SanFrancisco & Worldofsounds TRIP REPORT 9/8/08 - 9/15/08

Hey there everyone. This is my first attempt at following up our trip with a day-by-day Trip Report. I've really enjoyed reading other people's reports and thought I'd draft one myself. Here goes:

DAY 1

My DH (Worldofsounds on here) and I attempted to check-in online with AirTran the night before we were to depart and found out at the last minute they had cancelled our flight. This was a stressful way to start things but luckily we were able to jump on another flight through a different airline and make it to Orlando as planned. We left San Francisco on Sunday just before midnight and arrived at MCO on Monday morning. We prefer the red-eye flight so that we don't lose a whole day of our trip in the air.

We arrived that morning and picked up our rental car at Avis. Last year we relied on WDW transportation to get around and this time we thought we'd try our own rental car. We loved it and don't think we'll ever do another trip without one (especially since we enjoy visiting the other resorts and stuff). It saved us loads of time.

After getting upgraded to a brand new SUV we made our way to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We had visited the resort for the first time last year when we ate at Jiko and thought it looked incredible we were really excited to be staying here this year. When we arrived, everyone said "Welcome Home" which is such a great touch. We got ourselves checked in and they stowed our luggage because our room wasn't quite ready. We headed out to the Saratoga Springs Spa & Resort. We knew we'd have that groggy post red-eye day and thought it best to take it easy so we made massage and pedicure appointments for the afternoon. It was wonderful! I will say that I think the whole afternoon was a bit over-priced (over $500 for the two of us), but it was really a luxurious and relaxing way to start a busy week of touring. We loved the spa there and the staff were wonderful.

After our afternoon at the spa, we made our way back to the AKL and got checked into our room. They had us in a double and we had requested a King so we called down and they changed it right away. Our room was actually better than we'd expected and we had a "pool view" which we really liked.

We were met with some magical towel touches:

DSC00326.jpg

This Mickey towel met us upon arrival.

DSC00933.jpg

Our room.

DSC00328.jpg

Detail of African baskets hanging above our little couch.

After getting all settled in our room, we quickly made our way to Boma for the first time for our 4pm reservation. All I can say, is that it more than lived up to our incredibly high expectations. What an incredible restaurant!!! We loved it and were only disappointed that we couldn't eat as much as we wanted to without exploding. Favorites included the FuFu, the Salmon and Beef, the Couscous, Falafel, Homemade Soups, and of course the Zebra Domes!

If you haven't eaten at Boma, please believe the hype and check it out. It's an experience that isn't duplicated anywhere. We liked it so much that we squeezed it in again at the last minute later in our trip.

After gorging on Boma, we decided to check out Disney's Hollywood Studios for Extra Magic Hours.

When we arrived we grabbed Fast Passes for Rock N' Rollercoaster and first hit The Great Movie Ride. We decided to start each park with something we felt was iconic or representative of that park's theme. It was nice to see a little bit of a line for the GMR, and it moved along briskly. Even though it's a bit out-dated, we love this attraction.

DSC00331.jpg

The Great Movie Ride Screening Room before boarding.

DSC00333.jpg

Here we go!

DSC00351.jpg

Classic.

Next up was Tower of Terror. I love this attraction so much! Everything about it is so well done and it never disappoints. We hit up RNR and then waited in line (maybe thirty minutes?) to try out Toy Story Midway Mania. Loved it! It's a blast and of course, as mentioned by others, the line and Mr. Potato Head really are special.

After grabbing a Mickey's Premium Bar and some popcorn, it was time to call it a day (a long, wonderful day) and head back to the AKL from some deep sleep. We had a full day at Epcot to get ready for!

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

SanFrancisco

Original Poster
Haha! Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I'm looking too forward to my next trip. This report is actually for our trip in 2008.

Day 2 coming soon!

SanFrancisco

Original Poster
OK, the incorrect date in the title of the thread is going to drive me nuts. Does anyone know how I can edit the title of the thread or help me change that?

I'm a dingbat!

SanFrancisco

Original Poster
Day 2, 9/9/08

DAY 2, 9/9/08

Today marked our first full day in "the World" and we decided to head straight for Epcot. We skipped breakfast and began touring Future World as soon as we arrived. In the spirit of making our first attraction of the day an iconic park fixture, we began the day with Spaceship Earth. It was shut down for its refurb when we were there last year and I must say, we were both pleased with how everything looked, sounded, and worked. I loved the individual monitors and the AA's looked great. Dame Judi Dench sounded fierce and the whole things was pleasing.

We then proceeded to pick up Fast Passes for Soarin' and decided to grab some lunch at Sunshine Seasons. It was surprisingly tasty and we both had the grilled vegetable sandwich for lunch and shared one carrot cake and one chocolate cake dessert. The carrot cake was delicious and slathered in sweet cream cheese frosting :slurp:. You'll notice that much of the memorable parts of our trip revolve around food for me. It's true. I'm a hog.

After lunch we hit up Mission Space, which I find to be kinda so-so but the DH finds crazy scary. He practically has an anxiety attack before we get on and I swear that half of it is because they warn you a million times that the ride is not for everyone.

DSC00377.jpg

DH Worldofsounds, freaking out

We also caught Honey, Shrunk The Audience which I had never seen before and I really enjoyed it. I feel like they did a great job with the perspective and making you feel like you were made smaller.

It was then time for Soarin' which we both love and next we hit up the Anniversary exhibit at Innoventions. I really feel like they could have done more with this. I mean, why not display more of the old costumes and props and things I'm really hoping they have stored someplace? There were people in there checking it out and I definitely think there's interest in the creation and evolution of the park, so why not do something more elaborate? Oh well, we still enjoyed what was there.

DSC00381.jpg

Display at the Epcot Anniversary Exhibit (we have that record)

We hit up Test Track next with our second Fast Pass and then decided it was time for some coffee at that little stand as you enter the World Showcase. We were grateful to find they had decent iced coffee there that wasn't Nescafe :hurl:.

This time we decided we really wanted to explore the countries, take pictures, shop, and enjoy the exhibits. Because of this we'd have to come back to Epcot later in the week but for today we managed to cover Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, and America. I love the World Showcase! We had a pretzel in Germany and it pretty much sucked, but it was our first bit of food that wasn't delicious.

This was my first time seeing the American Adventure and I kinda really loved it. I loved how they stuck to the liberal, wonderful principals and pursuits for freedom that the country was founded on and it was nice to see such an inclusive finale featuring women, people of color, gays, etc. :sohappy:

DSC00433.jpg

American Adventure, who am I?

It was then time for us to head to France for our ADR's at Chefs De France. This was our first time dining there and we both liked it, but didn't love it. I loved our sexy French waitress who blatantly patted the bus-boys crotch in a flirtatious way. :eek: It made me feel like I was truly in France!

DSC00451.jpg

The duck at Chefs De France

After dinner we took in Illuminations minus the Globe and I really loved it but my DH said he missed the Globe. We took our time leaving the park, taking pictures, and just enjoying the sights.

It was a long, fun, fulfilling day!

MAF

I'm pretty sure I rode the monorail w/ you boys because one of you had a shirt w/ that avatar on it...:wave:

SanFrancisco

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure I rode the monorail w/ you boys because one of you had a shirt w/ that avatar on it...:wave:
:ROFLOL:

It's a small world after all!

That is too funny. And what's weirder is that I think I remember you too. Were you by chance with folks that looked like your parents? Do you look a lot like your mom? And were you wearing the "por favor" monorail tee-shirt? If so, then YES- of all the thousands of people we saw while there, we remember you!!! :wave:

It's too bad we missed a chance to meet in person. I'm Joshua, and how funny that we were on the same monorail. Andrew (my partner) ended up buying the same shirt you had on. Hope to see you again soon!

MAF

:ROFLOL:

It's a small world after all!

That is too funny. And what's weirder is that I think I remember you too. Were you by chance with folks that looked like your parents? Do you look a lot like your mom? And were you wearing the "por favor" monorail tee-shirt? If so, then YES- of all the thousands of people we saw while there, we remember you!!! :wave:

It's too bad we missed a chance to meet in person. I'm Joshua, and how funny that we were on the same monorail. Andrew (my partner) ended up buying the same shirt you had on. Hope to see you again soon!
Yep that was me! :lol: My mom is my blonde twin! :drevil: I hope it didn't seem like I was staring at you guys because I noticed the shirt and thought it looked familiar and now I know why. Which one were you? But yeah too bad we couldn't have met for real. :wave:

SanFrancisco

Original Poster
Yep that was me! :lol: My mom is my blonde twin! :drevil: I hope it didn't seem like I was staring at you guys because I noticed the shirt and thought it looked familiar and now I know why. Which one were you? But yeah too bad we couldn't have met for real. :wave:

I love it! And no, it didn't seem like you were staring at all. We were admiring your tee-shirt. I'm the larger one with the pseudo-beard:

My Facebook Page- lets all be friends!

Anyhow, it's good to have sorta met. My name is Joshua and his name is Andrew. Where do you live? We're in SF. Perhaps we'll meet again in person someday!!! :wave:

SanFrancisco

Original Poster
Day 3, 9/10/08

DAY 3, Sept. 10th 2008

This morning we woke up and decided that we'd already over-done it with our snacks, meals, desserts, etc. and before starting our day we actually decided to use the fitness center at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Lots of times these hotel gyms are kinda gross, but this one was quite nice and an easy place to squeeze in a work-out. It's very small but more than accommodated the number of people that were working out that morning. You'll see a trend throughout this vacation which finds us falling deeper and deeper in love with the AKL. Anyhow, we both did some cardio and then weights which I think helped prepare me for a long day of walking and touring. I actually wish I'd had time to hit the Fitness Center a few more times, but to be honest I conveniently forgot all about it as the trip moved along. :eek:

So after our work-out we got showered and set out for Disney's Animal Kingdom (which was like a two minute drive away). Again we skipped breakfast but they had one of those tasty (non-Nescafe) coffee stands set-up just before hitting the park gates. I became an expert at finding where these coffee stands were set up throughout all of WDW. I believe the coffee they sell is called Joffrey's or something like that. Does anyone know anything about it?

I should mention that we had been obsessively tracking the weather before leaving for our trip and watched as two hurricanes headed straight for Florida diverted to other paths. Today was the first and only day we'd experience substantial rain as a result of Ike. It actually wasn't too terrible but we did have to buy ponchos at one point. More about that later!

As soon as we entered the park we decided we wanted to see animals. We picked up a fast pass for KS and went on the walking tour Pangani Forest Exploration Trail and loved it. We had skipped this on our only previous trip to AK and I'm really glad we didn't miss it this time. I loved watching the meerkats and gorillas! Check 'em out:

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

We then stopped at the little fruit stand and got a snack and frozen lemon drink. Tasty! It was now time for our Kilimanjaro Safaris fast pass window see we headed over and boarded our jeep. We got to see all sorts of great animals and our tour-guide was an older man who did a nice job. He really stayed in character and made the whole poaching storyline seem real.

DSC00483.jpg

DSC00512.jpg

Seeing those pink flamingos again reminds me of John Waters which reminds me that all day long we were keeping our eyes peeled for Devine and never spotted her! We were really hoping we could find her but I'm wondering if maybe she wasn't out because it was rainy. I want to see Devine!

Both Andrew and I really love the AK and the Tree of Life and Expedition Everest from a purely aesthetic point of view. I think it's the most beautiful of all the parks and the detail here really is incredible, especially when you consider how young it still is. Everywhere you look is another photo-op and of course there are some customary shots you just have to take. Here's Andrew and the Tree of Life and me with Everest:

DSC00513.jpg

DSC00482.jpg

So, we still had tons to do! I don't really understand anyone who thinks that AK is a 1/2 day park. We were there all day long, used EMH, and still didn't see everything. We decided to skip Nemo this year so we could check out Festival Of The Lion King for the first time. We both loved it! What a fantastic show. I actually prefer it to the Nemo show and look forward to seeing it again sometime. I love the live singing and the interaction of real performers with the AA's.

We then went to ride Dinosaur which is Andrew's absolute favorite ride in all of WDW. He loves it! I think it's because he's an audio engineer and so much of the effectiveness there relies on that outrageous and scary sound design.

At this point we wanted to squeeze in some more animals and headed over to Maharajah Jungle Trek where we got to see loads of bats and tigers. The attention to detail and design in this attraction is absolutely stunning. There is stuff to see everywhere.

DSC00566.jpg

At this point we knew it was time for a ride on Expedition Everest and while we were waiting in line the rain started coming down. Because the line is pretty much inside, we didn't even realize it had started raining so hard. We realized this once we were on our train making our way toward the mountain. At first we though this was funny and exciting and we were smiling about it as we made the trek upwards. Well, once we were flying down and around the mountain and the rain was literally pelting us in the face, it became quickly evident that it hurt. The rain began pouring while were riding around the mountain! It was actually a really fun and painful way to do it. When we were dropped in a completely over-crowded gift shop, we decided to just buy some ponchos and head back out into the down-pour.

At this point is was getting close to time for Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade and we thought we'd try to get some spots while the rain started to let up a little bit. I must say, this is a fantastic parade full of really colorful fun floats and lots to look at.

DSC00543.jpg

Probably the funniest part of the day was when we decided that since we had ponchos and had managed to stay relatively dry we'd try out Kali River Rapids. So because I didn't want to get wet I wore my poncho onto the water ride like a total dork. And guess what? I got soaked! A cascade of water literally dumped itself all over and around me wetting my butt, legs, shoes, socks, everything I'd managed to keep dry up until that point. Yes, I am an idiot and was not pleased. Andrew thought it was hilarious that I was irritated and decided to capture the moment:

DSC00529.jpg

The only thing that was going to make this situation any better was food and sadly we'd planned on having our counter service meal that day at the Yak and Yeti cafe, but because it was raining there just wasn't anywhere to sit. So we decided then to head to what we nicknamed Basically McDonalds the year before, Restaurantasaurus, for some burgers and fries. We were pleasantly surprised to discover that it was no longer a McDonalds menu, but sadly Andrew doesn't eat meat and ended up with a veggie burger that was, well, disgusting. At least we both loved the fries and the little carrot cake dessert. We love those lil' carrot cakes.

We squeezed in another visit to A Bug's Life, which is kinda like a 4-D horror movie for kids. I love it! It's so much fun. Strangely though the 3D effect didn't work very well for us and I wonder if it's because of where we were sitting, the old glasses, or what? Both of us noticed that it was just very blurry and hard to see. We'd seen it before where everything looked perfect.

Also, because Primeval Whirl was closed we didn't get to spend much time in Dino Land. I know it's unpopular here, but I really do enjoy that old carny themeing and was disappointed we had to miss PW.

After a long day of touring AK, we made our way back to the Animal Kingdom Lodge to rest, shower, and change so we'd be ready for our ADR at Jiko that night. OK, Jiko is just completely amazing. This is our second time dining there and of all the higher-end restaurants we'd tried- this is absolutely our favorite. The food, ambiance, and service is just perfect. LOVE IT!

We were so full and sleepy after dinner. It was the end of another great day at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom