Runner dies after participating in Disney Half-Marathon

Carolwood

Original Poster
Published Sunday, January 8, 2006
Runner dies after participating in Disney Half-Marathon

The Associated Press
ORLANDO, Fla.
A runner who participated in the Walt Disney World Half-Marathon collapsed after he crossed the finish line, and later died at a hospital, authorities said Saturday.

William Kane collapsed Saturday morning, and was taken to Celebration Hospital in Orlando, where he was pronounced dead, said Gary Conduff, a hospital spokesman.

"I understand that he has passed away, and that his next of kin has been notified," Conduff said.

Kane, 43, from Tucson, Ariz., finished the race in 2:27:36, while the winner, Josh Eberly of Rochester, Mich., finished in 1:08:12, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Walt Disney World spokeswoman Kim Purty confirmed that a man collapsed after crossing the finish line and that he was then taken by ambulance to a local hospital.

An autopsy will be performed to find the cause of death, said Cpl. Carlos Torres, an Orange County Sheriff's Office spokesman.

Kane played golf professionally until 1992. He missed the cut in the PGA Tour's Tucson event in 1997 and 1998, the newspaper said.

---

Information from: Orlando Sentinel,

Empress Room

Very tragic indeed.

I am sure that there will be those who will try to craft a reason that it's Disney's fault in general and Mission Space's fault in particular.

Erika

islandbeachnut said:
So sad. I'll be interested to hear what the results of the autopsy are, he was so young for something like that to happen. :(

I will be interested to hear that, too. Our friend collapsed and died while playing baseball 7 months ago. He was 27. He had also been training for a marathon.

SpongeScott

islandbeachnut said:
So sad. I'll be interested to hear what the results of the autopsy are, he was so young for something like that to happen. :(
Wow, only 43. *looks in the mirror*

Unfortunately, this will probably be one of those things that the person never knew they had a condition for until it's too late. Prayers and sympathy for the family as they cope with the loss.

MickeyTigg

This is sad...and my heart goes out to the friends and family of the runner. I'm sure he had some unknown health problem that caused this.

Empress Room said:
I am sure that there will be those who will try to craft a reason that it's Disney's fault in general and Mission Space's fault in particular.

I really don't know understand how this is appropriate right now especially when no one has blamed anyone in this.

mob308

TiggerRPh said:
This is sad...and my heart goes out to the friends and family of the runner. I'm sure he had some unknown health problem that caused this.

I really don't know understand how this is appropriate right now especially when no one has blamed anyone in this.

This is tragic, and I am sure totally unexpected. But in all honesty, whenever something like this happens at Disney, the media, especially the local yokels, try everything within their power to make it Disney's fault.

wdwdave09

Sad News

This is very sad news indeed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

The sobering thing for me is that I am planning on running the WDW Half-marathon next year as a 40th birthday treat - until we visit other parts of the real world, its the only way I can get my wife to spend money on another Disney trip.

Nicole

How horrible. My friend's mom had a heart attack while at Disney in December and died two days later so I've thought about this recently. I feel so sad for the families left behind but I do have to say that if it were me, I can't think of a place I'd rather end my days than at my favorite place.

maxime29

Premium Member
At my university, we had a girl who did cross country collapse and died later at the hospital.

Please do not take this as bashing anyone: Definately listen to your body. Don't try to push yourself to limits, and drink plenty of fluids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom