Say "NO!" to Pixie Dust pins!

MMP

I think it sounds cute. I also think everyone should quit complaining about the lack of Epcot's celebration when they really have no idea if there is or isn't one.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Who says there won't be anything special for the 25th, are YOU a Disney exec or imagineer?

I think the pins are a nice idea, but it does not mean that are going to ignore Epcot's 25th...

I am sure we are going to at least do something.

So, how exactly does one fit Epcot 25th into the end of a 15month celebration about dreams?

A park's birthday is usually a year long event. Disney does not overlap those events. Either it will end before Epcot's starts, or Epcot's wont ever start. You know that's true. That's why there's been no WDW 35th celebration.

askmike1

I didn't read all 6 pages (or even 6 posts) here, but I must say this (and I don't mean it in a rude way)... I think you need to chill out about this. Sometimes, it is best to let things run their course and not freak out about little things that likely mean nothing.

AliciaLuvzDizne

As part of the new "Year of a Million Dreams" promotion Disney will be introducing Pixie Dust pins featuring Tinkerbelle given out by CMs in the parks and resorts.

They will be like the Magical Moment certficates given out during the other celebrations, but even less special - they've been specificly denoted to be given out for mundane acts like busing your own table and throwing trash into a trash can, or smiling at another guest at the entrance gate.

They are hoped to help "celebrate" the already lacking Year of a Million Dreams with the frontline CMs who feel removed because they have no real power to award any prized and normal guests - those who typically wont recieve any bigger prizes due to the statistical nature of the processes. Why does it need help?

Because they want to make it a 15 month celebration!!!

They want to completely ignore Epcot 25th come October 2007 and have this hunk of junk go straight on through until January 2008.

Let this whole thing fail miserably like it needs to.

I'm sorry, but getting 2 Tinkerbelle pins (one to keep, one to give away to anothr guest) will not make 15 months and it certainly does not negate the fact that Epcot turns 25!

*angry* I don't usually do this, but write Disney people. Tell them you're angry. No silly pins instead of Epcot's 25th!
there is going to be SO MUCH MORE than those pins

just wait

head mouse

So, how exactly does one fit Epcot 25th into the end of a 15month celebration about dreams?

A park's birthday is usually a year long event. Disney does not overlap those events. Either it will end before Epcot's starts, or Epcot's wont ever start. You know that's true. That's why there's been no WDW 35th celebration.

Because like I said. the EPCOT event is localised to the EPCOT park. It will not have anything to do with MK, AK, Disney Studios, DL, DLP, DL Hong Kong. JUST EPCOT So it would be REALLY easy to have the event.

BTW you have yet to say where ANYTHINg says YMD is going to be 15 months.

I would think that the YEAR of a Million Dreams would last....oh...um....12 months maybe. :veryconfu

I for one am VERY excited about the upcoming YMD, (anything to stop the HCOE) I think this one will be done with class and taste.

Magicot

Because like I said. the EPCOT event is localised to the EPCOT park. It will not have anything to do with MK, AK, Disney Studios, DL, DLP, DL Hong Kong. JUST EPCOT So it would be REALLY easy to have the event.

BTW you have yet to say where ANYTHINg says YMD is going to be 15 months.

I would think that the YEAR of a Million Dreams would last....oh...um....12 months maybe. :veryconfu

I for one am VERY excited about the upcoming YMD, (anything to stop the HCOE) I think this one will be done with class and taste.
Yeah merf, I am still really interested in hearing where you found out that the YOMD would be 15 months long. I hadn't heard that from anyone else but you. Can you help me out?

uglybug2005

I think you need to take a break, merf. To twist the idea of giving away a free pin and one to share (which is intended to increase guest-to-guest interaction) into some sort of evil plot to ruin your day/snub Epcot's 25th anniversary (which doesn't even start until Oct 1 2007) is a little off the deep end even for the internet.
Btw, this is not intended to replace magical moment certificates, and it's one of many extra magical moments that will be brightening peoples visits over the coming year.
Here's a small gift for you and one for you to give to a new friend = I hate it and it should be destroyed... really?

Ringo8n24

Where does it say they are not doing anything for EPCOT's 25th?

Thank you. That is what I was going to say. I am not going to get bent out of shape worrying about the speculation of "to be or not to be" of an Epcot celebration. Epcot is my favorite park and I know it is for others, too. Therefore, I do not feel Disney will let the 25th anniversary go by without at least some special merchandising. I remember when Epcot was being built and it was on the cover of the Weekly Reader (I still have that issue somewhere). It was a huge deal for Disney to complete Epcot.

imagineer boy

askmike1 said:
I didn't read all 6 pages (or even 6 posts) here, but I must say this (and I don't mean it in a rude way)... I think you need to chill out about this. Sometimes, it is best to let things run their course and not freak out about little things that likely mean nothing.

That's what we did before SGE opened....

Scar Junior

I'm with Merf... this sounds retarded. But then again, guests do like "rewards" and - generally speaking - people are stupid, so I'm sure Disney will get good feedback from this program.

head mouse

I'm with Merf... this sounds retarded. But then again, guests do like "rewards" and - generally speaking - people are stupid, so I'm sure Disney will get good feedback from this program.

:zipit: :brick:

Just do me a favor. If you to the parks and they happen to give you one of thoes "retarded,stupid" rewards, send it to me.

uklad79

They have just started to run the "Disney Parks" tv advert here in the UK to support the year of a billion pins marketing idea and it is cr*p. It seems cheap as we used to have adverts for Disneyland Paris and WDW running now we have a cheap looking advert for Disney Parks and a quickly put together webpage www.disneyparks.co.uk to direct you to the correct website since they can't put both on the advert or that would look even cheaper.:hammer:

speck76

:sohappy:

finally....a voice of reason

It seems to me there are two arguements going on....if I can give a brief summary...

1. *cry/whine/complain* there are not huge new attractions associated with this next marketing campaign like there were with HCOE....it is actually about marketing there parks, and the product that already exists

2. *cry/whine/complain* Epcot's 25th is being ignored.....

With the economy humming along, there is little to know reason for the type of expansion that occured with HCOE.....but besides, there are 3 if not more attractions that will be opening during this next marketing campaign.....no...none of them are as large as Soarin' or EE....but they do not need to be. Not every new attraction can be an EE.

Furthermore, WDW has NEVER celebrated in major fashion the anniversary of a single park, but has always celebrated the major anniversaries of the entire resort. Epcot's 25th only means something to a small amount of people. If you told the average guest that Epcot would be 25 next year, there response would be minimal....and to follow up 50 years of Disney parks with 25 years of Epcot.....the message would be lost....and what is marketing without a strong message?

Besides....following an anniversary with an anniversary is a pretty stupid marketing idea.

Now, I am sure Epcot will get something for its 25th, but it will probably be more on the level of a commemorative pin, or coin....or something of that nature.

JimboJones123

Aren't most YOMD events not supposed to start til '07, like the overnight. Oct-Dec seems like a preview of YOMD w/the full swing of things starting Jan 1. That's when the official year starts. So it may be 15 months, but the first 3 are preview.

And like somebody just posted, What does EPCOT 25 have to do w/AK? Nothing. It will be an EPCOT event for EPCOT. There doesn't need to be EPCOT stuff all over the place. Just in EPCOT.

Disney is doing the Magical Beginnings RIGHT NOW while HCOE is going on. They can pat their heads and rub their tummies.

Rogue71371

Wow! How did this turn into a heated debate?

I like this idea of the pins. I am a notorious door holder, trash picker-upper, all around helper of my fellow person. I do it because I was raised that way, and it makes me feel good, and maybe if other people see good manors maybe they will do the same. (Yikes! I just re-read that paragraph, and I did not mean to pat myself on the back....it's just what I think)

The golden rule goes very far in my book, and I am NEVER looking for a "reward" for doing something that people should be compelled to do anyway, but you better beleive that if a CM hands me some pins for doing what I think "normal" I will hand both out to other guests.

As far as Epcots 25th goes, I do not see how these 2 things havve anything in common. Epcot is my favorite park, and I am sure Disney will celibrate it in some way.

((((((((((((((((((Group Hug)))))))))))))))))))

63 Days to go!!!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Unlike speck, I see two other trains of thought..

1. Yay! A pin!

2. Epcot's anniversary will be celebrated.

So, either personal greed/apathy over the situation or blind faith in a celebration for Epcot because "it's the right thing to do" but we have no proof they're doing it.

The pin scheme isn't inherently a bad thing, though poorly thought out and certainly not having 15 months worth of interest - it's that the celebration was clearly listed a year long event prior to them.

Then focus changed. Critique of the whole system came in, not many people were going to win prizes, CMs complained because they weren't going to be involved. Then they throw in the pins, appeasing the CMs who want to be involved and the guests who wanted to have something they feel they won, and viola - the celebration is extended for 3 more months because of the momentum it gains!

Before, the model and idea was to let YOMD fizzle out just prior to October and then have Epcot's 25th bring in lots of publicity and guests. Now, instead, the momentum of people getting free pins will barrel right through. Unless it fails - which hopefully it will. Where Magic Lives failed, so mercifully this will too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom