Runner dies after participating in Disney Half-Marathon

tigsmom

Update:

From today's Orlando Sentinal...

A runner who died after last weekend's Walt Disney World Half-Marathon suffered from a congenital heart problem and heart disease, the Orange Osceola Medical Examiner's Office said today.

Those two contributing factors mixed with over exertion likely produced a fatal heart beat and cardiac arrest," said Sheri Blanton, manager of the office.

Click here for the full story

Kwit35

wdwdave09 said:
This is very sad news indeed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

The sobering thing for me is that I am planning on running the WDW Half-marathon next year as a 40th birthday treat - until we visit other parts of the real world, its the only way I can get my wife to spend money on another Disney trip.
Don't let this incident stop you. It is a sad story but a rare occurance. I did the full marathon last year and had a blast. It is always the same weekend as my birthday and last year was the best birthday ever. I was sorry to hear about this runner, but he was doing something he loves in a place that he probably loved too. What amazes me is that he finished. If he was having any symptoms of a heart condition during the run...he had to be strong willed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom