Say "NO!" to Pixie Dust pins!

raven

Ooooooookay then....

Not trying to take sides but I think what he's is trying to say is that only so much can be learned in books and by a teacher at a school. There are many more things to learn when you are actually involved with something of the same matter.

I got hired for a job over 11 other people because I had more than just an education in that field...I had a few years of job-related experience. There are many things I do at work were never covered in my schooling though. I had to learn it as it came and through constant training. I'm sure this is what he means.

Epcot82Guy

Not trying to take sides but I think what he's is trying to say is that only so much can be learned in books and by a teacher at a school. There are many more things to learn when you are actually involved with something of the same matter.

I got hired for a job over 11 other people because I had more than just an education in that field...I had a few years of job-related experience. There are many things I do at work were never covered in my schooling though. I had to learn it as it came and through constant training. I'm sure this is what he means.

I agree. Life experience is invaluable. However, I also think this has to apply to a lot of corporate America today. Despite our faith in them, Disney is doing a lot of its marketing "by the books." The ways of spreadsheets, surveys, and cheap overlays is very quickly proving an inappropriate way to build loyalty (and this is not an attack on Disney; it's much more corporate culture in general). There is a high risk of classroom-educated people in offices asking loaded questions instead of people that, through life experience and rising from that very target audience, just get it and act on that highly educated gut reaction.

And, I am not taking sides on this one, either. As I've said, I think the pin idea is great as long as it isn't pandering. It really could accomplish a lot. And, I don't think it really reflects on any notion of Epcot's 25th. The two could easily exist together.

Frank Stallone

Also, about the EPCOT after 4 pass.

That pass exists for two reasons:

1. Operating Participants: Many of the restaurants in the World Showcase are participants, which means Disney does not have complete ownership. Many of these participants convinced Disney to adopt the after 4 pass.

2. Amount of restaurants: EPCOT has more restaurants than any other park, by far. EPCOT is the park that locals are likely to go to, just to have dinner, and maybe catch the fireworks. Also, the pass is only allowed for FLORIDA RESIDENTS. Which means it is only for the locals. Doesn't have much appeal to the Australians.

Legacy

I consider that a scam. Promising people something special when all they get is some contest entries and pins. It will send away alot of unsatisfied people. Mark my words, this "celebration" won't bring in NEARLY the amount of crowds that the fiftieth did. There's just no appeal. I will be very surprised if it does.
No, really? :rolleyes:

I really doubt Disney is expecting the crowds they got for the fiftieth, because it's not the fiftieth. The 50th anniversary of Walt Disney's Crown Jewel will not be replicated on a similar scale until the 100th (if it happens, because there are no garuntees in business). To expect the following celebration is asinine and to expect Disney to shell out just as much for a marketing campaign on the scale of what they just ended is selfish.

You may consider it a scam, but I really don't think that the Smiths from Tulsa, who have never been to Disney before are going to feel scamed when someone walks up to their eight-year-old son and places a set of mouse ears on his head just because they want to make him feel special. In fact, THAT will probably make them want to come back because it's a magical moment for them (that would almost never happen outside of this camaign).
Riddle me this...

If Epcot is an unknown park that no one cares about... Why does the update thread on the Nemo ride there have 7600+ views since monday? What about all the threads about the previews? Why is my bandwidth limit hosting those photos almost maxed out?

Why is Epcot the ONLY theme park at WDW to offer its own annual pass? The Epcot after 4pm pass still exists.. it's $130.
Is it an update on Epcot? Or is it an update on a refurb that has been an ongoing process for nearly four years, consist of the return of a decade-gone ride, and is finally in the last stretch to being complete? I didn't see people confusing the facination with Everest as an overwhelming interest in Animal Kingdom. They only wanted to see the new ride.

And the after 4pm pass is because Epcot is the only park that has several resturants that are popular nightime dinner locations. I know I have gone to Epcot on several occasions just for dinner and not to go on any rides.
Well, the Disneyland website I hang out at also cares, and typically they don't care about anything at WDW.

They've also got several locals from Australia - who have noted on several occasions that Epcot is the only other Disney theme park besides DL and the MK to become a global icon.
Like I said with the "interest" in Seas compared to the interest in Epcot. Your Disneyland fans are most likely interested in the the Seas update because they want to possibly get some ideas as to what THEY might be getting with their new Nemo-ride. Don't get interest in a ride confused with interest in a park.

And two questions about the Australian locals... do you know them from Disney websites?

Are they saying the PARK is an icon, or is the geosphere an icon?

kachow

All this talk about marketing the pins.... By this logic, why do people get excited about any contest? Why do people play the lottery? Why, when in reality all they're going to get is maybe $10 if anything?

Are the pins some amazing prize? No. But I really want to know what you expect as the base-level prize in this type of promotion. And/or what you expect in a non-major celebration year. If you've studied marketing so much, you KNOW they couldn't hang an entire year's theme on the Epcot 25th. Now THAT would be lame.

Enderikari

I'm taking marketing class as a matter of fact.

Alright, having taken a few marketing classes myself(but I have A:Entered the Real World, and B: Didn't get, nor want a degree in Marketing, I prefer to have a soul), I will bite, but I have to warn you, I may be a little rusty...

The single most important factor in any marketing effort is to make it appeal to as specific a target audience as possible, in the sizes of people you need to affect. The predispositions of those target audiences are you baseline for the desired goal. Now, obviously, WDW's desired goal is to have more people visit the theme parks, correct? It has been stated here, many times, that an Epcot celebration would appeal to the folks who knew it would be Epcot's 25th, in other words, people who cared enough about WDW to know its history, heritage, facts and figures. The baseline rating of those people is that they are already predisposed towards visting the Disney theme parks (and complaining about it afterwards on internet message boards). Very few companies market towards the people that are already buying their product, its foolish to do so. However, take a look at some of the commercials and advertisements that will be heading your way soon...
Stuff like:
"Disney Parks: Where elephants don't walk on the ground."
Disney Parks: Where once upon a time, happens once upon a day."
Disney Parks: Where teacups aren't sipped, there spinned."
(No those aren't the actual advertisements, but they are in the same spirit, I would get in trouble for having the actual advertisements)
Did you look at the commercial that you can find on Youtube? Where the little boy fishing is suddenly the captain of a pirate ship? Or where the family driving in their car is suddenly rocketing through space? Or the little girl steps through a door, and becomes a princess? Where in any of these advertisements does it state that "Come to Walt Disney World, and we will give you stuff free!"

Disney Parks - Where Dreams Come True, is not about the free stuff that you get, be it pins or a night in Cinderella Castle. If you visit the parks everyday throughout the entire celebration, you may not win a single pin. But you will see a child skipper the Jungle Cruise, or become a temporary resident of the Haunted Mansion, or join Captain Jack Sparrow's crew, or a million other dreams come true by folks who are having the time of their lives, which you should be a part of. Guests who think of Year of a Million Dreams as a chance to see their dreams coming true, as Disney has been doing for many, many years, as opposed to being so materialistic to think that dreams come true with a pin or a set of Mickey Ears, will be uproariously happy when they are chosen to parade down Main Street with the characters, waving and taking pictures to send home.

Those who want, want, want for themselves... and no longer experience happiness thinking about becoming a temporary resident of the Haunted Mansion, or falling with Brer Rabbit to the Briar Patch... Well, hopefully they will find their dreams again. Its called the secondary and tertiary audiences.

If somebody who is sitting on the fence about going to Walt Disney World, and sees the commercial where the little girl goes through the door and comes out a princess, then looks at their little girl astounded by the same TV screen, well, that could inspire them to get more information. If a grandfather sees the part where the boys are fishing, then get whisked away in a pirate ship, well, that could cause him to remember how great Pirates of the Caribbean was 20 years ago, the last time he went... and maybe he should introduce his grandchildren to it. But no where, beyond message board fanatics, and followers of every press release of WDW, are people going to be going to Walt Disney World expecting to receive a pin for being nice people...

That's just the icing on the cake.

meryll83

If somebody who is sitting on the fence about going to Walt Disney World, and sees the commercial where the little girl goes through the door and comes out a princess, then looks at their little girl astounded by the same TV screen, well, that could inspire them to get more information. If a grandfather sees the part where the boys are fishing, then get whisked away in a pirate ship, well, that could cause him to remember how great Pirates of the Caribbean was 20 years ago, the last time he went... and maybe he should introduce his grandchildren to it.

Awww, that was beautifully put :)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Disney put the official rules of the Years of a Million Dreams up.. *sigh*

How many pins will be awarded? 418,000 pins, 250,000 mouse ears, around 500,000 special FASTPASSes. Those don't include the pixie dust pins, those are seperate.

I think the pirates and princess commercials are great, but they don't have anything to do specifically with the new promotion. With the opening of the Bippidy Boppidy Boutique (sp?) you have the chance to become a princess everyday....and you can go on POTC anyday of the week. I think the other promotions mentioned (kid skippering a jungle cruise, parades, haunted mansion, etc) sound wonderful, but I wish they were also a part of everyday life at disney.

When I was younger and they would go to Disney on Tv shows they always got to do such amazing things....as a child I always thought that was what Disney was about. Now that character meet and greets have become so scheduled and organized it even takes away from the spontaneous turning a corner and watching a little girl run towards a princess. I would love to see dreams coming true in Disney everday regardless of the current promotion--and I'm talking the bigger dreams....not just pins, fast passes, and mouse ears.

Enderikari

I think the other promotions mentioned (kid skippering a jungle cruise, parades, haunted mansion, etc) sound wonderful, but I wish they were also a part of everyday life at disney.

And that is what the Year of A Million Dreams is supposed to do... Make that an everyday experience! So I guess Disney can make that the first "wish" or DREAM come true at Disney... Congrats PSU Princess, you have helped to kick off the Year of a Million Dreams!

PSU_Princess said:
I would love to see dreams coming true in Disney everday regardless of the current promotion--and I'm talking the bigger dreams....not just pins, fast passes, and mouse ears.

And pins, fast passes, and mouse ears are not the end all, be all of the celebration, despite what Mousermerf would like you to believe... Its the experience mentioned above that you said YOU would like to see that will mean much more to families than receiving a pin, or mouse ears... Don't get me wrong... I will be hoping to get some Year of a Million Dreams Mouse Ears to add to my collection... but I would much rather ride with Brer Rabbit down Splash Mountain and get the picture.... wouldn't you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom