Say goodbye to ALL the clubs at PI.

vickyvale

Wow....I'm surprised how many people feel so strongly about PI. I thought folks had forgotten it existing.

I hope good things are happening for the Island 'cause lord knows it's been a bit sad the last few years, but I'm shocked that all of the clubs are going with the....shall we say, "refresh".

Of course we may see more locations like the Wave & Rix that have fairly large lounges & maybe those are the types of places being added.

Does anyone know what the E-brands restaurant will be? Tempanos & Samba have live bands and large lounges as well.

Sad to see Mannequeens go....

wdwfan100

Wow. I'll preface this by saying that I'm not against getting rid of things for the sake of progress, but I am extremely unhappy with this decision coming from the Mouse House. I can see getting rid of PI, but closing the Adventurer's Club is throwing the baby out with the bath water. The AC is one of the few things in WDW that truly has nothing that compares to it. It is a unique, fun and entertaining experience that is not replicated ANYWHERE. I really hope the Accountaneers over at Disney open their sad, sorry little eyes and realize what a gem they've got in the AC. I sincerely hope that they replace it with a comparable experience, and NOT as any part of the rumored "Night Kingdom".

Start your letter writing, folks:

The Walt Disney Company
500 S. Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

(thanks to MouseketeerGreg @ WttM for the address)

Thanks for the address. I will start my letter to plead for a reprive.

AEfx

Let them have their imaginary fantasy that never existed. They want to live in a puritan's dream world.

Just like the drinkers who seem to think that AC was somehow this transcendent experience? :)

If the closure of the nightclubs on PI take away the sole reason one had for visiting WDW, as a few people have said here, perhaps WDW wasn't the vacation destination for them in the first place.

I can see people being upset at any removal, and I don't begrudge them that - but some of the posts are taking it a little far. You can still get drunk elsewhere, I am sure...

AEfx

magicalpins

If the closure of the nightclubs on PI take away the sole reason one had for visiting WDW, as a few people have said here, perhaps WDW wasn't the vacation destination for them in the first place.

I guess Walt Disney World isn't the vacation destination for me then. Im a regular at Disneyland and I have been making 4-5 trips a year out to Walt Disney World just for the Adventurers Club.

I just booked my plane ticket to be there for the final night. Now to get the time off of work, asking for a couple days off just two weeks after a two week vacation. But there is no way I would miss that final night.

Legacy

Just like the drinkers who seem to think that AC was somehow this transcendent experience? :)

I can see people being upset at any removal, and I don't begrudge them that - but some of the posts are taking it a little far. You can still get drunk elsewhere, I am sure...

AEfx

Holy cow, I agree with you.

CaptainMichael

AEfx

The Adventurers Club was not about getting drunk. In fact, I've had a grand total of ONE drink over many, many visits. I stand by my opinion that this is the greatest attraction at WDW. It has been open for nearly 20 years with the same story and (for the most part) cast, and yet, it still feels current, interesting, and fun. The Imagineers really outdid themselves with it, and I fear nothing like it will ever come again.

Dagger

I have to say that this is a poor decision. I have been going to disney ever since i was a littler kid and now even when i am grown up of 28 and single, but do go to disney with my family. Pleasure Island is a great place to get away from the kids for just a couple of hours and be an adult and have adult converstation. I would have no problem if Disney was getting rid of pleasure island, if htey relocated it to a different part of the property or had more Loungues or bars in each hotel , beside the boardwalk to relax in an adult setting and having a nice conversation or some fun, without having kids around. I just think sometimes Adults need there own place too. I think this is why they opened up pleasure Island to adults. I can honeslty say that I think it was dumb on Disney to put in disney's west side on the other side of pleasure island. I mean really they could not see all of the headaches this would cause and it did. I

I feel that pleasure island went downhill when they acutally opened the island to everyone and started to card at every bar and you have people with kids running around after dark with there kids in adult oriented entertainment district. I think Disney did not plan well. There are people who may disagree with me about my opinion, but guess what pleasure island had been there a long time before downtown disney west side. So i feel the west side was the demise of pleasure island.

I agree.

When I was a kid I couldn't wait to be able to go the one place I hadn't been...the "adult" place. Then I actually went and it was not the crowd I expected. I'm sure many people like it as it is, but I believe a lot feel it has gone in a different direction. To be honest, I haven't even been back since 2003. I just have no desire to go at this stage in my life, but still I am really sad it's leaving. I never got to experience Adventurer's Club. That said, we are making a 9/11-9/18 trip, but I'm not sure I can justify the money to get in there.

Snoballego

In fact, I've had a grand total of ONE drink over many, many visits.

Then you are part of the reason that the AC will not live on. You spent a total of maybe $6.50 there over many, many visits. It was not constructed to survive on it's share of the "cover-charge" revenues alone.

Thanks to everyone who posted e-mail addresses of Execs. I just wrote a quick note to two of them thanking them for changing PI to another direction. It seemed for the last few years that they were just going through the "motions". A ESPN Zone/Dave & Busters and more restaurants with special themes (i.e. Raglan, Bongo's, and HOB) that turn lively after 10 pm will bring in more cash to the area.

However, I would like to see Disney invest in a single project on Church Street and provide a shuttle downtown to guests who are looking for that adult night life scene. I think downtown is a hidden gem to tourists with all those beautiful Central Florida people hanging around. It always felt safe (safer than Bourbon St or Beale St) and had a variety of entertainment options.

CityOfIndustry

For those of you wishing to express your distaste for the closure of the Adventurer's Club here are the people to express them to.

If fans saved Jericho on CBS and saved Jaws at Universal, who knows what can happen if they see a large fan base.

Kevin Lansberry
VP Downtown Disney Operations
kevin.lansberry@disney.com

Meg Crofton
President Walt Disney World Resort
meg.crofton@disney.com

Jay Rasulo
Chairman Walt Disney Parks & Resorts
jay.rasulo@disney.com

Al Weiss
President Worldwide Operations - Disney Parks and Resorts
al.weiss@disney.com

I refrain from giving out their phone numbers, but someone passed them along to me as well.

MythBuster

It's all about the money. It is a prime location now, hopefully there will be many companies moving in with unique ideas.

I understand about being family friendly area, but since when are cigars and Harley Davidson's family friendly???

Now, it will be just like Downtown Disney at Disneyland, just stores and restaurants. Boring!!! That was the only thing really set them apart was Pleasure Island.

Legacy

If fans saved Jericho on CBS and saved Jaws at Universal, who knows what can happen if they see a large fan base.
I'm going to be a nay-sayer (because this thread needs a couple)...

Disney (WDW especially) is notorious for not giving two shakes about what the cult followings want. That's why Toad is gone. That's why AE is gone. That's why the Yeti is B mode. That's why PI is gone.

At this point, I doubt an online petition (which hasn't done a thing yet) or lots of hate-mail (which will probably be deleted without reading) will change a single thing.

Enjoy the time that's left... and then enjoy the memories forever.

wdwfan100

AEfx

This may come as quite a shock, brace your self now, you can actually drink with out getting drunk :hammer:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'm going to be a nay-sayer (because this thread needs a couple)...

Disney (WDW especially) is notorious for not giving two shakes about what the cult followings want. That's why Toad is gone. That's why AE is gone. That's why the Yeti is B mode. That's why PI is gone.

At this point, I doubt an online petition (which hasn't done a thing yet) or lots of hate-mail (which will probably be deleted without reading) will change a single thing.

Enjoy the time that's left... and then enjoy the memories forever.

You hit the nail on the head. Once disney has made a bad decision, they will not admit they made a mistake.

Grumpydoc

As someone who lives up north and visits WDW only once a year, my sense of PI is admittedly limited. We go to DTD several nights each trip and walk through PI but haven't gone in any of the clubs...certainly looked like people were having fun, though!

However, in the past year or so, I've read several news articles about crimes occurring at DTD such as pipe bombs found on site, fights in the parking lot, someone allegedly picked up in the lot and driven to an ATM and robbed (I think that was the story I read) and drugs. Is it possible that the execs felt that a "non-Disney" type of presence/crowd has been growing at DTD and bringing problems to the area so they made this move more to head off the related problems rather than closing the clubs for strictly financial reasons? Announcing "customer feedback" or "financial" reasons as the basis for the decision provides a relatively acceptable public relations friendly rationale...it's a lot harder to say we are doing this so "those type" of people go away. Again, as I said, I really don't know if crime and a "non-Disney" influx really has been a significant problem...I'm only speculating. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Just wondering.

As someone who lives up north and visits WDW only once a year, my sense of PI is admittedly limited. We go to DTD several nights each trip and walk through PI but haven't gone in any of the clubs...certainly looked like people were having fun, though!

However, in the past year or so, I've read several news articles about crimes occurring at DTD such as pipe bombs found on site, fights in the parking lot, someone allegedly picked up in the lot and driven to an ATM and robbed (I think that was the story I read) and drugs. Is it possible that the execs felt that a "non-Disney" type of presence/crowd has been growing at DTD and bringing problems to the area so they made this move more to head off the related problems rather than closing the clubs for strictly financial reasons? Announcing "customer feedback" or "financial" reasons as the basis for the decision provides a relatively acceptable public relations friendly rationale...it's a lot harder to say we are doing this so "those type" of people go away. Again, as I said, I really don't know if crime and a "non-Disney" influx really has been a significant problem...I'm only speculating. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Just wondering.

This is probably why they are closing it.They just don't want to announce it publically i bet. PI has been the local hotspot and parents were dropping off their teens to walk around and just cause havoc. Ive been there at night and it can get scary, also people can get very drunk and wander into marketplace etc I think its a good for them to close PI, it was turning into City Walk and thats a road Disney does not want to cross. Disney is a magical place, PI was to party-ish for Disney.

wdwfan100

Seems like the only complaint I hear about PI is that they saw people drinking. Isn't it better at PI than in the lobby of a hotel where kids are even more rampant. If you choose not to drink thats fine. That does not mean the world should be closed to those that do. PI was one area that adults could go. They have these on cruise ships. Last I checked the 18th ammendment was repealed. This is a horrible choice that Disney has made. I think they could have redesigned the island and still kept the basic set up and theme. It will put a whole in my vacations and yes it will probably shorten our stays at Disney. I am not a drunk, but I do drink. It is not a crime. If you don't want drunks tripping over your strollers, don't bring stroller to places where people drink. Whoops that will be the hotels now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom