Save the Adventurers Club

Mouse Detective

1. Don't forget one of the main reasons PI was built. It was built to compete with the fact that Church Street Station was beginning to draw people off property in the evening.
2. Disney also decided it did not want to compete or did not feel the need to with City Walk.
3. PI was also an Eisner driven project. A lot of Disney never liked it. (You also see this here on the board) Not seen as being proper for Disney.
4. I thought PI was a good for Disney for its first decade. It was horribly mismanaged through the 2000's. Maybe it was on purpose.

I feel those are all very valid points.

PI successfully put Church Street Station out of business but it makes you wonder why they decided to concede everything over to CityWalk. Church Street was money out the door so it had to be eliminated. Now CityWalk is huge money out the door, but they don't care.

I feel those are all very valid points.

PI successfully put Church Street Station out of business but it makes you wonder why they decided to concede everything over to CityWalk. Church Street was money out the door so it had to be eliminated. Now CityWalk is huge money out the door, but they don't care.
In fact, CityWalk is so successful, they NOW charge for parking !!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
yeah, it might require a slight manipulation of the pronounciation.. So I guess 'Rhyme' is a stretch ;)

Well if you want to call me a ...just do it...don't beat around the bush.

Everybody already knows what you meant by that, even if it was ignorant and quite sophomoric.

By the way...name calling is generally frowned upon by adults.

uklad79

I swear we end up doing this once per page in this discussion, so let me try another tact:

EVERY FULL TIME PI CONTACT I'VE TALKED TO FROM DOOR HOSTS UP THROUGH MANAGEMENT: The AC was profitable through its end. Not as obscenely profitable as some of the other closed clubs (8Traxx had the highest revenue per square foot of any bar in the US), but still a money-maker, not even taking into account the $25 cover charge.

A GUEST WHO COMES OVERSEAS FOR A COUPLE WEEKS ONCE A YEAR: The AC was a failed concept.

Who should I believe? Come on haters, even our new friend/possible corporate plant WDW71Fan said DTD management basically admits the clubs were successful (too lazy to look up his exact wording).

I don't know why I am replying to this tripe but here goes. I do not believe any door host knows the financials of a business at Disney so from that point you look stupid. Management will know income and staff costs but I doubt they know any other costs as the finance dept. will have overall control.

How do you know what every bar in the USA takes to know that 8Traxx made the highest revenue per sq ft? please point me to your highly informed source of I will assume is made up.

I like the way you assume profit to mean success. The takings were not high I have CM friends who said that the place was busy but the drink sales were low. The other problem was that when PI was opened up more kids ended up in the place which was not conducive to a great adult night out.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
How do you know what every bar in the USA takes to know that 8Traxx made the highest revenue per sq ft? please point me to your highly informed source of I will assume is made up.

I like the way you assume profit to mean success. The takings were not high I have CM friends who said that the place was busy but the drink sales were low. The other problem was that when PI was opened up more kids ended up in the place which was not conducive to a great adult night out.

Conversely, how do you know the clubs weren't more profitable simply because a few CMs said they weren't?

But then again, we're all going to carry Semtex into the shareholder's meeting later this year, so what does it matter what we have to say?

Mouse Detective

In fact, CityWalk is so successful, they NOW charge for parking !!

CityWalk parking is the same parking garages as for the them parks so they've always charged to park there during the day until 6PM. Currently $15.

CityWalk parking has always been free for everyone beginning at 10PM and remains that way today. For most people going to the clubs, this time is fine.

A couple years ago CityWalk did begin to charge $3 for parking between 6PM and 10PM, a time that had previously been free. The theater, shops and restaurants have complained about it ever since and a few months ago Universal finally relented.....for Floridians. Floridians can now park for free beginning at 6PM. The charge for everyone else was raised from $3 to $4.

So it's not that they NOW charge for parking; they always have.

Mouse Detective

I don't know why I am replying to this tripe but here goes. I do not believe any door host knows the financials of a business at Disney so from that point you look stupid.

Here in America, most businesses and particularly the large ones like to keep their employees "engaged". That's a term that means many things but it includes keeping everyone (including the lowest of the low) informed with financial information about the business. Employees also talk to each other and learn many other things. While I don't think 71Jason was saying he learned the financial status of Adventurers Club strictly from door hosts, his point was that he spoke to lots of people there, from door hosts on up, and received lots of information from lots of people about lots of things.

I've also heard 8trax had the highest gross of any club anywhere and that mannequins was voted one of the world's top clubs. I have no idea where I heard those things but it doesn't mean I didn't hear them or that they were or were not true.

Now it's your turn to spew some more much better informed tripe from your spot in the information hub of the world, Abu Dhabi.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Mannequins won best club in the southeast at least one year.

As for numbers, I never knew actual operating costs, but I know 8-trax had alcohol sales goals each night which were announced to CMs prior to opening and I know they consistently hit or in many cases exceeded those goals as discussed the next day at the opening meeting.

uklad79

Conversely, how do you know the clubs weren't more profitable simply because a few CMs said they weren't?

Sorry you must have selective reading. I never said the CM's I know said they weren't profitable did I? I said they said and I have seen with my own eyes the poor bar sales. They or I or anyone out of the upper management or account dept. of WDW have no idea if they made profit. We can only assume based on what we see or hear. I do love how people twist things on here and turn opinions and heresy into fact.

uklad79

Here in America, most businesses and particularly the large ones like to keep their employees "engaged". That's a term that means many things but it includes keeping everyone (including the lowest of the low) informed with financial information about the business.

I don't believe most large companies is so specific about profits of small operating parts of the business as this can give rivals data they don't want them to have hence why many small details are lost in the bigger ones when companies give out financial data. Maybe that doesn't apply "here in America" by which I assume you mean the USA not the entire continent.

I've also heard 8trax had the highest gross of any club anywhere and that mannequins was voted one of the world's top clubs.
Total hearsay where is the evidence to something immeasurable and the other point would have been widely reported but not a single story is to be found anywhere other than your post. It's like the stupid people who say they hear Obama is a muslim or wasn't born in the USA. Just because lot's of people say it doesn't make it true, it just means some places have a higher percentage of dumb people.

from your spot in the information hub of the world, Abu Dhabi.

Not sure what my location has to do with anything but I bet you can't find it on a map without the location pointed out as people who always point out middle easten countries never can. :wave:

Have a delusional or is that magical day?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Sorry you must have selective reading. I never said the CM's I know said they weren't profitable did I? I said they said and I have seen with my own eyes the poor bar sales. They or I or anyone out of the upper management or account dept. of WDW have no idea if they made profit. We can only assume based on what we see or hear. I do love how people twist things on here and turn opinions and heresy into fact.

You took the supposed accounts of CMs who told you drink sales were low as an example of the lack of profitability for the clubs. No different than questioning someone else who claims the clubs were indeed profitable based on equally secondhand information. No real twisting there.....

CityWalk parking is the same parking garages as for the them parks so they've always charged to park there during the day until 6PM. Currently $15.

CityWalk parking has always been free for everyone beginning at 10PM and remains that way today. For most people going to the clubs, this time is fine.

A couple years ago CityWalk did begin to charge $3 for parking between 6PM and 10PM, a time that had previously been free. The theater, shops and restaurants have complained about it ever since and a few months ago Universal finally relented.....for Floridians. Floridians can now park for free beginning at 6PM. The charge for everyone else was raised from $3 to $4.

For me, a nonFloridian, that's a disincentive. Esp w/ so many great places to eat and things to do elsewhere in the vicinity..

Did Knee

I have tried to do an internet search on the claim that 8trax was the most profitable club in the world per square foot. It is an oft repeated claim, many siting this as from a survey circa 2001. That said, I have been completely unable to find the original source for this claim. Anyone know the original source?

unkadug

I have tried to do an internet search on the claim that 8trax was the most profitable club in the world per square foot. It is an oft repeated claim, many siting this as from a survey circa 2001. That said, I have been completely unable to find the original source for this claim. Anyone know the original source?

Urban Myth

unkadug

Why do I feel like this is your opinion and not based on any careful research on your part?

I have researched it also and I cannot find any substantiation (much less any collaboration) for this rumor.

Therefore, I surmise that it is an Urban Myth.

Mouse Detective

I have researched it also and I cannot find any substantiation (much less any collaboration) for this rumor. Therefore, I surmise that it is an Urban Myth.

Urban myth or not, there is no doubt that 8TRAX among all the clubs had patrons in it any night of the week when many did not on the slower nights. It also was popular with all age groups which many of the other clubs were not. So to think it was highly profitable was not farfetched even if it was not the most profitable club on a per square foot basis. And speaking of profit, we don't really know how Disney defined it. It is so easy to show a profit or loss with the same numbers depending on how revenue and costs are allocated. I doubt Disney took ticket revenue and allocated them to each club at all so it was likely just based on drink and merchandise sales. But that's just a guess too.

For me, a nonFloridian, that's a disincentive. Esp w/ so many great places to eat and things to do elsewhere in the vicinity..

Yes, thanks for paying so we don't have to. LOL, but seriously, there are so many free options around I would not pay to go there either. I can see a movie for free parking at DTD, eat for free parking at DTD, shop for free parking at any mall, etc etc.

hrcollectibles

On of the things I like about City Walk is the fact that you can find a parking spot, as opposed to Downtown Disney, where you can drive around for quite sometime before finding one. And they also offer Valet Parking, which for me is included with my annual pass...

unkadug

On of the things I like about City Walk is the fact that you can find a parking spot, as opposed to Downtown Disney, where you can drive around for quite sometime before finding one. And they also offer Valet Parking, which for me is included with my annual pass...

There's always been plenty of parking at DTD when I have been there...even 4th of July week.

It's just that people always want a close parking spot. You can always park at DTD West End and walk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom