Saratoga Disappointed Owner

RickEff

I bought SSR last year, but haven't stayed there yet.

I like the fact that the points don't expire until 2054. I have yet to have any problems booking any other resort, so my home resort hasn't been an issue. I'll eventually stay at SSR, I'm sure though.

Dennyha

We just bought SSR membership this year. DW and I took our first trip home two weeks ago, staying at BCV. While there, we toured SSR. It is big, but we were impressed with it. When the construction finishes, and things settle down, it will be great. We're staying there, by choice, during a October trip. We want to try all of the DVC resorts, but are not at all disappointed with SSR.

ChadLP02

We stayed during last thanksgiving and had a great time. If you've been spoiled by Disney your whole life I'd understand not being completely satisfied, but for someone who has a family who's never gotten to stay at Disney but once or twice, it was totally worth it. People are so used to convenience and having things right in front of them nowadays with the internet and everything else. Seriously, this is the largest DVC resort, and it's not like OKW isn't big either. You never hear people complain about the walking distances there. It doesn't appear as big because there's trees blocking your view. At Saratoga is grass and ponds so the size is more obvious...but once it fully opens everything will get better as an operation. If you want a better room location, check-in as early in the morning as possible.

disbest

Original Poster
ChadLP02 said:
If you want a better room location, check-in as early in the morning as possible.

When we checked in it was late. We will try to get there earlier this year. Thank you for the advice.

What didn't you like about the boardwalk? We are on the waiting list this year.

PixyDust

We own at Beach Club, Board Walk and Saratoga.

We wouldn't stay at Beach Club again unless it was all that was available. We don't do the pool on vacation - we can do that at home, so while BC has the best pool, we could care less. There is no good view at BC. Board Walk is fine. We've stayed there once, but really don't intend to stay there again. We always go in the off season, so with either of these resorts you are sharing a bus with 5 resorts. Takes absolutely forever to get anywhere or to get back to your room.

We finally had the chance to stay at SSR in January and were really happy with it. Our room overlooked an interior lake and was not very far from a bus stop. We liked the flatbread breakfast pizzas and didn't find the walk too bad, though an internal bus was always a welcome sight. OKW is our other favorite. Its all in what you like. We like the quieter resorts while some love nightlife, a great pool, or being near MK (WLV).

CSUFSteve

PixyDust said:
There is no good view at BC.

Wouldn't there be good views of Epcot? Seems like you'd get good views of Future World or at least backstage Epcot? And aren't there a few lake-side facing rooms, over where that quiet pool is closest to Epcot?

DisneyPhD

CSUFSteve said:
Wouldn't there be good views of Epcot? Seems like you'd get good views of Future World or at least backstage Epcot? And aren't there a few lake-side facing rooms, over where that quiet pool is closest to Epcot?

The top floor Epcot views are not bad. Some can even see a bit of Illuminations but these rooms also overlook the road that goes around the Epcot Resort area and so can be a bit noisy when on the balcony. We prefer the view of the quiet pool. We could even see the MK fireworks from the higher floors there.

disneyhappy

I hate that you had a bad experience and are dissatisified. I was think one of the reasons I am happy that I brought SSR is because it is a beautiful resort. I don't think I want to stay at BWV because there is really no restaurant, go outside for everything. BCV doesn't appeal to me at all either. Pool nice, yes, but the boats are a pain in the rear. We've stayed at the EpCOT resorts and we hate those boats. I am loking forward to VWL, OKW (in a week) and our first trip home to SSR in December. We are not huge pool people, so a small pool is not that big of a deal. I brought for the future vacations and because I love Disney!!!!

disbest

Original Poster
Epcot Resorts

disneyhappy said:
I hate that you had a bad experience and are dissatisified. I was think one of the reasons I am happy that I brought SSR is because it is a beautiful resort. I don't think I want to stay at BWV because there is really no restaurant, go outside for everything. BCV doesn't appeal to me at all either. Pool nice, yes, but the boats are a pain in the rear. We've stayed at the EpCOT resorts and we hate those boats. I am loking forward to VWL, OKW (in a week) and our first trip home to SSR in December. We are not huge pool people, so a small pool is not that big of a deal. I brought for the future vacations and because I love Disney!!!!

Thank you for the response. What were the resorts you stayed at near Epcot. Also, what were your issues with the boats?

I hope you have a pleasent stay in December.

slowbee

We just stayed at SSR ast month. Since we always rent a car when we go to WDW, I can't say anything about the Transportation issues that have been mentioned. But, we did stay in the Paddocks and really enjoyed our time there. Our room was on the first floor looking out at the lake. We were near one the one pool and it wasn't so crowded that we couldn't swim or relax. The rooms were nice and can't say anything bad about the resort.

Since we rented a DVC member's points, our price for each nice was more than All-Stars and less than the moderates, so for the value and the quality of the resort, we can't complain.

Magic Maker

Here's a DVC Cast Member's thoughts:

- The AWESOME thing about DVC is that you will find your favorite resort. I love DSSR, stayed there many, many times. But I am just one person. BCV and BWalk are tough to get into because of the proximity to the parks.

- Waiting to buy points in the next resort is not the best move. I do not mean to insult anyone. The longer you wait the higher the price will probably and the less years you get out of the membership.

I am sorry your trip to DSSR was not to your expectations. Feel free to write to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

disbest

Original Poster
Magic Maker said:
Here's a DVC Cast Member's thoughts:

- The AWESOME thing about DVC is that you will find your favorite resort. I love DSSR, stayed there many, many times. But I am just one person. BCV and BWalk are tough to get into because of the proximity to the parks.

- Waiting to buy points in the next resort is not the best move. I do not mean to insult anyone. The longer you wait the higher the price will probably and the less years you get out of the membership.

I am sorry your trip to DSSR was not to your expectations. Feel free to write to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Maybe they will make some improvements before they complete Phase III, like a second theme pool with a slide.

Magic Maker

From my understand there will not be an additional theme pool. All Walt Disney World Resorts feature just one "feature" pool. All other pools in any resort are smaller and have less features. I don't believe Saratoga Shall be any different.

Also there are many "feature" pools that are not that big, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge for example. Although there are more rooms at Saratoga, which is why there are three additional pools as well. DVC Members also get to pool hop to any Walt Disney World Resort pool, except Beach Club and AK Lodge, which is really cool and fun.

It would be nice if the feature pool was a bit bigger, but to me I have yet to come across a hotel pool in anywhere that was big enough. I love the zero entry design of Saratoga's pool and the slide is one the most fun, in my opinion.

dvcnut39

We own at BCV and so far have stayed at BCV, SSR, VB, and have taken a 4nt cruise on the Disney Wonder. While I agree with you on the size of the pool and the lack of a on-site restaurant, we would have no problem staying there again. We initially weren't looking forward to staying there. Our first choice was Wilderness Lodge.... no luck. Then OKW.... no luck. So we "settled" on SSR and we were very pleasantly surprised. We originally did not think we were going to like the small size of the main pool, having to walk or take a bus to DTD just to eat, or all the bad stories we heard about the bus service. We actually enjoyed to main pool and the quiet pool. We enjoyed the bus ride and/or the walk to DTD. Finally, we had no problems with the buses. They were there every 20 minutes. As others have stated, sorry to hear about you stay, maybe try SSR at another time of year if possible.

Aurora_25

Sorry to hear you had such a bad time at SSR. I own there and have stayed there twice- once right before Christmas time and once at the begining of June. Both times I really had no complaints. The pool was somewhat crowded, but not too bad and the place to eat was good enough for us this time since I had a 2 year old and a 7 year old. We stayed right next to the pool in June and so we had a very short walk to it. In December we stayed right near Downtown Disney and it was a 5 minute walk to the Marketplace. Buses weren't too big a problem. I did notice that they were slow in June, but when I asked, the drivers said that they were short of drivers and buses. So, that might be a factor with the bus issue.

disbest

Original Poster
Aurora_25 said:
Sorry to hear you had such a bad time at SSR. I own there and have stayed there twice- once right before Christmas time and once at the begining of June. Both times I really had no complaints. The pool was somewhat crowded, but not too bad and the place to eat was good enough for us this time since I had a 2 year old and a 7 year old. We stayed right next to the pool in June and so we had a very short walk to it. In December we stayed right near Downtown Disney and it was a 5 minute walk to the Marketplace. Buses weren't too big a problem. I did notice that they were slow in June, but when I asked, the drivers said that they were short of drivers and buses. So, that might be a factor with the bus issue.

How were you able to get the room with a view of Downtown Disney? Is it true that it is what is available at the time of check-in?

Aurora_25

disbest said:
How were you able to get the room with a view of Downtown Disney? Is it true that it is what is available at the time of check-in?
Honestly, I don't know how we got that room- it was our first time there and we had no idea how big the place was. We had a 2 bedroom and just said whatever was available we would take it and we ended up looking out to Downtown disney and right next to the walkway that takes you there

Magic Maker

Whatever is available at check in that is the room given.
It seems most non members stay in the Paddock, but that is not a system, it just seems to be my experience

ripleysmom

I stayed at SSR last October and was very pleasantly surprised. I thought the decor was great. My only complaint was the lack of a sit down restaurant which is being addressed. I did go to the pool once but the water was so warm that swimming just made me hotter. Yes they probably could have made the pool bigger but I thought it was pretty nice.

lawyergirl77

We're at SSR right now in a 1-BR unit (true to your hunch, Magic Maker, we're non members and we're in the Paddock), and we're LOVING it!! The space in this room is incredible, the grounds are beautiful, and the amenities are top-notch.

Yes, there is a sit-down restaurant now (the Turf Club has expanded its offerings). And even though we looked like we would be out in the boondocks and doomed to an eternity of walking around aimlessly for hours on end in search of a bus... the bus stop that is the first on the route (first ones on, first ones off) is right outside our door!!!

However, the main pool really does get jam packed. Given the bordering-on-ridiculous size that this place will be once the (considerable) construction is done, they are likely going to have to address that...

That being said, we love SSR! It's beautiful, quiet and (surprisingly) well-designed for its size. We would definitely stay here again!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom