Save the Adventurers Club

Brer Cat

you know what rhymes with that? :)

I understand what it is referred to publically, but my point is there are no such things as "Pleasure Island Redevelopment Plans"... internally it's just refered to as the lot zones on the property, thats it...

Foo-shay? I'm usually a silent observer, but I just need clarification on what does rhyme with touché, big chief no fun.

71jason

Management does not consider the clubs a failure, but they do consider that it 'ran it's course'...

Love it, or hate it, this is the course we are on..

Given DTD management's track record with the area over the past 3.25 years, it seems perhaps overly optimistic to assume they'll be in power for ever, or even come October. Also keep in mind, there are outside sources--things like stockholders, who may not sign off on a multimillion dollar renovation of center DTD.

I have no belief plans to re-open the clubs are currently on the table--my last post (next to last? who remembers) should make that clear. My point has always been that DTD management's failure to consider that idea proves their incompetence in their current position.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
you know what rhymes with that? :)

I understand what it is referred to publically, but my point is there are no such things as "Pleasure Island Redevelopment Plans"... internally it's just refered to as the lot zones on the property, thats it...

No...please elaborate. :rolleyes:

71jason

yeah, it might require a slight manipulation of the pronounciation.. So I guess 'Rhyme' is a stretch ;)

I got it right away. I guess what a decade of listening to wordplay at the Club will do for you. Just as well no one else did, probably a "banable" offense.

Rasvar

And that is why it was a failed concept which is now closed. I went in on my holidays and I saw so few people with drinks.

That is why it is the one thing I think they could bring back, if they wanted. I think it would make a much better themed restaurant or even a bit of a themed dinner show with the right expansion using the old Neon Armadillo/BETSoundtage space. I actually liked the club best during the short period of time they actually served food.
I don't see a scenario where it just reopens as it was. It would not be a profitable bar standalone. But the concept could be modified, if Disney wants to get this space re-energized and income producing in a short period of time.

71jason

And that is why it was a failed concept which is now closed. I went in on my holidays and I saw so few people with drinks.

I swear we end up doing this once per page in this discussion, so let me try another tact:

EVERY FULL TIME PI CONTACT I'VE TALKED TO FROM DOOR HOSTS UP THROUGH MANAGEMENT: The AC was profitable through its end. Not as obscenely profitable as some of the other closed clubs (8Traxx had the highest revenue per square foot of any bar in the US), but still a money-maker, not even taking into account the $25 cover charge.

A GUEST WHO COMES OVERSEAS FOR A COUPLE WEEKS ONCE A YEAR: The AC was a failed concept.

Who should I believe? Come on haters, even our new friend/possible corporate plant WDW71Fan said DTD management basically admits the clubs were successful (too lazy to look up his exact wording).

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
yeah, it might require a completemanipulation of the pronounciation.. So I guess 'Rhyme' is an error;)

Fixed it for you. But at least I know that I did figure out where you were trying to go. Don't try so hard. You have non-childish points to make -- no need to devolve. When you do, it just annoys everybody, making your actual points have less impact.

Polydweller

I swear we end up doing this once per page in this discussion, so let me try another tact:

EVERY FULL TIME PI CONTACT I'VE TALKED TO FROM DOOR HOSTS UP THROUGH MANAGEMENT: The AC was profitable through its end. Not as obscenely profitable as some of the other closed clubs (8Traxx had the highest revenue per square foot of any bar in the US), but still a money-maker, not even taking into account the $25 cover charge.
A profitable business can still be a failed business. In the hotel ownership group I've been a part of we've closed properties that were making money but just never could be made to make the percentage of profit for our investment that we expect. We __close or sell them and put the money in a property we think will meet our expectations. Those hotels were definitely failed concepts and businesses though still making money.

There's also another reason why we close profitable properties. Sometimes we find ourselves running a property with the type of business that we do not want to be running. An example was a hotel that was in a family oriented area and that's our type of business. After a few years an arena was built within a block. Our profits went up with greater occupancy rates. The problem was that we also got all the sports teams and tournaments and our family oriented business evaporated. More 'adult' oriented 'entertainment' was demanded by the customers. Not our core business and we got out.

So profitability is only one reason for running a business and can't be used by itself as a reason to keep a business open, there are other factors. Who knows why Disney chose to close the AC which so many loved and would love to experience again. It may be that it wasn't profitable enough or maybe they just didn't want to be in that type of business or maybe something else. We might never know but close it they did and unfortunately so far most things point to them not reopening it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
A profitable business can still be a failed business. In the hotel ownership group I've been a part of we've closed properties that were making money but just never could be made to make the percentage of profit for our investment that we expect. We __close or sell them and put the money in a property we think will meet our expectations. Those hotels were definitely failed concepts and businesses though still making money.

There's also another reason why we close profitable properties. Sometimes we find ourselves running a property with the type of business that we do not want to be running. An example was a hotel that was in a family oriented area and that's our type of business. After a few years an arena was built within a block. Our profits went up with greater occupancy rates. The problem was that we also got all the sports teams and tournaments and our family oriented business evaporated. More 'adult' oriented 'entertainment' was demanded by the customers. Not our core business and we got out.

So profitability is only one reason for running a business and can't be used by itself as a reason to keep a business open, there are other factors. Who knows why Disney chose to close the AC which so many loved and would love to experience again. It may be that it wasn't profitable enough or maybe they just didn't want to be in that type of business or maybe something else. We might never know but close it they did and unfortunately so far most things point to them not reopening it.
The reason's that PI closed were quite similar to what you described. Even if the clubs were profitable, Disney wanted to be out of the night club business and thought they could make more leasing the buildings to their parties. Had the economy not crashed like it did, Disney more than likely would have been right.

wilsonhanks

A GUEST WHO COMES OVERSEAS FOR A COUPLE WEEKS ONCE A YEAR: The AC was a failed concept.

Who should I believe? Come on haters, even our new friend/possible corporate plant WDW71Fan said DTD management basically admits the clubs were successful (too lazy to look up his exact wording).

You seem to have some time to post today....does this mean that you are not hearing screaming and yelling?

71jason

Had the economy not crashed like it did, Disney more than likely would have been right.

Playing meme-killer again, the local economy has hardly "crashed." In the past 3 years, west 192 and I-Drive have exploded with the same type of businesses TDO courted for DTD (not to mention Flamingo Crossing). Disney greatly overvalued (overvalues) the value of their real estate, and what the consumers at DTD will always be.

Rasvar

Don't forget one of the main reasons PI was built. It was built to compete with the fact that Church Street Station was beginning to draw people off property in the evening. (Not that you will ever hear that officially) PI was doomed once Westside was in place. I always felt that once Westside opened, the abandonment of PI began. A lot less effort was put into it. The focus also shifted from being entertainment oriented to Food & Beverage oriented. Things stagnated, included the Adventurer's Club. Disney also decided it did not want to compete (or did not feel the need to) with City Walk.

Plus, PI was also an Eisner driven project. A lot of Disney never liked it. (You also see this here on the board) Not seen as being proper for Disney. So I am not surprised that once Eisner was gone, it did not take long to shut down.

I thought PI was a good for Disney for its first decade. It was horribly mismanaged through the 2000's. Maybe it was on purpose. The Adventurer's Club is really the only thing I would be interested in saving from PI. I always thought it would make a good addition to Adventureland near the Jungle Cruise in some form or fashion. I'd like to see it come back where it was. I think it is tied to close to the PI stigma though for that to happen. That is the real shame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom