Saratoga Disappointed Owner

disbest

Original Poster
we are allso new dvc members as of 9/22 of this year . just a question, every time i try and say play around with trying to book(trying to get a quote is more like it) with saratoga on the disney site it always redirects me to another resort other than saratoga..why is this..is it already so booked up or just available to dvc members...? any info would be helpful.
It usually means that the resort is booked. If you try changing the dates by 1 week you might be able to get the quote.

wherewhy

It has become more and more difficult to book within the 7 month window. We tried to book the BCV within the 7 month window but were put on a waiting list.

It seems that the number of resales for SSR has increased. Could they all be disappointed owners?

Also, with the recent announcement of AKL DVC, this will probably cause more SSR owners to sell and move on up to a priemer resort. We are considering doing the same, but the resale market doesn't look good for SSR at this time.

Getting back to the 7 month window option, I recommend buying where you plan to frequent the most. People will always want to stay at the priemer resorts.

I've known several people that have sold their points on the resale market ( i actually have bought additional points from a few) not because they didn't like the resort, but because they overbought points initially and didn't need as many as originally planned. We on the other hand, under bought and had to buy more.

eporter66

I own at SSR, and I have not had the same experience. SSR is very spread out, but I dont see that as a problem. The grounds are gorgeous, and I dont mind walking to the main pool. We also love the quiet pools.

What time of year did you vacation? We have gone off-season (January, May, October,non-school break times) and the pool has never been that crowded.

Food - I liked the Artists Pallete although there is not a lot of selection. The new Turf club is supposed to be a full scale restaurant. But - Downtown Disney is a 5 minute walk and you have a ton of selection. It is not like there is nowhere to go at Saratoga.

Disney Transportation can be dicey. But that is not something to blame on the resort. We have rented a car and used Disney buses, I prefer having my own car, I admit that. But - we have not experienced the long delays, waits that you have. I would agree that having a car at SSR is preferred.

I love the resort. We have also stayed at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk Villa's. BWV is great for being so close to Epcot and MGM. Fun activities on the boardwalk at night. But after a day at the park, going back to SSR is very relaxing, and we enjoyed that. If you want something to do, walk to DTD and hang out.

It is all just a matter of opinion. I can understand why you have some issues with the resort, but I guess we just see those circumstances differently.

E

g00fy14

We've been dvc members since 2003. We own points at both the Beach Club and Saratoga. We have not stayed at the Saratoga loacation but have used the points at other locations. To us, it really does not matter what is your home resort. The only advantage is early booking. Don't be discouraged, keep the points and never stay at Saratoga. I highly suggest the Beach Club during Food and Wine season.

eporter66

We've been dvc members since 2003. We own points at both the Beach Club and Saratoga. We have not stayed at the Saratoga loacation but have used the points at other locations. To us, it really does not matter what is your home resort. The only advantage is early booking. Don't be discouraged, keep the points and never stay at Saratoga. I highly suggest the Beach Club during Food and Wine season.

Exactly. I read on the DVC boards all the time about how important location is. I dont see it that way, you are staying in Deluxe accomdations on Disney Property. All the resorts are beautiful, I just dont understand a lot of the negative reaction.

disbest

Original Poster
Exactly. I read on the DVC boards all the time about how important location is. I dont see it that way, you are staying in Deluxe accomdations on Disney Property. All the resorts are beautiful, I just dont understand a lot of the negative reaction.
As far as accomondations, I agree all are about the same but that is where the similarity ends. Each resort has its advantages. For example the BCV has an excellent pool. Both BCV and BW are within walking distance to two parks.
At night you can watch the Epcot fire works or rent a boat to watch it from the lake in Epcot. After the fire works it is convient to walk back to your room while everyone else is trying to catch a bus or monarail. And on your walk back you can stop by the piano bar, ice cream palor or ESPN for a night cap. If you have time when you return to your room after visiting another park you can walk to Epcot and hop on a ride or two, (my favorite is test track and soaring), before it closes.

If you frequent DTD and like a quiet resort than SSR has an edge.

It is not negative to prefer one resort over another. Each resort has its advantages, and it depends on your preferences. I for one can't wait until AKLV opens. I think it will be great to look out the room and see the different animals.

Have you stayed at the BW or BCV? If so what did you think of these resorts?

artvandelay

Our first, and so far only stay, was at the BWV and it was great. All the reasons you gave are the truth. Also, the performers on the Boardwalk at night are a lot of fun.

We're staying at the BCV in January and are looking forward to Stormalong Bay!

We did the tour of SSR and liked it. The rooms were slightly smaller than BWV, but we liked the whole area.

eporter66

As far as accomondations, I agree all are about the same but that is where the similarity ends. Each resort has its advantages. For example the BCV has an excellent pool. Both BCV and BW are within walking distance to two parks.
At night you can watch the Epcot fire works or rent a boat to watch it from the lake in Epcot. After the fire works it is convient to walk back to your room while everyone else is trying to catch a bus or monarail. And on your walk back you can stop by the piano bar, ice cream palor or ESPN for a night cap. If you have time when you return to your room after visiting another park you can walk to Epcot and hop on a ride or two, (my favorite is test track and soaring), before it closes.

If you frequent DTD and like a quiet resort than SSR has an edge.

It is not negative to prefer one resort over another. Each resort has its advantages, and it depends on your preferences. I for one can't wait until AKLV opens. I think it will be great to look out the room and see the different animals.

Have you stayed at the BW or BCV? If so what did you think of these resorts?

We just got back from a week at BWV (Oct 1-7) and loved it. It was great to be close to Epcot/MGM, and the boardwalk at night was a blast

Maybe negative was not the right term. I guess I just dont get that perspective. You are on Disney property in a beautiful room (regardless of where you stay). I dont mind having to drive or take a bus to one of the parks. Just my opinion. Obviously there are advantages to each of the resorts, I just dont understand someone saying they would not stay at SSR because it is too far out.

E

disbest

Original Poster
I also own at SSR.

It seems that this resort has so much potential but DVC fell short. When we purchased we were told that there was going to be a theater on the Main Street, but now I am hearing that they will be turning that into a preview center for new DVCs. Most other resorts have a bar, full service restaurants and also places where you can get ice cream. It seems that at SSR you always have to go some place else such as DTD. If you want to rent a boat you have to go to OKW. Also, they discontinued the fireworks at DTD which was a nice plus.

As I mentioned earlier when we stayed at SSR we were placed in the Paddocks. It seemed like we were not part of the Resort. I am sure that other locations at SSR have better views.

I think if they added some night time activities such as a piano bar, turned the building back into a theater that plays old Disney movies and maybe add an ice cream pallor on the Main Street, this would add character to the resort.

Overall I think it is a nice resort, but I believe it is lacking something to give it its own personality. Keeping with the theme a race track would be nice.

my husband and i own at the beach club and have yet to stay there, it is however, a beautiful resort. anyhoo, last year my fam and i stayed at boardwalk (another great resort), and decided to hoof it from saratoga springs to downtown disney on the advice of a poorly informed bus driver. the blisters on my feet are still healing. while i think the actual resort is stunning, it is just too large. the fact that there is a PHASE 3 still in development is just another testament to that. i really don't like to complain about anything concerning wdw (i just like the place too darn much), this is something that i think got overlooked. i could be speaking out of turn here, but doesn't ssr even have more than one check in lobby? if this is true than doesn't that seem a bit superfluous?

btw: really proud of my own use of the word superfluous, xtra scrabble points!:p

bhickman

Just got back from a trip at SSR (10/25-10/30) and I expect it to be my last there..

Room issues. We had a dedicated 2Br. and found it very different then the 2 Br at the BWV. Simple things like one safe only in the master bedroom, Internet Connectivity only at a desk in the Master bedroom rather then the common area where all occupants could access it.. just very strange “why did they do that” kind of stuff…. And doors.. so many doors… in an effort to make every thing shareable they put doors everywhere.. like a maze..

Location: So spread out… some like this I prefer the lobby entrance thing myself…
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning - Personal Opinion : Having stayed at most of the Disney resorts I would compare this experience most closely to the Dixie Landings / Port Orleans complex, of course the room itself is “DVC different” but the overall feel was the same to us. This is not what I had expected from a DVC property..

As many of you stated there are pros & cons to all the properties and many of these are personal in nature.. I truly respect that and for that reason we like what we saw at BWV and purchased there.

My wife and & I look forward to pulling up to the front of the hotel and having someone greet us with a "Welcome Home" at the door. We always rent a car although as BWV owners we really don’t require it, however we like to resort hop and the buses just don't do it for us. I for one can not handle the buses and need to be "in the center of activity” and the Boardwalk is just the right mix for us.

disbest

Original Poster
I have been reading on other boards regarding people's dissatisfaction of the Turf Club. I have not tried it myself, but if this continues SSR guest will have to eat DTD.

wherewhy

we all are going to have differring opinions on what we like/dislike about the different DVC resorts, I for one, loved my stay at POR lasy year and Saratoga will be perfect for us with the quiet, laid back atmosphere. I also frequent downtown disney often, so not having to wait after a long day/night for those busses is Ok with me. But my brother-in-law can't stand the quiet and likes to be where the action is so he prefers BWV and BC. Thats why its perfectly set up, everyone has a different preference. (and I like it when the in-laws are at another resort :lol: )

disbest

Original Poster
we all are going to have differring opinions on what we like/dislike about the different DVC resorts, I for one, loved my stay at POR lasy year and Saratoga will be perfect for us with the quiet, laid back atmosphere. I also frequent downtown disney often, so not having to wait after a long day/night for those busses is Ok with me. But my brother-in-law can't stand the quiet and likes to be where the action is so he prefers BWV and BC. Thats why its perfectly set up, everyone has a different preference. (and I like it when the in-laws are at another resort :lol: )

Where are you staying in January?

AlohaPrincess

Saratoga Springs

I am not a part of the DVC club but stayed with family who is and I loved it! The room was comfortable and roomy with a great view! We did not make it out to the pool because we were so busy. But we did get a chance to eat at the Turf Bar and Grill and really enjoyed it. It was pricey but the food was good.

Honor

We love SSR!

We just got back two days ago from the holidays at Disney. Arrived 12/23 and departed 1/3. SSR is our home resort. We were in a 1 bedrooom until the rest of the family arrived on 12/30 then switched to a dedicated 2 bedroom (tons of room and closet space). We had all this reserved 11 months in advance. This was our third year at WDW for Christmas-New Year's (our son is a CM at All Star).

We always rent a car because we do more than just WDW. But for the first time, we used busses to get to the parks and never waited more than 15 minutes. It was so nice after walking all day in the parks to just hop on the nearby bus and be driven back home. We started in Congress Park with the 1 bedroom then moved to the Paddock for the 2 bedroom. They are making good progress on the Grandstand and the Carousel is beautiful.

In February and in March, we are staying at Boardwalk Villas just to be different. But we love Saratoga Springs and wish we had purchased DVC much sooner. The resorts are wonderful and the member perks are nice (especially the discount on the Annual Pass). We've used our points to stay at Tokyo Disneyland last year and will cruise on the Disney Magic in March and the Wonder in October (DVC member cruise).

Can't say enough good things about DVC and SSR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom