Save the Adventurers Club

Master Gracey

Original Poster
What Disney Wants You To Forget!

Here is another Disney News article about Pleasure Island! This one includes quite possibly my favorite exterior Adventurers Club photo (note Chipmunk in the bottom left corner)!

Disney News- Summer 1991
Page01-2.jpg

Page02-2.jpg

Page03-1.jpg

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

Scooter

Obviously you have not been following this thread, but many pages ago it was stated that,

All negative attitudes on this matter are not welcomed to this thread. We are here to discuss how to keep the Adventurers Club a part of the Walt Disney World experience, QUOTE]

It is my opinion that this thread should be closed.This is a Disney World discussion board and it should not be used for personal agenda's.
Telling someone that you don't want any negative input or attitudes in this thread or not to post if they do not agree with you makes it no longer a discussion but instead makes it your personal agenda.

If you don't want to hear or read opposing opinions about the closing of PI, then I suggest you start your own web site or Forum to save PI somewhere else.

While I don't have an opinion either way about PI's closing, if I did, I feel I should have the right to Discuss in on a "Discussion board."

There are some attractions that I absolutely can't stand at WDW, and while I feel I have the right to express my thoughts and opinions, I don't think for a moment that I have the right to exclude others, who may oppose my view, from posting their opinions.

I am sending the moderator a PM on this matter as I think that
this whole Pleasure Island and AC thing is getting way out of hand.
Good luck and thank you for your time.
Scooter

TOCPE82

This thread is meant as a place to update news and happenings about saving the adventurers club. The person saying they don't want negative attitudes probably did so to stop the thread from delving into an argument, which it had earlier. If you do not want to read it, do not read it.

I fail to see how this would affect you, Scooter, if you would just ignore the thread. No reason to take on a fight that you have nothing to do with.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
More articles to post! Take a look at the variety of celebrations that were once held at Pleasure Island!

Disney News- Spring 1995
PleasureIslandMardiGrasDisneyNews-S.jpg

Disney News- Fall 1992
PleasureIslandHalloweenDisneyNews-F.jpg

Disney News- Winter 1990
PleasureIslandNewYearsEveDisneyN-1.jpg

Disney News- Winter 2001
PleasureIslandNewYearsEveDisneyNews.jpg

And as for this issue:

It is my opinion that this thread should be closed.This is a Disney World discussion board and it should not be used for personal agenda's. Telling someone that you don't want any negative input or attitudes in this thread or not to post if they do not agree with you makes it no longer a discussion but instead makes it your personal agenda.

If you don't want to hear or read opposing opinions about the closing of PI, then I suggest you start your own web site or Forum to save PI somewhere else.

While I don't have an opinion either way about PI's closing, if I did, I feel I should have the right to Discuss in on a "Discussion board."

There are some attractions that I absolutely can't stand at WDW, and while I feel I have the right to express my thoughts and opinions, I don't think for a moment that I have the right to exclude others, who may oppose my view, from posting their opinions.

I am sending the moderator a PM on this matter as I think that
this whole Pleasure Island and AC thing is getting way out of hand.
Good luck and thank you for your time.
Scooter

While this is a discussion board, this thread's purpose was stated from page one. It is here to help give guidance to those interested in saving a magical piece of Walt Disney World from entering Yesterland, and it is a hard enough movement without the nay saying. If you are not interested in this cause, there is no need to waste everyone's time by saying that it is hopeless. Also, I am certainly not the only one who feels this way.

Not that I am against differing opinion. However, this thread seemed to illiminate the need for that due to the title to save the AC. If you don't want to help save it, don't open the thread

I don't think anyone should be posting on this thread that doesn't want the AC saved. They can start their own thread someplace else because we don't want to hear it.

I recall that many people told a certain man that a feature length animated feature was folly. They also tried to tell the same man that he couldn't devise a park based on storytelling and imagination. I'm sure he felt the same way, that those who weren't interested in helping him, shouldn't waste his and their time by trying to stop him. Also, there is nothing wrong with attempting to keep the discussion on track, making this thread far from getting "out of hand". So if you feel so strongly that this thread should be closed, then by all means stop checking it, and let those of us interested in saving the Adventurers Club continue to do so in peace.

Lastly, for this post at least, I have it on good authority that Disney has not been able to keep up with the letters, e-mails, and phone calls due to the shear volume of the guests responses! Keep up the fight everyone, and just maybe we shall continue to march along as Adventurers for many years to come!

KUNGALOOSH!

wvdisneyfamily

Has anyone gotten any repsones about possibly moving the AC? I never went to it, but it was a place that sounded fun. PI itself does not appeal to me. I'm sure there are others that don't like PI but would like to experience the AC.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Just read and wanted to share an uplifting post on the DIS Discussion Forums from "Bill From PA"

To anyone who thinks this is a futile effort, a few years back Disney planned to abolish Early Entry for resort guests, claiming that they took a survey that indicated that WDW visitors would rather have some lame 'Character Caravans' visit the resort instead. I and many others e-mailed in protest, I received a phone call from Disney Guest Relations as a result and eventually the Caravan idea was dropped and EMH restored. Disney does listen, and they'll pay more attention to a letter than an e-mail. Personally, we were in the market for a DVC property, now, that's off the table because of the AC closing. I'll be including that in my letters.

Bill From PA

KUNGALOOSH!

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Here are a few more articles to add to the mix. One including a rare site, Cinderella Castle and The Adventurers Club sharing the same page! Another one describing not only the clubs, but the MERCHANDISE LOCATIONS and RESTAURANTS Pleasure Island once held. If anyone knows why they were closed please enlighten, for if Disney wants stores and restaurants on Pleasure Island, just utilize their existing space and leave our clubs (particularly the Adventurers Club) alone!

Walt Disney World Vacations Magazine
WorldsofFunBeyondtheParks.jpg

PleasureIsland.jpg

Good Housekeeping- 20th Anniversary Guide to WDW
PleasureIslandGoodHopusekeeping-20t.jpg

KUNGALOOSH!

CaptainMichael

Here are a few more articles to add to the mix. One including a rare site, Cinderella Castle and The Adventurers Club sharing the same page! Another one describing not only the clubs, but the MERCHANDISE LOCATIONS and RESTAURANTS Pleasure Island once held. If anyone knows why they were closed please enlighten, for if Disney wants stores and restaurants on Pleasure Island, just utilize their existing space and leave our clubs (particularly the Adventurers Club) alone!

*sigh*:(

sassytink03

Those are wonderful! If only Disney would have continued promoting PI like that, then maybe we wouldn't be losing it. I have talked with a lot of people that purchased AC merchandise from the stores that used to be there. I, too, cannot understand why they couldn't bring back store themed to the clubs that could be open all day and maybe one or two restaurants that would fit in there. We know that there are enough of us AC lovers that would purchase the merchandise. There has to be people out there that would love to buy retro toys, music, and clothes for an 8Trax store. And there could be a hip clothing/music store to support Mannequins and Motion. We know it could be done, but Disney has made up its mind and refuses to listen to us.

How long before we start the "Bring Back the AC" petitions?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Those are wonderful! If only Disney would have continued promoting PI like that, then maybe we wouldn't be losing it. I have talked with a lot of people that purchased AC merchandise from the stores that used to be there. I, too, cannot understand why they couldn't bring back store themed to the clubs that could be open all day and maybe one or two restaurants that would fit in there. We know that there are enough of us AC lovers that would purchase the merchandise. There has to be people out there that would love to buy retro toys, music, and clothes for an 8Trax store. And there could be a hip clothing/music store to support Mannequins and Motion. We know it could be done, but Disney has made up its mind and refuses to listen to us.

How long before we start the "Bring Back the AC" petitions?
September 28th

darthjohnny

Screamscape recently wrote about how they've heard how it wouldn't be worth it to keep the Adventure's Club open:

Downtown Disney & Pleasure Island News - (8/22/08) While Disney never publicly shares their official financial information, we were given some basic figures as to why Disney is more than willing to close the Adventure’s Club. When Pleasure Island acted as one large attraction, each venue was not really expected to pay for itself as it was recognized that some locations would bring in more money while others were meant to be mainly a form of entertainment. With the opening up of PI as a public venue instead of as a paid attraction was the elimination of all things that purely had only an entertainment value and brought in no revenue at all like the old West End Stage, the Stage Dancers and the nightly New Years Eve fireworks.
Everything else from this point contributed some revenue at this point, though some locations cost far more to run than others. Case in point… the Comedy Club, Adventure’s Club and the Beach Club each made use of live entertainment on a nightly basis, so their operational costs were much higher. Now in the case of the Adventure’s Club… Disney is ready to cut them loose as simply put, it just doesn’t pay the bills. The basic figures I was given estimated that the operation cost to run the Adventure’s Club each year cost Disney around $1.5 million… but in 2007 they tell us that the Adventure’s Club only actually made about $400,000. The reason… because a large majority of the people in there each night are either Passholders or Cast Members, and neither of which is spending nearly the same amount of money that tourists spend and are just there for the free show. So the only way we’re ever going to see the Adventure’s Club brought back to life would be if it suddenly started raking in the cash and became so profitable that Disney might rethink their plan to close it forever.

sassytink03

Perhaps if Disney would have continued advertising for PI, then there wouldn't have been the problem of only passholders and castmembers being there. As we can see from Master Gracey, they used to do a whole slew of things at PI and they used to ADVERTISE it. That hasn't happened in a while and then they use poor attendance as part of their reasoning to close it. They could have kept the merchandise stores open also and that would have kept people in PI during the day as they walked through to WS. Disney made this decision to close PI a long time ago and they are turning around their mistakes onto us. Shame on you Disney!

TOCPE82

For those of you that still think you can save the AC; I have some swampland available in Alabama that's for sale at a great price!

Two things:

1) By not trying we would have no chance at all. By trying we can affect change in at least some minor way. If we bend over and take something like this, just imagine what Disney could try in the future.

2) I recall Walt doing some pretty good stuff with swampland...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom