Say "NO!" to Pixie Dust pins!

head mouse

If the Year of a Million Dreams runs for 15 months (yes, i was shocked myself) and starts October 1st, 2006, then it wont end until January 2008.

That means Epcot's 25th on October 1st, 2007, will be glossed over and they have no current intent of kicking off a new celebration on that date.

But what you dont see is that YMD is for ALL of Disney parks just like HCOE was.

An EPCOT celebration would be focused at EPCOT and could still be done with out being over run by YMD.

I say no worries on EPCOT's 25th. It'll happen with a bang.

Epcot82Guy

Not sure where your comment is going, so I guess I will just explain more? :veryconfu The most successful companies that have developed major brands have realized the need to tweak and do special events in individual locales. There are regional tastes, desires, cultural norms, etc. Therefore, if you utilize those in implementing your brand, it works infinitely better. Even worse, if you do not, you run the risk of oversaturation, backlash, and, most of all, cultural offense. Disney dealt with this in Paris. More related, you see the items places like McDonald's promotes varies from geographic region to geographic region. However, it all relates to some overarching brand statement at the time (i.e. "I'm loving it" or whatever it may be). Disney Parks does not have the luxury of being a globally available product. Therefore, it only makes sense to market them individually in some way, although I will concede that global branding works to an extent. The combination is what breeds truly successful products. Doing that is tough, but that is just basic marketing.

Now, a marketing campaign is different. However, truly global branding doesn't work very well. It's just a fact. What works is when you have a global overlay with smaller, market-oriented reinforcement events/promotions/etc.

This provides Disney with that same opportunity. The bottom line was if the YOMD goes on until the end of 2007, that does not necessarily mean that Epcot's 25th will not be celebrated. Instead, or even on the contrary, it provides Disney an opportunity to promote a WDW-oriented event with marketing in the strongest sources for WDW guests in the 1980's and 1990's to be implemented as a PART of the YOMD. That reinstills new life into a celebration that will start to wane towards its end. It coincides with an already existing Epcot event that could easily be used as the kick off to the sub-celebration. And, it doesn't cost as much to try and force a celebration on other resorts that simply don't have a lot to do with Epcot or WDW as a whole.

imagineer boy

head mouse said:
I say no worries on EPCOT's 25th. It'll happen with a bang.

Don't get your hopes up...

We'd be hearing more about what great stuff would be coming to Epcot right now if they were really doing it.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Not sure where your comment is going, so I guess I will just explain more? :veryconfu The most successful companies that have developed major brands have realized the need to tweak and do special events in individual locales. There are regional tastes, desires, cultural norms, etc. Therefore, if you utilize those in implementing your brand, it works infinitely better. Even worse, if you do not, you run the risk of oversaturation, backlash, and, most of all, cultural offense. Disney dealt with this in Paris. More related, you see the items places like McDonald's promotes varies from geographic region to geographic region. However, it all relates to some overarching brand statement at the time (i.e. "I'm loving it" or whatever it may be). Disney Parks does not have the luxury of being a globally available product. Therefore, it only makes sense to market them individually in some way, although I will concede that global branding works to an extent. The combination is what breeds truly successful products. Doing that is tough, but that is just basic marketing.

Now, a marketing campaign is different. However, truly global branding doesn't work very well. It's just a fact. What works is when you have a global overlay with smaller, market-oriented reinforcement events/promotions/etc.

This provides Disney with that same opportunity. The bottom line was if the YOMD goes on until the end of 2007, that does not necessarily mean that Epcot's 25th will not be celebrated. Instead, or even on the contrary, it provides Disney an opportunity to promote a WDW-oriented event with marketing in the strongest sources for WDW guests in the 1980's and 1990's to be implemented as a PART of the YOMD. That reinstills new life into a celebration that will start to wane towards its end. It coincides with an already existing Epcot event that could easily be used as the kick off to the sub-celebration. And, it doesn't cost as much to try and force a celebration on other resorts that simply don't have a lot to do with Epcot or WDW as a whole.

And at the same time - they're risking making a lot of people very angry if they ignore Epcot's 25th because of this made up global scheme.

Magicot

If the Year of a Million Dreams runs for 15 months (yes, i was shocked myself) and starts October 1st, 2006, then it wont end until January 2008.

That means Epcot's 25th on October 1st, 2007, will be glossed over and they have no current intent of kicking off a new celebration on that date.
Mousermerf, where does it say that it's a 15 month celebration???

And are you assuming that Epcot's 25th will be glossed over?

Epcot82Guy

And at the same time - they're risking making a lot of people very angry if they ignore Epcot's 25th because of this made up global scheme.

Yes. Please don't misunderstand me. I think the idea situation would be a 15 month global celebration (YOMD). Then, from Oct. - Dec. 2007, we get a WDW-focused minicelebration/subcelebration for Epcot. It is more restorative (new films, rehabs, etc.) in nature than adding huge new attractions. It involves a large amount of merchandising, presentations of the past, etc., and it, therefore, doesn't cost as much in the long run. It is billed as a major dream (and, in fact, each resort could do something else along those lines), but just another of the million from the year.

Obviously, I am ALL for a 25th Celebration and think it deserves much more than a pin and some shirts. I think every park deserves a milestone celebration for its 25th, but I do not think they need to necessarily go beyond a "local" marketing scheme (although calling WDW's base local is a bit underplayed).

head mouse

Just wanted to inform you all.

I just got off the phone with Disney and was informed that the details are being kept hush-hush fo rnow, but that there is something planned.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Just wanted to inform you all.

I just got off the phone with Disney and was informed that the details are being kept hush-hush fo rnow, but that there is something planned.

No offense - but who could you have possibly talked to in Disney who would have had such an answer which actually was informed about the situation?

radsfireworks

Fireworks

My name is Robert
I would like to know if anyone knows the people that do the firework shows. If, so please let me know. I would lkie to talk to them.

SGT623

I'm more upset about the entire resort not having anything for the 30th & 35th Anniversarys than Epcot's 25th. But I do agree the new promotion is kinda lame

dopey

Instead of refusing the Tink pins, why not use them to stab the CM who passed them out? Explain that you were expecting a big celebration for Epcot's 25th anniversary instead. That'll teach Disney a lesson!

Nobody is going to turn down anything free at Disney World. :hammer: :lol:

JimboJones123

Uh huh...

PuertoRekinSam

The point of these Pins is to thank the guest for being an awesome guest. It's the whole Pay it forward concept. From what I've been told this is the resort wide "Diamond in the rough pin" that was being done at Animal Kingdom.

The guest who gets the special pins are not the guest who demand special pins.

Horizons1

But what you dont see is that YMD is for ALL of Disney parks just like HCOE was.

Well, funny thing about that is there were plans for ALL of the Disney parks to be involved in the HCOE but it didnt quite pan out. So instead, HCOE was kept stateside, I have a feeling the same thing will happen to YOAMD.

Or are there even plans for the overseas parks, will they once again scream worldwide celebration when they should really be saying stateside celebration? Or have they given up on trying that completely?

head mouse

No offense - but who could you have possibly talked to in Disney who would have had such an answer which actually was informed about the situation?

Disney rep Ms. Dotson. Have spoke with her about many things going on (such as the YMD) I call her and get whatever information she may have. If she does not have the information, she puts me on hold and finds out what she can. She informed me that yesterday afternoon the "big wigs" had just got back from Orlando from a meeting discussing the upcomming YMD. She said they also were discussing the plans for EPCOT's 25th anniversary but she could not give me any details at this time.

head mouse

Well, funny thing about that is there were plans for ALL of the Disney parks to be involved in the HCOE but it didnt quite pan out. So instead, HCOE was kept stateside, I have a feeling the same thing will happen to YOAMD.

Or are there even plans for the overseas parks, will they once again scream worldwide celebration when they should really be saying stateside celebration? Or have they given up on trying that completely?

I am sorry let me re-phrase. I was not thinking about DLP or HK.

When I said ALL parks I was only thinking about WDW and DL.

autumndawn1006

Do all cast members get to give these pins out? Maybe its a small way to include the rest of the CMs if they are not part of the Dreams giveaways.

By the Way, has anyone heard any more about what the other giveaways are yet? (Besides the castle, and the grand marshal, and what not.)

Magic Maker

Who says there won't be anything special for the 25th, are YOU a Disney exec or imagineer?

I think the pins are a nice idea, but it does not mean that are going to ignore Epcot's 25th...

I am sure we are going to at least do something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom