Say "NO!" to Pixie Dust pins!

Dwarful

I was thinking the exact same thing as banimall! What a headache. Also, perhaps I am wrong, does the CM get two, one to give to a guest and one to keep? Or does the CM give two to the guest..one to keep and one to pass on to a guest they see doing something special?

The thing that gets me is none of it is free. they slowly raise prices which means even good discounts still add up to a hefty vacation. I'm in the midst of working w/Pam on a girl scout trip in June of 2007...40 people augh...so these "free" pins aren't really free..and what of the people who already bus their own tables, wipe off tables before dining etc., I can see some stressed out parent snapping because "that ladies kid got one and mine didn't"...if I were the CM's I wouldn't want the headaches associated w/it. just me.

Epcot82Guy

Two things on this:

1. I like the idea of the pins. Having guests rewarded for good behavior and being able to do so is great. However, that means the CMs have to get into it. It also means people cannot hoarde the pins. Those might be problems.

2. I agree that EPCOT needs more (obviously). However, I don't think it is necessarily a global event. If they are doing this global marketing campaign, though, how great a way to do a local event: "One of Walt's greatest dreams was EPCOT. See what it has become and the dreams it has inspired at a brand new dedication upon the 25th anniversary of the Future. Come discover new dreams and inspirations at the new EPCOT." Promote it in America only and through the major WDW markets and tie it in as a part of the celebration." Similar things could be done at the other parks. That way, you have global branding with local changes in implementation. That's how successful marketing works.

SewIn2Disney

Two things on this:

1. I like the idea of the pins. Having guests rewarded for good behavior and being able to do so is great. However, that means the CMs have to get into it. It also means people cannot hoarde the pins. Those might be problems.

As an elementary teacher, I feel like Disney is now treating everyone like 8 year olds. You reward children for a job well done, this reinforces that act so that it happens again. Giving out pins for such acts as clearing off your table is wrong. These are acts that we as respectable adults* should do on a normal everyday basis, without thinking about it. We shouldn't have to be rewarded for it. I like the idea of giving out pins and maybe other small items, but not for everyday acts. They could even just walk up to a family, smile, hand them a pin, and say "have a magical day from WDW". Much nicer then "wow--you cleaned off your table, here's a pin."

*yes I know we're all not respectible, responsible adults, but we should be, so I'll leave it at that.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Some clarification...

The pins.. To be given out by Cms will be two pins stuck on a card. The Guest, chosen by the CM, will keep one of those pins. Then, that Guest, will give one of those pins away - to another Guest. To spread the pixie dust.

It's not meant to be traded away, though they can trade "their" pin. Yeah, it's gonna be a mess, since the pins can't be told apart.

The CM, to give away the pair of pins, is supposed to select a guest who is throwing away trash, busing their own table, smiling at other guests, and other such things. It is specificly told not to be given out for birthdays and other such events and not to be given out to anyone who asks for it - so that settles that problem (or creates a bigger one, if you look at it that way).

The only way to get one is to have another guest "gift" you one, to trade it off a lanyard (if another guest decided to trade their "own" away), or to be awarded it for an act of goodness.

I can just see pin-addicts in the parks making fools of themselves sorting recyclables and holding open doors and smiling at everyone and other such nonsense to try and score these pins to sell on eBay.

Did you know there are people who have lost their houses over pins?

I digress, this is not worth not having Epcot's 25th celebrated though.

JimboJones123

Two things on this:

2. I agree that EPCOT needs more (obviously). However, I don't think it is necessarily a global event. If they are doing this global marketing campaign, though, how great a way to do a local event: "One of Walt's greatest dreams was EPCOT. See what it has become and the dreams it has inspired at a brand new dedication upon the 25th anniversary of the Future. Come discover new dreams and inspirations at the new EPCOT." Promote it in America only and through the major WDW markets and tie it in as a part of the celebration." Similar things could be done at the other parks. That way, you have global branding with local changes in implementation. That's how successful marketing works.

Oh boy.

petersenjp

Two Pins on a Card

This is my question, do you really think people (generally speaking) will actually give people one of their pins? In my opinion, I dont think there will be a lot of people giving them out. I can see a lot of people keeping both pins to them selves...But that is just me.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
And.. come to think of it..

Isn't this.. especially since Disney has specified to get the pin you have to be "behaving" and doing an act of kindness/goodness...

Isn't it saying that Disney thinks pin traders are rude? I think pin traders should be offended by this and rebel.

imagineer boy

Yup, this whole "Year of a Million Dreams" is only a cheap ploy by Disney by playing off of the success of the 50 years celebration. I agree, the pins sound really lame. I mean, come on, you get a pin for throwing out trash?! That's just stupid. And its also really making me mad that they're ignoring Epcot's 25th anniversary. Come on Disney, you're always going on about how you want more people to go to Epcot right? This is the perfect oppertunity to do that!

Just goes to show how the marketing department has no brains.

Horizons1

Yup, this whole "Year of a Million Dreams" is only a cheap ploy by Disney by playing off of the success of the 50 years celebration. I agree, the pins sound really lame. I mean, come on, you get a pin for throwing out trash?! That's just stupid

Well atleast the parks will be alot cleaner nowadays. Heck, some people may even bring their own ladders and do some painting and lightbulb replacing.

:lol:

But yeah, I totally agree, this is one of the most stupid things I have heard of doing for a celebration. 15 months?! Sheesh, why not just make it permanent?

Epcot could and would benefit greatly from a 25th anniversary celebration, they are just being lazy. Rather than do something that deserves to happen, well drag out some celebration for 15 months that was literally thought up over night. Ooooh, this one is going to hurt...

imagineer boy

I think some of you are bitter because you know you won't be selected to spend a night in Walt Disney's apartment in the castle, or be the grand marshalls at every Disney theme park in the world.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Um... you were joking right?:confused: :lookaroun

Magicot

Where does it say that it is going to be a 15 month celebration?? I thought that it ended next September- hence the Year of a Million Dreams. This doesn't make any sense.:brick:

Without question, Epcot deserves a celebration. I just don't understand why Disney would let this money-making opportunity pass by. I'm not asking for a worldwide event, I'm not asking for a WDW-wide event. Just a nice celebration in Epcot, for Epcot. They need to honor a 25 year old park in some way greater than just pins, magnets, and key-chains.

I really wish I worked for Disney and had some say in this.:zipit:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I'm sure they will do something for EPCOT's 25th (not necessarily a worldwide campaign). Perhaps a new parade or new fireworks (though I don't think we'll be seeing new fireworks at EPCOT until 2008), as well as the improvement of a few rides/shows.

And every guest that complains about the lack of celebration for EPCOT will be given a Tinkerbell Pin.

The rules state that the Tinkerbell pins can't be given out as Guest Recovery items (aka: for complaints).

You have to smile, sort recyclables, or bus a table.

lcsrig

If you do a "good Deed" at my school you get a "Caught Being Good" ticket. This sounds like the same ploy. Give me a Disney Dollar! I'd rather that than a pin. I can use that!

EPCOT needs a huge celebration. Maybe the reason some people don't like it is because it goes over their head. I guess we like it because we enjoy educating ourselves. Just my two cents!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
If the Year of a Million Dreams runs for 15 months (yes, i was shocked myself) and starts October 1st, 2006, then it wont end until January 2008.

That means Epcot's 25th on October 1st, 2007, will be glossed over and they have no current intent of kicking off a new celebration on that date.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom