Say.... What if Avatarland got cancelled?

GLaDOS

Are you talking about the same Jim Hill who posted "sky is falling" type articles about xPass and then (after clearly being scolded) posted an article scolding readers for complaining about xPass?

That guy?

Mr. "The 5th gate is happening"?

I'll believe The Spirit instead.

The guy who said they'll be building a third Soarin' building as well.:lol:

JustInTime

Are you talking about the same Jim Hill who posted "sky is falling" type articles about xPass and then (after clearly being scolded) posted an article scolding readers for complaining about xPass?

That guy?

Mr. "The 5th gate is happening"?

I'll believe The Spirit instead.

To be fair, he has posted plenty of dead-on rumors in the past. But I think the Avatar thing is just simply going to be a waiting game. Just wait and see what happens...

GLaDOS

To be fair, he has posted plenty of dead-on rumors in the past.

I'm not meaning to be snarky here...but he has? For the life of me I can't think of one thing he's ever reported on that's come true.

Al Lutz? Yea, that guy breaks rumors/stories. Jim Hill? I dunno.

lebeau

To be fair, he has posted plenty of dead-on rumors in the past. But I think the Avatar thing is just simply going to be a waiting game. Just wait and see what happens...

I don't question that he's able to get some info. But he's clearly being used. Thus the backflips on xPass. I expect him to tow the "all is well" company line on stuff like Avatar because that's what they are gonna feed him. Until they stop feeding that to him and he flip flops.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I don't question that he's able to get some info. But he's clearly being used. Thus the backflips on xPass. I expect him to tow the "all is well" company line on stuff like Avatar because that's what they are gonna feed him. Until they stop feeding that to him and he flip flops.

It's also curious that he felt the need to address this rumor within an article about "John Carter." It's less curious that his supposed source is a VP of Communications......

lebeau

It's also curious that he felt the need to address this rumor within an article about "John Carter." It's less curious that his supposed source is a VP of Communications......

True. Which, btw, "all is well" with John Carter too. :rolleyes:

JustInTime

I'm not meaning to be snarky here...but he has? For the life of me I can't think of one thing he's ever reported on that's come true.

Al Lutz? Yea, that guy breaks rumors/stories. Jim Hill? I dunno.

Wasn't he the one that confirmed the Small World interactive queue? I am not a fan of Disney Bloggers, I could very well be getting Jim and Al confused. :shrug:

Disday

Some of the same people who support the Avatar land cancellation rumor are the ones that said Disney is selling their parks. - That's not going to happen.:)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
True. Which, btw, "all is well" with John Carter too. :rolleyes:

You know, I'll give that one time. I'm not saying it's going to be a blockbuster or the like, I'm just going to wait and see how it performs over the next month or so. That said, Jim is right in that Disney needs strong overseas sales to help it turn a profit.....

GLaDOS

Wasn't he the one that confirmed the Small World interactive queue? I am not a fan of Disney Bloggers, I could very well be getting Jim and Al confused. :shrug:

He may have gotten that one. I'm not sure.

I just know that "reliable rumor" and "Jim Hill" don't correlate in my mind.

devoy1701

Why would Disney try to curb rumors if they are indeed false? If anything, Disney would ignore the rumors. If in fact Avatar is canceled, Disney planting opposing rumors would hurt them and drag out the issue and could be damaging over the long run.

a couple reasons that I can come up with on the top of my head are:

Disney doesn't like bad publicity, whether through official channels or not, and this particular story shows that the people in charge of this project are clearly inept at getting this done and working well with top dogs in Hollywood. So with such a negative rumor running amock through the fanbase, Disney needs to do something about it.

Disney wants to maintain the image that "all is right in WDW" and that there is a clear plan in action. If they are truly planning to announce another idea for HW this week or soon, how does it look if multiple projects have to get redesigned/put on hold in the past 3 years?

Also, there is a stark difference between "Disney is trying to kill this project" and "This project is dying". I don't think Disney is trying to kill this project at all. But I do think they're trying to stiffarm their way through it and complete the entire thing for as cheap as possible. It seems that Disney and Cameron don't see eye to eye on how it should be done, and I don't believe that Cameron can be stiffarmed into concessions. If these two giant powers don't see eye to eye then the project will indeed die.

Iger wants Pandora done...and when a CEO wants something done (even if everyone else around them tells them it's not a good idea) it will take a long time for the CEO to admit defeat on the project.

Disney will never publically acknowledge that the project is in trouble or dead, and if asked directly they will of course say everything is fine. The would rather people just forget so they can put the idea on a shelf in the archives...that is if anything has been drawn up at this point.

JustInTime

a couple reasons that I can come up with on the top of my head are:

Disney doesn't like bad publicity, whether through official channels or not, and this particular story shows that the people in charge of this project are clearly inept at getting this done and working well with top dogs in Hollywood. So with such a negative rumor running amock through the fanbase, Disney needs to do something about it.

Disney wants to maintain the image that "all is right in WDW" and that there is a clear plan in action. If they are truly planning to announce another idea for HW this week or soon, how does it look if multiple projects have to get redesigned/put on hold in the past 3 years?

Also, there is a stark difference between "Disney is trying to kill this project" and "This project is dying". I don't think Disney is trying to kill this project at all. But I do think they're trying to stiffarm their way through it and complete the entire thing for as cheap as possible. It seems that Disney and Cameron don't see eye to eye on how it should be done, and I don't believe that Cameron can be stiffarmed into concessions. If these two giant powers don't see eye to eye then the project will indeed die.

Iger wants Pandora done...and when a CEO wants something done (even if everyone else around them tells them it's not a good idea) it will take a long time for the CEO to admit defeat on the project.

Disney will never publically acknowledge that the project is in trouble or dead, and if asked directly they will of course say everything is fine. The would rather people just forget so they can put the idea on a shelf in the archives...that is if anything has been drawn up at this point.

When is the date on the supposed Hyperion Warf project announcement?

lebeau

You know, I'll give that one time. I'm not saying it's going to be a blockbuster or the like, I'm just going to wait and see how it performs over the next month or so. That said, Jim is right in that Disney needs strong overseas sales to help it turn a profit.....

Like we said earlier in the thread, Waterworld turned a profit eventually. It's still regarded as a costly flop. There is no way a $250 million dollar movie has a $30 million dollar opening and walks away being seen as anything other than a bomb.

To add insult to injury, it got spanked by The Lorax in its second week. Ouch! Remember when Disney owned that market?

Maybe with oversees, video, cable rights, etc JC will earn its money back. But it will go down in history as a very expensive bomb. I don't see positive word of mouth changing that.

lebeau

Some of the same people who support the Avatar land cancellation rumor are the ones that said Disney is selling their parks. - That's not going to happen.:)

When did anyone say the parks were being sold? I remember some people saying it was looked into. (Which is true.) But no one said it was happening.

JustInTime

When did anyone say the parks were being sold? I remember some people saying it was looked into. (Which is true.) But no one said it was happening.

Several people pretty much said it was a done deal. it's easier to spin it how you want now, but that was a dark time for Disney fans.

devoy1701

When is the date on the supposed Hyperion Warf project announcement?

I don't have a date. Some suspected the Shareholder meeting, but I'm not sure if an anouncement of this sorts is worthy of the Shareholder meeting.

How great does it look for WDW, TDO, and P&R in general that arguable the two biggest projects going on in WDW right now (HW and Pandora) have gone dark with absolutely no news in about 6 months?

Not very.

JustInTime

I don't have a date. Some suspected the Shareholder meeting, but I'm not sure if an anouncement of this sorts is worthy of the Shareholder meeting.

How great does it look for WDW, TDO, and P&R in general that arguable the two biggest projects going on in WDW right now (HW and Pandora) have gone dark with absolutely no news in about 6 months?

Not very.

Great point...

lebeau

Not very.

Yeah, but they do have the Star Wars Duffy bear.

That's gotta make some people around here happy. :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom