting. Perhaps if there were more movement, a longer film, and perhaps if you were strapped in kind of like you would for a hang glider, then they might have something. As it is now, I'd rather just listen to the soundtrack in my car and go on it only when someone else wants to.
As for Disney World's version, I was even more underwhelmed with it than DCA's. The queue was beyond dull (at least DCA has photos and descriptions of famous aviators to check out), and instead of making it its own pavilion, they killed Food Rocks. Maybe some weren't as fond of that show as I was, but at least it stayed true to EPCOT's theme - it educated and entertained. Soarin' has no educational value (other than teaching you that California has many diverse areas), and for me, I'm sorry, there just isn't much entertainment value beyond, "Nice work, pal."
It's rare that I tire of a Disney attraction. Soarin', however, lost me after about the third ride. If they change the film, I will try it again, but I doubt it would keep my attention long, either.
On the plus side, the dangling feet don't bug me that much. It's the seeing the edges of the screen that irritate me more.
And a plus for you Soarin' fans - I'll be taking the commonly given advice and not getting in line for it again, thus freeing it up for you to go on it umpteen times. I'll be on Spaceship Earth or Ellen's Energy Adventure, or even Circle of Life.

C&D

Always enjoyable for us. We go early and usually just once or twice per our WDW trip. Alway look for nuaunces (and always seem to find little things we hadn't seen before), and for you hidden Mickey fans, the two I know of are: a hidden mickey on the golf ball (as it flies toward you) and of course the fireworks at the end. If I had to rate it, I'd give it a solid B+

Matpez

Honestly, I think it doesn't "work" for me?

Do you feel like you are flying???
I always see people lifting their feet and oooohhhh and awwww-ing...

I only feel like I am in a theater watching a movie... really...

I don't feel like I am flying in the least...

my brain doesn't fall for the illusion, therefore I think the title of the thread is right on.

I actually enjoy going on this ride to watch other people's reactions, acting like they are going to really hit the trees... I don't understand why they act like that...

and, don't accuse me of "not accepting the magic" or "not being a kid at heart". I love all of WDW and visit monthly now...
just not Soarin'.

newfanatic

Sorry, my family absolutely loved this ride. The closest I will ever come to hang gliding! As for not actually feeling like you are flying, I think just a little bit of imagination gets you there.:p

Vernonpush

I love the ride. I really do.

BUT.

They need a new movie. Like someone else had said, having it Soarin' over CA was a cool idea during the HCOE, but now? I'd much rather see a new movie having to do with The Land. Soarin' over your ninth-grade earth science class comes to mind... volcanoes, glaciers, deserts.... worldwide land masses that differe in sight, smell, and air! The possibilities are practically endless. Rainforests. Savannahs. Orange groves (sorry, I can't get enough of the orange smell!). Cities (like L.A. in the current flim). Crystal clear oceans. Snowy mountains. Volcanoes with lava pouring out. Death Valley. The Everglades. Antarctica.

And then... instead of just having it end over DLR, they could do a quick fly over for DLR, Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong, and finally WDW!! YAY!!!

I agree! I like your "plot" for a new movie, especially the ending.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
We all enjoy it...and I have read many times that it was designed with the idea of multiple movies to be created for it...even that 2 movies in the seperate lines be available. Looking forward to a new movie.:king: and I must admit I intentionally IGNORE those.....edges...of the imagination......

Guess I like all the visuals, gives a bit of a fun perspective. Perhaps those who watch a ton of TV or are big gamers are not thrilled with the experience as they desire MORE of a thrill.....:shrug:

k.hunter30

I thought it was great when I waited in line for 10 minutes and rode it in Cali. But when I went to WDW a few months ago and saw people waiting 90 minutes (during low-/moderate-season!) it definitely wasn't as good....:lookaroun ...:shrug:

It's not one I'd HAVE to go back and ride again on future trips anymore.

jjgoo

I like the ride and think it is fun, but you can count me and my wife in the category of underwhelmed over the ride.

I don't mine the feet but the first time I rode I was on the far left side and it was hard to immerse myself in the ride when I could see the edges of the screen.

My wife has made it very clear that the only way we are going on is if we have fast past or it is first thing in the morning so there is no line. She feels it is worth about a 10-15 minute wait at most.

So we completely understand and empathize with the OP even though we do not completely agree. :wave:

imamouse

If their press is to be believed, Soarin’ has generated the highest overall favorable guest satisfaction rating in the history of TWDC. Of course, it has broader appeal than a true thrill ride, like M:S or EE, so its numbers are understandably ramped up.

I can believe this claim based on my 72-year old mother’s reaction. She has a fear of heights/falling, but she loves Soarin’ and rides it multiple times per visit (both at DCA and WDW).

danyoung

The only thing disappointing about the ride to me is when there are no more fast passes! I love it!

What do you mean by this? Have they discontinued the FastPass on this?

Also, the WDW version of this has had a problem in both theaters in the past. There's a high speed clear plastic film loop that moves through the gate, keeping things clean. When it's in motion, you don't see it. But for some reason last time I was there (last October), it was cycling on and off every 5 or 6 seconds. And when it stopped, you saw MAJOR scratches all over the screen. It really hurt the illusion that you were really hanging over the scenery. I've never seen this happen at DCA (perhaps they don't have this gate cleaning film?).

CThaddeus

What do you mean by this? Have they discontinued the FastPass on this?

Also, the WDW version of this has had a problem in both theaters in the past. There's a high speed clear plastic film loop that moves through the gate, keeping things clean. When it's in motion, you don't see it. But for some reason last time I was there (last October), it was cycling on and off every 5 or 6 seconds. And when it stopped, you saw MAJOR scratches all over the screen. It really hurt the illusion that you were really hanging over the scenery. I've never seen this happen at DCA (perhaps they don't have this gate cleaning film?).

They still offer Fastpass, they just go incredibly fast. That's what Purple413 dislikes.
As for California Adventure's Soarin', it has had its share of problems. For a time, one of the camera lenses had a small smudge or bit of dirt or something on it. This was magnified and continually appeared during various points of the film. It happens.

prspeppers

I think its a great attraction....However (and i'm probally going to get blasted for this) if the movie was one continuous shot, rather than a montage of various ariel footage I think it would lend itself to being more believable and enhance the sensation of a genuine flight. There are thounds of scenic locations that would be mind blowing for a continious movie.

I also believe this by doing this it would promote the marriage of the educational elements showcased in some of Epcots older attractions with the technology and thrill of future worlds newest rides. (Viewing a continious shot would enable the viewer to glimpse a unique perspective of foreign landscape, culture, ect...without interruption.)

pax_65

I like the ride, but I agree it's overrated. The technology isn't advanced or particularly creative. For the most part it's been done before. Basically it's just a movie shot from the air - similar to parts of the films in Canada or France - that give you the feel that you're flying. The chairs are neat, the smells are really cool (I wish they did more smells, mists, sounds etc to make the ride more immersive). Personally I prefer the flying scenes in Mickey's PhilharMagic because of the 3D aspect (stuff flying at you, etc). The ride does have the benefit of being very family-friendly and has a wide appeal to both young and old in the classic Disney tradition. Perhaps this explains the popularity and extremely high ratings. In any event, the longer lines at Soarin' means fewer people in line ahead of me at Test Track, Mission Space and Spaceship Earth, so I'm ok with it. :wave:

Damien666

First off I have to say the name of this thread is actually pretty funny, much better then "Subs Bombed!!!".

Anyways, I really enjoy the attraction. I can see why this is one of the most popular attractions Disney has created. It is a very family friendly attraction, the movements are gentle and it's just plain fun. It's something the young and the old can enjoy, unless your only wanting thrills. Then the attraction simply ain't for you.

Now I do admit it would be nice if they gave Sorin' a new film with all the countries of the world pretty soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom