Say.... What if Avatarland got cancelled?

JustInTime

Because we are either too young, don't have the proper degrees, don't know the right people, lack the ambition, or don't want to constantly come up with ideas that are shot down?

Doesn't really matter, does it? The point is, whatever the reason we are stuck behind the computer, we still are not Imagineers. So why worry about something that professionals are getting paid to do?

PirateFrank

Still beating the dead horse, I see.

Exactly. So why are you worried about it now? Seems like you just want to fire up a stale debate. The pictures above obviously show the feel that Disney wants to capture with Avatarland. Just watch the video of them talking about it. They are passionate about bringing the world of Pandora to life. Not the story of Avatar. They said it themselves. So the pictures above are fairly accurate of the feeling they'd like to capture.

Passionate? Did you happen to notice just how passionate Iger was, when asked a question about the status of this thing? If my next big project in WDW was this, I'd not wait until being badgered during a Q/A on it. I would have made it a central portion of my discussion/presentation. Something's very much wrong in Avatarland.

Also, again, you know *nothing* about what this will be. There hasn't been one bit of artwork presented. So, NO, the pictures above are to fairly accurate to anything. Infact, it's just more fanboi guesswork on your part.

With all seriousness, The plans for this (in reverse order of likelihood) are either under serious lock and key, being reworked (heavily), or the project is a stone's throw from being sandbagged. Dead Horse yes....you're just confused about who's doing the beating.

JustInTime

Passionate? Did you happen to notice just how passionate Iger was, when asked a question about the status of this thing? If my next big project in WDW was this, I'd not wait until being badgered during a Q/A on it. I would have made it a central portion of my discussion/presentation. Something's very much wrong in Avatarland.

Also, again, you know *nothing* about what this will be. There hasn't been one bit of artwork presented. So, NO, the pictures above are to fairly accurate to anything. Infact, it's just more fanboi guesswork on your part.

With all seriousness, The plans for this (in reverse order of likelihood) are either under serious lock and key, being reworked (heavily), or the project is a stone's throw from being sandbagged. Dead Horse yes....you're just confused about who's doing the beating.

Iger didn't sound passionate about much of anything. You are the one who came in here asking how Avatar would fit into Animal Kingdom...6 months later. The discussion has already been made, so it's you who is beatign the dead horse.

And we actually do know that that Avatarland would be based on Pandora and it's animals. Not the actual plot of the film. We were told directly from the source. So i'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5YlcDnAxNM

:wave:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
So I sent in that absentee ballot for nothing? :shrug:

Dang it all
I'm pretty sure my absentee ballot had no "yay or nay" on Avatar... :lol:
OK, you can't just pop in here, dump that on the table and walk out.

*what* did he say??
Well, actually, I can and did... :shrug:

But he said, when asked, that design work was just beginninng and it would open in 2015. Which is what was originally announced IIRC.
That's not how business works at that level.

And you quick Canadian, you beat me to this morning's meeting as that was the only thing I wanted to address on this never-ending discussion.

But Iger ONLY addressed Avatar when questioned by a fanboi ... only. He did an entire presentation highlighting P&R and their future and he talked about everything from Shanghai and HKDL to DCL expansion to DCA's makeover to our modest little Fantasyland beautification project. Nothing about Avatar ... not ONE piece of artwork that hides most details to whet appetites. He ONLY left out the largest capital investment coming to the flagship resort ... the one announced at $500 million ... the one for DAK ... the one with tall blue aliens that are slaughtered by people who look a whole lot like the very military families he covets as guests (he did mention the military prominently and then took questions on veterans deals).

In other words, he responded to what some Spirits in the fan community (and behind his own doors in Glendale and Burbank) are saying about the troubled project by saying almost nothing other than basically status quo or what Jim Hill got from his source in PR.

It means nothing ... no, actually, it means less than nothing.

Very telling when this word has been going around for 3-4 months now that he couldn't show off 1-2 renderings and even call them 'possible concepts' for the land ... and he damn well couldn't because the thing is a disaster.

Only surprise from the meeting: no questions about exec compensation and no questions about releasing Song of the South.

~Iger lies~

It may simply be as it appears, they're only just starting to work on design and there isn't anything "new" to add. Not mentioning it at all can be better than saying "Yes, what we said before still stands". :shrug:

And of course I'm quick... We Canadians don't have to filter all information we receive through a conspiracy theory filter, then a cynic filter and follow it with a how-can-I-best-put-a-negative-spin-on-this filter. :lol::lol:

RSoxNo1

Sadly it is kind of too good to be true. The Disney of today is only interested in building meet and greets and princess castles.

Um... Princess Castles have been a major component of every Disney Resort worldwide as well as the companies motion picture logo.

ToTBellHop

Um... Princess Castles have been a major component of every Disney Resort worldwide as well as the companies motion picture logo.
Not to mention, the original sentiment just isn't true. There are lots of major projects currently under way at every Disney-owned resort that do not include meet-and-greets or new castles. If things continue as planned, WDW has about $1 billion in expansions opening in the next 5 years. If things continue as planned...

Spike-in-Berlin

It's the same with "original lands" like Mysterious Island. It was based on a novel over a hundred years old and not exactly what kids were going crazy for, yet it's one of the most popular lands at any Disney theme park. If you build anything original you're starting from scratch. And you are vastly underestimating Disney's ability to market merchandise that'll appeal to people and kids; you're pointing out the worst end of what can be marketed... To prove your point ;)

Bad example. The 2 stories which this land is based on (better the rides) are part of the common memory of the entire western world, part of popular culture. Nearly EVERY ONE knows Jules Vernes and generation after generation his stories are told new again and again.
20.000 LutS and JTTCOTE are not exactly some "hundred years old stories" nobody is interested about anymore. I adored Star Wars and became a huge fan but I also loved the James Mason-movie of JTTCOTE and of course the Disney classic 20.000LutS.

I don't think that Avatar has even remotely the same potential.

Spike-in-Berlin

Personally, I have some serious issues with SW. Take the logical idiocy of a planet destroying space station having to orbit a planet in order to destroy another. :brick: I know, I know. It's a plot device. It's still dumb.

That's a quite common misconception. The Massassi rebel base is not on a planet but on a planet-sized moon of Yavin, Yavin IV. Yavin is a gas giant, far too large to be destroyed by the Death Stars primary weapon, which was build to destroy terrestrial planets like Alderaan. And even if it could to it, the Death Star doesn't fire his primary weapon like the guns on it's surface. The enormous energy required for this planet destroying weapon takes a long time to recharge (in ROTJ only weak shots are needed for the rebel ships), so they only have ONE shot.

misterID

Bad example. The 2 stories which this land is based on (better the rides) are part of the common memory of the entire western world, part of popular culture. Nearly EVERY ONE knows Jules Vernes and generation after generation his stories are told new again and again.
20.000 LutS and JTTCOTE are not exactly some "hundred years old stories" nobody is interested about anymore. I adored Star Wars and became a huge fan but I also loved the James Mason-movie of JTTCOTE and of course the Disney classic 20.000LutS.

I don't think that Avatar has even remotely the same potential.

I would bet you a lot not everyone is aware of Mysterious Island, or what it's about. Especially kids and teenagers.

They know Star Wars, they Avatar. You really think they've all read Jules Verne? Sorry, man. It just doesnt stand up to it. It doesn't mean one is better than the other, but to say 20,000 or JTTCOTE (which was based on the actual book, not any film) is anywhere near as popular or relevant (in modern pop culture) is kind of silly.

It's funny that people are still trying to convince others that the highest grossing movie of all time isn't really popular and no one will remember it.

disney fan 13

I would bet you a lot not everyone is aware of Mysterious Island, or what it's about. Especially kids and teenagers.

They know Star Wars, they Avatar. You really think they've all read Jules Verne? Sorry, man. It just doesnt stand up to it. It doesn't mean one is better than the other, but to say 20,000 or JTTCOTE (which was based on the actual book, not any film) is anywhere near as popular or relevant (in modern pop culture) is kind of silly.

It's funny that people are still trying to convince others that the highest grossing movie of all time isn't really popular and no one will remember it.

Come 2015, nobody will remember it... And I will bet with you on that.

Ignohippo

I'm lost. Avatar? No one will remember Avatar by 2015?

I'm not a bug fan, but it is the highest grossing movie of all time and by that time, marketing will be ramping up for the sequels. By 2015, you won't be able to go anywhere or do anything without being bombarded by press for Avatar.

Now, if there were no sequels, yeah you may be right. I doubt too many people would care at all.

disney fan 13

I'm lost. Avatar? No one will remember Avatar by 2015?

I'm not a bug fan, but it is the highest grossing movie of all time and by that time, marketing will be ramping up for the sequels. By 2015, you won't be able to go anywhere or do anything without being bombarded by press for Avatar.

Now, if there were no sequels, yeah you may be right. I doubt too many people would care at all.

Not what I meant, I meant that if there were no sequels it would fade into history because it was not that entertaining of a movie, But your right when you say that every other commercial will be for Avatar...:cry:

ToTBellHop

This conversation is mind-bogglingly stupid. Of course people will remember Avatar in 3 years. People still remember Cameron's last blockbuster, Titanic. That came out 14 years ago and has a similarly thin story and "just okay" acting.

Top 10 Highest Grossing Films in History (all of which would make, or have made, extremely popular attractions):
1 Avatar $2,782,275,172 2009 [# 1]
2 Titanic $1,843,201,268 1997 [# 2]
3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 $1,328,111,219 2011 [# 3]
4 Transformers: Dark of the Moon $1,123,746,996 2011 [# 4]
5 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,119,929,521 2003 [# 5]
6 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,066,179,725 2006 [# 6]
7 Toy Story 3 $1,063,171,911 2010 [# 7]
8 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $1,043,871,802 2011 [# 8]
9 Alice in Wonderland $1,024,299,904 2010 [# 9]
10 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace $1,019,093,635 1999 [# 10]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom