Say "NO!" to Pixie Dust pins!

jedimaster1227

Because they want to make it a 15 month celebration!!!

They want to completely ignore Epcot 25th come October 2007 and have this hunk of junk go straight on through until January 2008.

Really??? :veryconfu Not so sure about that part... :veryconfu

WDWCMAmanda

Ok I wasn't going to post in here but I have to give my 2 cents....

As for the pins...I think that we truly need to look at this as an opportunity for our guests to feel more special on a daily basis. I can understand the view points that this could cause problems...but that's human nature. We can't argue that this, in theory, is a nice thing to do for our guests.

As for Epcots 25th...I agree...with everyone else that this should be celebrated but the fact is, the pixie dust pins are not the reason it's not being celebrated. Every year for MK's bday we, meaning cast members, wear a special pin celebrating the date for the week of the birthday. I would not be surprised if that is what happens for Epcots bday....maybe some special mech and what not, but that's about all we're going to see....

But as I said, I agree it should get more attention...but it wont...:hammer:

kachow

When did somebody say that it was going to be a world promotion?:confused:

Maybe I'm mushing together all the negative comments together, but the general gist I've gotten from this thread is, YOMD is a big scam, plus it's a giant outrage that Epcot's 25th will be pushed out of the picture by it, so boycott it.

My main contention with this is that the two things shouldn't even be considered in the same universe, because Epcot's 25th has nowhere near the legs to support a worldwide promotion, which is what YOMD is designed to be. So the premise of this thread is wild speculation, since we have no idea what Epcot is going to do, and to fly off the handle and say boycott the YOMD promotion is ridiculous, because the two aren't even related. You may as well boycott all of Disney.

But the boycott thing ticks me off for another reason. It displays such a selfish, pessimistic, jealous attitude that it makes me sick. The reaction is essentially - "Sure there's a ton of good prizes, but I'LL never win anything good, and will just get some cheap pin." That attitude is terrible. While I'd love to win something good, I'll think the promotion is great regardless, because it's creating excitement, and whether I personally win or not, SOMEONE will be experiencing these really cool unique things.

But instead, we're focusing on free pins, which personally I think are nice. It's not life-changing, but I think the extra step of having a second pin to give to someone else is a nice gesture.

RedSoxPirate

Is it cynical of me to think the only reason they're giving out the pins anyway is to make the ordinary folk who have NO shot of winning any of the really good prizes feel special? "Sorry, you're not going to win a worldwide vacation or a free lifetime DVC membership. But here's a nice Tinkerbelle pin to make it all better!"

... just wonderin'. :)

WDWCMAmanda

I can understand this view as well but am not sure why, in general, there is such a negative feeling about this celebration. Call me biased because I'm a cast member, but you know what, I was a guest first, and viewing it from that standpoint...this is a great thing. Truly, the best way to think about these pins are like magical moments certificates. I use those on a daily basis at my location. For example, at my old location, the Caribbean Beach, we select a family of the day and make a big deal when they come to check in.

Sure this is one example, but imagine being recognized by a cast member, randomly, while in the parks. I think it's magical. Again, this is just my opinion and I've been lucky enough to be able to think about it from both sides.

Of course die hard Disney fans are going to want a specific celebration for Epcot, but seriously, other than MK...has this happened for any other park? I don't remember a MGM celebration, and doubt there will be one for Animal Kingdom.....

As I've said before...I'd love to see Epcot get recognized, and hopefully it will, it it's own way, but the pins and the lack of celebration have nothing to do with each other...at least in my opinion:lookaroun

kachow

Is it cynical of me to think the only reason they're giving out the pins anyway is to make the ordinary folk who have NO shot of winning any of the really good prizes feel special? "Sorry, you're not going to win a worldwide vacation or a free lifetime DVC membership. But here's a nice Tinkerbelle pin to make it all better!"

Why do you say you have no shot of winning? And this makes it seem like the only way this promotion could be considered good is if YOU personally won. Otherwise it's just a scam.

wannab@dis

Yes... it's cynical and seems quite self-centered.

JimboJones123

Lets see -- Nothing vs. Chance at Something.

I can't see which is better, I guess I would go with nothing.

The big question... Will it draw people in and make them happy. Yes.

At SM at DL when it reopened, they had a Honda a Day giveaway for at least a month if not longer. My family took a trip and got extra days on their hopper just to have an extra chance at the car. It cost them a few bucks more, at an extra few meals there, and decided not to drive up the coast one day. It's just like the Monopoly at McDonalds. I will eat McDonalds at least 3-4 times just for the fun of it. If giveaways didn't work, thousands of companies wouldn't still be doing them.

Besides, still unrelated to Epcot 25 -- get over it.

I heard they decided to spend the entire Epcot 25 budget on the Nemo/Seas rehab. Too bad, Illuminations could have really used a laser script 25 on SSE at the end too. Guess we are stuck with and entire pavilion overhaul instead. Oh well.

jedimaster1227

While I really don't love the whole "Year of a Million Dreams" approach itself, I think we need to stop and realize how monumental this event is in Disney history.

They are actually giving away things-for FREE!!! :lol:

imagineer boy

jedimaster1227 said:
While I really don't love the whole "Year of a Million Dreams" approach itself, I think we need to stop and realize how monumental this event is in Disney history.

They are actually giving away things-for FREE!!! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

jedimaster1227

What don't you like?

It isn't one thing in particular, but the idea of the celebration itself. I just wonder why they are pumping so much into this celebration when it is in an unimportant year (except for the fact that they are giving away free things-even the pins) in Disney history while other approaching years will have much less. Why now? Why not next year? I think Disney has the right idea with a "Year of a Million Dreams" but it seems like they slapped it on the parks a little too soon. If they could have had a new attraction or show opening up at every park or have something special at every park during the celebration and execute the "Dream Searching" a little bit better than "If this person is wearing a Goofy hat, lets give him a pixie dust pin!" I think it would be a little more exciting if it was more important to Disney in the sense that they would have it included in all four parks in a MAJOR way; not just some Dream Squad people walking around giving out pins.

wannab@dis

It isn't one thing in particular, but the idea of the celebration itself. I just wonder why they are pumping so much into this celebration when it is in an unimportant year (except for the fact that they are giving away free things-even the pins) in Disney history while other approaching years will have much less. Why now? Why not next year? I think Disney has the right idea with a "Year of a Million Dreams" but it seems like they slapped it on the parks a little too soon. If they could have had a new attraction or show opening up at every park or have something special at every park during the celebration and execute the "Dream Searching" a little bit better than "If this person is wearing a Goofy hat, lets give him a pixie dust pin!" I think it would be a little more exciting if it was more important to Disney in the sense that they would have it included in all four parks in a MAJOR way; not just some Dream Squad people walking around giving out pins.
It's a marketing campaign. Nothing more and nothing less. As for "pumping so much into" it... this campaign is probably peanuts next to HCOE. Corporations have to continually market their products to keep them on the minds of consumers. Some campaigns are massive while others are smaller since the last massive campaign is still paying dividends.

I would love to see some emperical data, but I can bet there's a huge percentage of the guests walking through the gates that have no idea when a park is celebrating a "birthday" or even care. They are there to enjoy their vacation. When a marketing campaign lures someone for a visit, it was simply a tool to generate new, or even renewed, interest in a destination.

The basis of this campaign is the "magic" of Disney and it's a good hook for many people. Getting something for free is great bait for those on the fence. I'm sure there will be something else that will come along next year or the next... and I'm sure there will be some complaining about whatever is done. But there's a simple fact that many seem to forget... if the investment of the campaign generates guests spending money, then it was a successful campaign and everyone benefits directly OR indirectly through re-investment in the parks.

jedimaster1227

The basis of this campaign is the "magic" of Disney and it's a good hook for many people. Getting something for free is great bait for those on the fence. I'm sure there will be something else that will come along next year or the next... and I'm sure there will be some complaining about whatever is done. But there's a simple fact that many seem to forget... if the investment of the campaign generates guests spending money, then it was a successful campaign and everyone benefits directly OR indirectly through re-investment in the parks.
I agree with you that there will always be those who complain (I know firsthand, considering I am a major critic-and a skeptic about many things). I think that a campaign does affect a large amount of returning visitors, as it convinces them to come back, but I don't really think that one campaign will be the reason that a family will make a return visit to WDW in the coming years.

nsu_demon_05

my goodness people.... it is a pin. And i think the whole idea of it is awesome! I mean just getting a thank you from a cast member is awesome when u do sumthing good like throwing your trash away..but gettin a pin...heck yea...i'll prolly give it to someone else for doing sumthing awesome...spread the joy...i think its great to let all these people know they are gettin respect for their respect! I'm not complaining..there is no point. Instead...how bout we just embrace the fact that Disney is like the best company out there and im glad they let me thru the gates! Oh and about the Epcot 25th...keep ur head up they might do something...you don't know until it happens! Don't be such a debbie downer...just let them do wut they need to do. They workin hard to keep us happy! --yay for disney treating nice people nice!:sohappy:
SpRing BreAk 2007 WOOOOHOOOOOo

jedimaster1227

my goodness people.... it is a pin. And i think the whole idea of it is awesome! I mean just getting a thank you from a cast member is awesome when u do sumthing good like throwing your trash away..but gettin a pin...heck yea...i'll prolly give it to someone else for doing sumthing awesome...spread the joy...i think its great to let all these people know they are gettin respect for their respect! I'm not complaining..there is no point. Instead...how bout we just embrace the fact that Disney is like the best company out there and im glad they let me thru the gates! Oh and about the Epcot 25th...keep ur head up they might do something...you don't know until it happens! Don't be such a debbie downer...just let them do wut they need to do. They workin hard to keep us happy! --yay for disney treating nice people nice!:sohappy:
SpRing BreAk 2007 WOOOOHOOOOOo

Neither Wannab or I were being negative, but he and I are both people that like to analyze and discussed different topics in a nice and calm manner. :animwink: I don't think this has been a negative discussion at all. :lookaroun

About Epcot's 25th, basically anyone could say its possible. It comes down to confirmation (which we will hopefully get on October 1st) to announce something is happening. Rumors and speculation can't always be confirmed.

DisneyDellsDude

"NO!"

But really, I am looking forward to the YoMD. And no one knows, but they're probably up to a little something for Epcot's 25th.
Look at the positive side; they could be doing nothing.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom