Say "NO!" to Pixie Dust pins!

And that is what the Year of A Million Dreams is supposed to do... Make that an everyday experience! So I guess Disney can make that the first "wish" or DREAM come true at Disney... Congrats PSU Princess, you have helped to kick off the Year of a Million Dreams!

And pins, fast passes, and mouse ears are not the end all, be all of the celebration, despite what Mousermerf would like you to believe... Its the experience mentioned above that you said YOU would like to see that will mean much more to families than receiving a pin, or mouse ears... Don't get me wrong... I will be hoping to get some Year of a Million Dreams Mouse Ears to add to my collection... but I would much rather ride with Brer Rabbit down Splash Mountain and get the picture.... wouldn't you?

I do think the experiences sound great...but I think they should continue beyond just the year of a million dreams celebration. The people who have gone to the little ones extra magic hours in fantasyland have had nothing but good things to say....especially when the talk about their kids getting to ride rides with the characters...I think this should be part of the everyday opportunites at Disney.

Enderikari

To note, Epcot is the park with the lowest number of "Dream Fastpass" lanyard being given out.

Those who want, want, want for themselves... and no longer experience happiness thinking about becoming a temporary resident of the Haunted Mansion, or falling with Brer Rabbit to the Briar Patch... Well, hopefully they will find their dreams again.

Those who think having a stranger walk up to you and say "Hi there, what you just did was very nice, and I'd like to give you a small token of thanks." is "cheap", "lame", "retarded", "stupid", or generally something horrible is either jaded and takes the magical guest experience for granted, or feels jealous of or threatened by the idea of others being made to feel special.

The snide comments about things being given away being some sort of scam, or underwhelming, seem to come from a selfish attitude

You really think Disney is going to use the Pixie Pins for their marketing campaign for this celebration? Some of you people amaze me.
You may consider it a scam, but I really don't think that the Smiths from Tulsa, who have never been to Disney before are going to feel scamed when someone walks up to their eight-year-old son and places a set of mouse ears on his head just because they want to make him feel special. In fact, THAT will probably make them want to come back because it's a magical moment for them

Are the pins some amazing prize? No. But I really want to know what you expect as the base-level prize in this type of promotion.

Sorry.... I just thought I would reprint the "best of" from this thread....

Enderikari

I do think the experiences sound great...but I think they should continue beyond just the year of a million dreams celebration.

Well, who is to say they won't? Let's get excited for the current celebration... Enjoy our 15 months with more dreams coming true then ever before.... and then let's see what happens... Conjecture about the future is fun... but baseless unless working with real information

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Don't get me wrong... I will be hoping to get some Year of a Million Dreams Mouse Ears to add to my collection... but I would much rather ride with Brer Rabbit down Splash Mountain and get the picture.... wouldn't you?

Well, since you're trying to use emotional imagery to cloud people's judgement - I figured i'd cut through that clutter, and mention reality.. aren't you a CM? You can't have a pair of those Mouse Ears.

You cannot win them. Having a pair would suggest you got them by altering or influencing the award process through involvement and taking away from he guest experience - in short, you aint getting a pair (if you're a CM).

Enderikari

Well, since you're trying to use emotional imagery to cloud people's judgement - I figured i'd cut through that clutter, and mention reality.. aren't you a CM? You can't have a pair of those Mouse Ears.

You cannot win them. Having a pair would suggest you got them by altering or influencing the award process through involvement and taking away from he guest experience - in short, you aint getting a pair (if you're a CM).

Merf - without getting too much into my personal recent history.... let's just say I hope to get a pair... and I am able to receive a pair without altering or influencing the award process.

imagineer boy

Legacy said:
Academics will never outweigh on the job experience. Until you have the experience, your knowledge is limited.

Yes, but what I really get are the "basics" of the whole thing. Knowing how it works. That's the most important thing.

While reading through the 16 pages of this post the majority of the good points have already been made but at the risk of being flamed let me add this. I love Disney World as a whole, but I must say that out of all of the parks, Epcot is the one park that I do not feel the need to visit every trip. My family finds it lacking in comparison to the other three parks (Not just Magic Kingdom). I could be just as selfish as Merf and say that I "Say NO" to visiting the World if their is an Epcot celebration instead of extending the YOAMD to 15 months. This entire thread is based on opinion and speculation.

Enderikari

Well, since you're trying to use emotional imagery to cloud people's judgement - I figured i'd cut through that clutter, and mention reality..

Isn't what you call "Emotional Imagery to cloud people's judgement" kind of what Walt Disney World is all about...? Reality has no place on a vacation to Walt Disney World, its all about suspending reality in order to see the magic, right? Isn't that the Fantasy?

The reason I feel comfortable using emotional imagery is because that what Disney has built a whole business around. The YOAMD promotion taps into the positive feelings people associate with WDW, and uses that to encourage people to make that trip down. Its not "clutter;" its not superflous to mention the positive feelings of thinking of your little girl as a princess, because thats what Disney does. Its not "clutter;" its not wrong to want to see your little boy put on a pirate hat and say "Arrgh!" Not mentioning reality was on vacation at Disney is not only intended, its desired. That's what makes Walt Disney World something amazing...

Those are the dreams that make up the Year of a Million Dreams, the ones that everyone has... Since I was a kid, I always wanted to be a Jungle Cruise Skipper, as old as 19 I wanted to get in the Khakis and tell bad jokes.. My dream never came true, unfortunately, but for kids just like me, it possibly could happen. Some dreams are bigger than others, of course, but its those little dreams, the ones like I had; the ones that are a part of my own "emotional imagery" that will matter to people more than the material pins which you have chosen to focus your attention on...

Legacy

I just found this on Miceage and was shocked to not see the connection brought up in this thread.

ky091406m.jpg

LOOK! It's the motto for the next marketing campaign! Combined with Figment! For 2007!

Is it possible that Disney IS going to do something for Epcot in conjuction with the "Dreams" concept instead of gloss it over?

Perish the thought that people on this website are over-reacting.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
If you think Kevin Yee has a clue what he's talking about, you are sorely mistaken.

He didn't even know the pin event was taking place this year, and it's an annual tradition. It almost always features Figment in some way, shape, or form. This is not news in the least.

kachow

I just went on the Disney website, and in the YOMD area official rules it lists literally thousands of cool "dreams" they're giving away. There are 60 trip prizes, 367 penthouse stays, 307 castle stays, and then dozens of shopping sprees, restaurant meals, and special event passes, along with hundreds of exclusive magic hours prizes. This promotion is freakin' incredible. How could anyone complain about this? And Lutz is obviously flat out wrong in his evaluation of the promotion. A dozen good prizes and then just pins and mouse ears? I'm afraid not.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I still think the "bulk" of the prizes are pins/mouse ears, which is true.

All those "extra hour in the park" prizes seem really odd too... What if you were planning to leave?

I guess, if anything, i'm still mostly annoyed it IS - as you can plainly see - a "15 month" marketing ploy.

That 15 months bowling over Epcot's 25th is still what bothers me.

kachow

Well, obviously it's a marketing ploy. What else would it be? But to me, this is a really cool marketing ploy. Personally I see alot of prizes, even the ones further down the list, that I think are really cool and original. For example, the pass to MNSSHP is not just, "Here's a ticket, have fun." They give you a halloween makeover with it. I just feel like they've really gotten creative and gone the extra step. And yeah, it's possible you could win something and have circumstance not allow you to redeem it, but what's Disney really supposed to do about that? And I think the prize list also confirms that there are good prizes throughout the 15 months. It's not 3 months of good and then pins for the remaining 12. There will be someone staying in the castle every night once it's ready. There are passes to all the events thoughout the year on the prize list.

And my support of this promotion doesn't mean I don't think Epcot should have events in the park to celebrate their 25th. I just think it's absurd to think they should hang a 15-month promotion on it. I don't think enough people care. Add to that that this YOMD promotion is actually pretty cool (cooler than the HCoE stuff in my opinion), and it's a no-brainer to me.

wannab@dis

I still think the "bulk" of the prizes are pins/mouse ears, which is true.

All those "extra hour in the park" prizes seem really odd too... What if you were planning to leave?

I guess, if anything, i'm still mostly annoyed it IS - as you can plainly see - a "15 month" marketing ploy.

That 15 months bowling over Epcot's 25th is still what bothers me.
Did you REALLY think the "bulk" of the prizes would be trips or meals?

FYI... The value of prizes is listed at about $17.5 Million.

wannab@dis

Yeah, and they assigned FP a $5 value - which it's not worth.
Values are required by state law to be assigned to all prizes that are given in a sweepstakes. The value of the prize may be considered as goods AND services.

The fastpass prize includes a lanyard that has "goods" value and it provides a service that has intrinsic value...

I'd gladly pay $5 for this:

Ninety Five Thousand Nine Hundred Seventy (95,970) Disney's Animal Kingdom® DREAM FASTPASS prizes available: Each prize consists of: one (1) lanyard with one DREAM FASTPASS badge valid on the day prize is awarded that grants the winner one-time access to the FASTPASS return line at a time selected by the winner during that day's normal operating hours for each of the FASTPASS attractions in Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park open on that day. DREAM FASTPASS is subject to terms and conditions as specified by Sponsor. ARV of each prize: US$5.00.

meryll83

Ninety Five Thousand Nine Hundred Seventy (95,970) Disney's Animal Kingdom® DREAM FASTPASS prizes available: Each prize consists of: one (1) lanyard with one DREAM FASTPASS badge valid on the day prize is awarded that grants the winner one-time access to the FASTPASS return line at a time selected by the winner during that day's normal operating hours for each of the FASTPASS attractions in Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park open on that day. DREAM FASTPASS is subject to terms and conditions as specified by Sponsor. ARV of each prize: US$5.00.

Where'd this bit come from? Are there other details too? Pretty please can you provide me with a link? :kiss:

speck76

That people buy and use to enter Epcot.. after 4pm.. they wouldn't sell it if no one wanted it. Appears no one cares about getting into MK, MGM, or AK after 4pm 365 days a year to eat and shop.

It is meant to drive business to the third party vendors....as in the expensive table-service restaurants in World Showcase.

The other parks do not have a large amount of high-ticket third-party vendors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom