Say "NO!" to Pixie Dust pins!

wannab@dis

I'm going to quote Al Lutz from his recent update. I know there are Lutz haters out there who won't take it seriously, but I think he REALLY hit the nail on the head in this quote:

"The Year of a Million Dreams campaign was already on shaky footing because the meat and bones of the concept is so sparse and the product was being rushed so quickly into production in the parks. What the whole campaign boils down to is about a dozen nice trips or prizes awarded to a few lucky winners, and hundreds of thousands of free mouse ears or pin lanyards passed out to the rest of the winners. There's also some much-needed lip service given to the importance of good customer service from the CM's, lots of awfully misguided new logo merchandise for sale on Main Street, and the infamous new nametags that would have gotten a Cast Member in trouble until now. And that's about it for this post-50th campaign.

But now that Rasulo seems willing to chip away at well-established rules that Disneyland has played by for decades, the whole concept seems even less sound to many people in Anaheim. And it all kicks off, looking more and more doomed, on October 2nd."

Whether or not you like Al Lutz, you have to admit that he really makes a good point.
Oh please... what good point? That he thinks it doomed or that he's upset about nametags having hometowns? As usual, he's just looking for something to whine and complain about. Heaven forbid a marketing campaign include a possible reward to the consumers who are enticed by the campaign to spend their money.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Rewarding me - with a pin - for throwing away my trash for doing something I should be doing anyways, is patronizing.

I don't enjoy being patronized like a bunny rabbit.

head mouse

Rewarding me - with a pin - for throwing away my trash for doing something I should be doing anyways, is patronizing.

I don't enjoy being patronized like a bunny rabbit.

But since most of the guest at the parks WON'T throw their trash in the trash can, then to offer something for doing so may help.

Now I think if I were a CM and I saw someone just toss their cup or napkin in the trash I wouldn't think much of it. But if I saw a guest reach down and pick up someone else's trash and throw it away, I would give them a pin.

See, you have to look at it in the right perspective and then it's not patronizing. :animwink:

Punkss

Right, I think some you people who go often are missing the point and putting far too much pressure on one element of a visit.

OK so when me and girlfriend went in 2004 for the first time (and we can't return until 2004, UK is a long way away!), we did the usual thing of trying to tidy up after ourselves, drop litter in bins, hold open doors for people and CMs, tidy our plates up and generally ease the strain on very busy people. Obviously there was not always a CM around but I always do things like that because when I worked in a theme park (and later a restaurant) it was nice of people to help.

So...when we recieved a thank you that makes it feel worthwhile, only for a minute or two but its nice to help. If we recieved a pin for that it would have made my girlfriends day (figure of speech since being at WDW made her year!) and probably the best thanks. I know it would for kids too.

I for one think this is a great idea and I hope it will continue.

As for marketing the year of a million dreams thing, it has made us want to go again sooner than we thought. The chance of winning a prize is great and the pins are a good idea. Its strange some of you guys are so bitterly against some of things happening, but irregular visitors like me would have loved HCoE and the castle etc. Maybe you should take a break from the parks and this website and come back refreshed.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I say...

3 weeks in, give or take a week, you'll all have your pins you either got by throwing away trash or busing a table or purchased on eBay - and you'll realize how silly this all was and then you'll be regretting it when there's no Epcot 25.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
As for marketing the year of a million dreams thing, it has made us want to go again sooner than we thought. The chance of winning a prize is great and the pins are a good idea. Its strange some of you guys are so bitterly against some of things happening, but irregular visitors like me would have loved HCoE and the castle etc. Maybe you should take a break from the parks and this website and come back refreshed.

I think as an infrequent visitor, you're more then willing to give up a more important milestone for an immediate miniscule pander that will directly relate to you and reward yourself. You might not be around for Epcot's 25th, so to you, it's no big deal.

Punkss

I think as an infrequent visitor, you're more then willing to give up a more important milestone for an immediate miniscule pander that will directly relate to you and reward yourself. You might not be around for Epcot's 25th, so to you, it's no big deal.
Don't take me for an idiot.

I made a very expensive trip to WDW in 2004 for my girlfriend and she loved every minute of it, I do not do it based on "miniscule pander", it was based on our joint enjoyment of Disney and Pixar and all the characters associated with those brands and our enjoyment of theme parks in general.

kachow

Regarding the Lutz quote, I just don't understand where he's coming from? He mentions a dozen or so big prizes. That sounds about right to me in any promotion. Most promotions have about that many big prizes. So I guess the complaints are about the daily freebies given away? What's wrong with mouse ears, or pins, or fast passes, or stuff like that? I guess I'm missing what was so much different in other promotions?

I'm going in November and I'm expecting that I won't win any sort of grand prize like a night in the castle. If I get given a pin, and maybe an instant fastpass for a major ride like EE, I would be happy. I'd be happy with nothing, but I'm just saying, the idea that random things are being given out, as little as some may think they are, I think is a cool idea, and that it's being used to promote better community behavior is a plus.

I went to DL during the 50th anniversary, and yes there were special parades and decorations, but that's about it. Not that those weren't nice, but you flat out can't do that every year or it would kill the specialness of those big events. Nevermind that, besides the diehards, the general public would greet a national promotion around the 25th of Epcot as very ho-hum. Most people would be like, "What?!? Why would I want to plan a trip around that. Epcot's boring."

wannab@dis

Regarding the Lutz quote, I just don't understand where he's coming from? He mentions a dozen or so big prizes. That sounds about right to me in any promotion. Most promotions have about that many big prizes. So I guess the complaints are about the daily freebies given away? What's wrong with mouse ears, or pins, or fast passes, or stuff like that? I guess I'm missing what was so much different in other promotions?

I'm going in November and I'm expecting that I won't win any sort of grand prize like a night in the castle. If I get given a pin, and maybe an instant fastpass for a major ride like EE, I would be happy. I'd be happy with nothing, but I'm just saying, the idea that random things are being given out, as little as some may think they are, I think is a cool idea, and that it's being used to promote better community behavior is a plus.

I went to DL during the 50th anniversary, and yes there were special parades and decorations, but that's about it. Not that those weren't nice, but you flat out can't do that every year or it would kill the specialness of those big events. Nevermind that, besides the diehards, the general public would greet a national promotion around the 25th of Epcot as very ho-hum. Most people would be like, "What?!? Why would I want to plan a trip around that. Epcot's boring."
Very good points.

I just don't understand the self-centered viewpoints of the naysayers. It appears to me they feel as if they are entitled to be pandered to or have been harmed personally by this promotion. It's ludicrous.

As to Epcot's 25th... it's a little early to panic and scream (baloons anyone?). If it happens, fine. If not, oh well... does it *really* matter? I'm sure the same people upset over this promotion will also feel short-changed on anything announced for the 25th. :brick:

wannab@dis

:brick:

TINKERLOR

I agree with TINK RULES!!!!! I ablsolutely LOVE Tinkerbell and for me to get a pin with pixie dust and Tink on it would be awesome!!!! I do think EPCOT's Anniv. should not be forgotten, but honestly we have no control over what Disney decides to celebrate. Let's not forget that Tinkerbell has been and will always be such a huge part of Disney AND it's about time she gets some recognition. I would love to see and be able to get a real Tinkerbell character at Disney World (they have one at DisneyLand) and of course her autograph!

Elenadc

This thread is crazy, let me say that right off the bat. I can't believe how big of a deal some people are making about these pins. The pins are going to be just a small part of the celebration, from what I've been hearing Disney has a lot of great stuff planned. Yeah, sure there's the huge prizes, like the Castle stay and such, but they've also got stuff like the Dream Fastpasses, which they're planning to give out to large groups of people at a time. i.e., Dream FASTPASS tickets could be given to every person that exits a randomly selected attraction at a randomly chosen time. They've got special parties planned for people to win admission to, and that will most likely be given to many people. The pins are such a small part of the celebration, and I am looking forward to them. It will give more opportunities for guest-CM, and guest-guest interaction.

uglybug2005

Then focus changed. Critique of the whole system came in, not many people were going to win prizes, CMs complained because they weren't going to be involved. Then they throw in the pins, appeasing the CMs who want to be involved and the guests who wanted to have something they feel they won, and viola - the celebration is extended for 3 more months because of the momentum it gains!

Before, the model and idea was to let YOMD fizzle out just prior to October and then have Epcot's 25th bring in lots of publicity and guests. Now, instead, the momentum of people getting free pins will barrel right through. Unless it fails - which hopefully it will. Where Magic Lives failed, so mercifully this will too.

No, the internet criticism/assumptions that "CMs would complain, not enough prizes, etc." did not lead to changes in the campaign. The time between the teaser announcement and the fully detailed announcements simply allowed time for internet folks to get upset about yet another problem that never existed. Stop reading Al Lutz, and the world will make so much more sense.

This is like seeing a teaser trailer for a movie, then complaining about things you assume will/won't be in the movie, and then when the second trailer comes out and reveals that your complaints were without merit, assuming that your bellyaching was the reason for the "change in direction".

So now you're hoping something will fail, simply because they aren't directing all the company's energy and resources towards your personal concept of how things should be? Step back, get some perspective, cool off.

Typical of the internet, the smallest percieved negative = the end of the world, but no amount of positives will ever count or matter.

Epcot82Guy

Again, I think this is also a celebration that will be the exact opposite in the approach to the HCOE. HCOE started with a huge bang. This one seems to be shaping up much more as a constantly building situation. The prizes start out good, but something more is around the corner. There is far too little announced for the kick-off celebration for DisneyParks umbrella. With that, having a large celebration for Epcot could easily fit into that scheme. I agree that the two are mutually exclusive at this point.

As for the pins, I think they are a great idea. I agree with the point that people doing what they should are not necessarily deserving because there will be many that do it and don't get anything and feel somewhat slighted. Bussing your own table is a bit mundane, but if you pick up someone else's table, absolutely get a pin. I think there is a huge group that would be deserving in this way. Talk to the family next to you in line. Give up your spot on the parade route. Get something off the top shelf for someone shorter than you. These types of behaviors are the EXACT magic Disney is/was/will be (pick your verb) known for. I know the queues are full of trash. If you teach kids that, if they go through Splash's queue and pick up that empty bottle, there may be a Tink Pin (or something else) in store, you not only promote great feelings in those people, but you help maintenance of the park. That way, if people want to be hardcore collectors, they also have to be hardcore "magic"-makers. I hope the presentation pushes it in this direction, because it sounds like it could be a great program.

imagineer boy

I read it... there wasn't any good points and it was baseless.

Please explain what you think is a good point.

Well let's take a look here.

imagineer boy said:
"The Year of a Million Dreams campaign was already on shaky footing because the meat and bones of the concept is so sparse and the product was being rushed so quickly into production in the parks.

This is a good point. The celebration does not have any meat and bones in it what so ever. All it is is just some contests and new pins. They could easily be doing this without all the pizazz of the celebration. When people go to WDW wondering what all of the celebration is about, and they find that its only just a contest and pins, they're going to be dissapointed. The 50th anniversary had meat and bones because they were adding new rides and shows.

imagineer boy said:
What the whole campaign boils down to is about a dozen nice trips or prizes awarded to a few lucky winners, and hundreds of thousands of free mouse ears or pin lanyards passed out to the rest of the winners. There's also some much-needed lip service given to the importance of good customer service from the CM's, lots of awfully misguided new logo merchandise for sale on Main Street, and the infamous new nametags that would have gotten a Cast Member in trouble until now. And that's about it for this post-50th campaign..

This is true because that is all what the celebration really is and that's it. Its just narrowed down to a couple of small unexciting things. ( BTW, the "awfully misguided T-shirts is expanded upon in another part of the article if you were wondering what that was about. )

Let's face it folks, this whole thing is a cheap campaign to hopefully ( but not likely ) play off of the success of the 50 anniversary. Many people I've mentioned to about this who aren't Disney fanatics have also thought that the whole YOAMD sounds lame and uniteresting.

BTW, if you think Lutz is too negative, there is one heading in his article that states "the future is looking so bright, you'll need sun glasses!" So yeah, no more false accusations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom