Say "NO!" to Pixie Dust pins!

imagineer boy

drei said:
Do you realize that the vast majority of people don't care or even know about Epcot's 25th? However, many unassumming guests will be delighted to receive pins.

People will care if it means new rides and interesting things at Epcot. And I can assure you that an average guest will not care about pins.

S.E.A.

are you people actually criticizing a simple little part of an event and comparing it to EPCOT's birthday? besides when has an individual theme park's birthday (other than MK) became a cause for a major celebration in WDW? The parks have to be marketed as a group in WDW that's why none of them receive any special treatment in terms of marketing.

I for one think the Pixie dust pins are a charming little touch. There's no way the new celebration would be as successful as people hoped, especially after "The happiest celebration on earth".

besides, EPCOT is already getting a new Nemo ride and a new Canada film.

I have issues with this other than the EPCOT problem. But don't get me wrong, I hate that EPCOTs not getting the props it deserves. My problem is rooted in my biggest Disney pet peever and her name is Tinkerbelle.

Tinkerbelle doesn't talk in the movie. But okay I can get past that. Tinkerbelle tries to kill Wendy. And yet shes the most popular character for girls. That's right girls! Can't get the boy you swoon over, try to kill her! And my last issue with tink is this. She's from a movie called PETER PAN. But Peter gets NO acknowledgement in the parks. The only merchandise you can find are constumes, but it's possible to drown in Tinkerbell merch.

Why are we constantly bombarded with Tink? I think I'd be able to tolerate her a lot more if she wasn't shoved down my throat. There are so many great characters out there that they can use for promotions and for these pins.

okay rant over. great way to break myself into the forums, but i had to get it off my chest.

JLW11Hi

Why are we constantly bombarded with Tink?

I think the Disneyland TV show in the 50s, that started using tinkerbell as a "mascot" for the Disneyland park, probably escalated her popularity. She can fly and spread pixie dust, a nice effect. Then, of course, they started using an actual Tinkerbell in the park for the grand finale fireworks, which became a staple for the rest of time.

When they started using Tink on the Disneyland tv show, they totally changed her personality from jealous, kinda mean spirited, to a more "welcoming" type, happy, friendly, smiling all the time. Marc Davis, the animator who brought Tink to life in the original Peter Pan, was kind of upset by this, I believe.

uklad79

And my last issue with tink is this. She's from a movie called PETER PAN. But Peter gets NO acknowledgement in the parks. The only merchandise you can find are constumes, but it's possible to drown in Tinkerbell merch.

I take it you have never been to a park called Magic Kingdom it's in Walt Disney World which is in Florida USA. If you had you wouldn't have wrote such crap. Peter Pan has a ride Peter Pan's Flight, he is on the Parade, he is often found out hanging out next to Pirates with Wendy for a meet and great.
What focus does tink get? Wishes and a pin thats going to be given out and some merch because girls like that stuff.

I sugest a visit to WDW before you post more rubbish.:brick:

head mouse

I take it you have never been to a park called Magic Kingdom it's in Walt Disney World which is in Florida USA. If you had you wouldn't have wrote such crap. Peter Pan has a ride Peter Pan's Flight, he is on the Parade, he is often found out hanging out next to Pirates with Wendy for a meet and great.

I have been to WDW over 100 times. I have NEVER seen Peter Pan anywhere in the park. The ride is the only thing I have seen to give tribute to Pan.

What focus does tink get? Wishes and a pin thats going to be given out and some merch because girls like that stuff.

And in 99% of Disney comercials, Disney videos, Disney shows, ect.

magic cait ball is right. you can't throw a rock at any Disney park without hiting something with Tinker Bell on it.

In fact Tink is 2nd only to Mickey.

Take your own advice

Vernonpush

Be careful what you wish for mousermerf. Do you remember what they did to Cinderella Castle for Magic Kingdoms 25th anniversary? The beauty of SSE could be destroyed even more than just the wand.

speck76

See, the thing is that a surprising amount of people go to WDW with a limited time. Some can only go for 3 days ( for financial reasons or because they want to visit other Orlando attractions ) and some tend to skip over Epcot because "its too boring." Well, if they went with a limited schedule and saw that "Epcot is celebrating 25 years of excitement with amazing new rides, shows, parades, and fireworks in our most spectacular celebration ever!" then it would change their minds a bit about which parks to go to. It wouldn't take away from the other parks, but it would make Epcot's attendance peak a bit more.

The thing that made the 50th anniversary so popular was that it brought in the crowds because of great new rides. That's what people really want. People WILL NOT want to go just to get a few cheap pins. If you were the average tourist, which advertisement would interest you more? "Come to WDW for the YOAMD and get free pins and possibly can win a fancy hotel room!" or "Come to WDW and make a special trip to Epcot celebrating 25 years of excitement with all new rides and shows. Don't miss out!" Besides, TDS always celebrates its anniversary of its opening and it always brings in the crowds.

pure opinion...not even based upon any fact.

The FACT that Epcot is #2 in attendance would lead to the FACT that if people are skipping are park due to time constraints, more often then not they are skipping MGM or DAK.....not Epcot (or MK)

Furthermore, dont even try to compare anything at TDS/TDL to that at WDW ever.....they have 2 different customer profiles. The average visitor to TDL/TDS lives in metro Tokyo, a city which has the highest population density on the planet...considering 95% of their guests either drive or take the subway to the park.....the small celebrations and weekend events work so well there.

speck76

Do you realize that the vast majority of people don't care or even know about Epcot's 25th? However, many unassumming guests will be delighted to receive pins.

Disney's marketing isn't meant for people on this site, it's meant for the other 99% of people that go to Disney.

:sohappy: :sohappy:

So 8 trips in 18 years including one in Jul doesn't count. hm. Yes, there is a ride. A 60 second ride. The meet and greet is a picky dsbject for me since the last time I was there I tried to find Peter Pan in the location he was said to be, and constantly only found hook and schmee. And yes he's in the parade, but so is pretty much every other disney character.

But I promise I'm done with this now, I apologize to everyone for the thread drift.

GoofyFan1

I've seen Peter Pan every trip, and I'll take a Tink pin....I'm not proud.:lookaroun As far as the 25th for Epcot, I'm sure they'll do something to celebrate. Relax.

I'm having a little trouble putting this post together....I have a lot of random thoughs based on the many posts I've read here and I'm having trouble putting them together into something that makes sense....so here goes--

I may be wrong but wasn't the castle painted pink like a giant birthday cake for one of MK anniversaries? If so, then everyone who has said that they don't celebrate individual parks is wrong. I definetly don't think that every park needs to have every 5th year celebrated, but I think 25 years is a good point to have a celebration.

I had no idea that Epcots 25th anniversary was this year; however, if marketing campaigns told me it was then I'm sure I would be very aware. I hope that they do acknowledge it is some way.

I don't really see why we need to have a worldwide celebrations. YOMD is not going to do anything to make me visit any of the parks around the world. I enjoy going to WDW and we are considering a trip to DL in the near future, but none of our trips have been planned around certain celebrations. I also can't say that I know anyone who made a big trip just because of a celebration. People who are regular visitors want to see new rides/attractions/shows/parades etc, people who are making the once in a lifetime trip are going to wait for the right time in their life to make the trip, not because the YOMD makes them want to go right now.

We do clean our own tables and hold doors for people but I don't need a pin to keep doing those things. I also think that the idea of a pin is not going to make someone change their habits and be polite if that is not their general way of life.

There is my collection of random thoughts for now...I hope it made some sense :rolleyes:

Connor002

I may be wrong but wasn't the castle painted pink like a giant birthday cake for one of MK anniversaries? If so, then everyone who has said that they don't celebrate individual parks is wrong. I definetly don't think that every park needs to have every 5th year celebrated, but I think 25 years is a good point to have a celebration.
The Magic Kingdom is the Walt Disney World's original park, therefore every anniversary of the Magic Kingdom is congruent with the entire resort's anniversary.

Pongo

Just because we haven't heard much about an extra-special celebration for Epcot's 25th doesn't mean there won't be one. It may be huge, it may not exist at all, but none of us here really have the authority to know either way.

And look at the past. What other Epcot milestones have been celebrated in an over the top way. EC is not MK. They won't always get the same treatment.

For the most part, I think this is a classic case of jumping to conclusions.

The Magic Kingdom is the Walt Disney World's original park, therefore every anniversary of the Magic Kingdom is congruent with the entire resort's anniversary.

But everything in the resort wasn't built at that time so why do they all have to be lumped together. The entire resort area has changed drastically since the opening of the MK...each park should have its own recognition.

This is Epcot's 25th year and that is a pretty important milestone. I don't see why there can't be an Epcot celebration going on at the same time as YOMD...hopefully after Oct 1st something will be announced and everyone can be happy. No matter what happens it won't cause me a great amount of stress but I just think 25 years is an important celebration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom