Rumors. Musings. Casual.

_caleb

*makes thread about rumors and musings, doesn’t give rumors or musings, doesn’t show back up to thread*
This is a classic WDWMagic thing. “Insiders” (not the usual ones from here) roll in, spin up threads that purport to have the inside scoop on things where they hold court with long, rambling posts, field questions, give vague prognostications, and dish snark.

Some regulars fawn all over said “Insiders” and do all they can to show that they’re holding the snarky anti-everything line.

But then, just as suddenly as they appeared, the “Insiders” disappear until they’re deployed again).

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
This is a classic WDWMagic thing. “Insiders” (not the usual ones from here) roll in, spin up threads that purport to have the inside scoop on things where they hold court with long, rambling posts, field questions, give vague prognostications, and dish snark.

Some regulars fawn all over said “Insiders” and do all they can to show that they’re holding the snarky anti-everything line.

But then, just as suddenly as they appeared, the “Insiders” disappear until they’re deployed again).

"deployed"

I've known the OP for years IRL and consider them one of my closest friends. Without doxxing them, the most I will say as that the OP is a human with decades in and around the industry.

They know more than they let on, and have to stay vague on purpose. Just like I'm also being vague.

Why? Because you don't burn sources and you don't potentially mess with someone's livelihood.

_caleb

"deployed"

I've known the OP for years IRL and consider them one of my closest friends. Without doxxing them, the most I will say as that the OP is a human with decades in and around the industry.

They know more than they let on, and have to stay vague on purpose. Just like I'm also being vague.

Why? Because you don't burn sources and you don't potentially mess with someone's livelihood.
I wouldn’t expect anyone with inside info to blab all they know or to betray confidence. But with this thread, your best friend did what I described, and it follows a pattern that happens quite a lot here. Surely you’ve seen it.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I wouldn’t expect anyone with inside info to blab all they know or to betray confidence. But with this thread, your best friend did what I described, and it follows a pattern that happens quite a lot here. Surely you’ve seen it.
I've seen it.

You also need to keep in mind that people have lives outside of here.

I'll leave this page for years on end and come back as I want.

J4546

DCBaker

Premium Member
Boeing and Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development have donated one of the X-Wing Drones to the National Air and Space Museum.

Scott Trowbridge shared a photo and the news on Instagram.

IMG_96693DD49668-1 2.jpeg

Here's the press release:

The Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum has welcomed a Boeing CV2 Cargo Air Vehicle (CAV) to the collection. This CAV was the first remotely piloted large eVTOL (electrical vertical takeoff and landing) aircraft to be flown in support of a commercial operation in the United States. For this flight, Boeing partnered with Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development to mount X-wing “body shells” on two CAVs for the opening events of the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge attraction at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. The themed CAV is a gift from Boeing and Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development and will go on display at the museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia.

“While lightweight delivery drones are being tested at a number of locations around the nation, the development of heavier vertical takeoff and landing cargo drones for military and commercial use is one of the most promising areas of autonomous aircraft development,” said Roger Connor, vertical flight curator at the museum. “The Boeing Cargo Air Vehicle was the first of these allowed to perform a commercial flight in the United States—in this instance, carrying a Star Wars X-wing shell that was used at Walt Disney World.”

In 2017, Boeing began development of all-electric uncrewed CAVs designed to carry 225 kilograms (500 pounds) of cargo. The company used them as testbeds to understand the opportunities and challenges of applying advances in batteries, electric propulsion and autonomous flight. In December 2019, when Boeing partnered with The Walt Disney Co., a crowd of spectators watched as two X-wing-outfitted CAVs flew over the Walt Disney World event. Ultraviolet spotlights illuminated the drones so that only the X-wing frame was visible.

“As Disney Imagineers, we leverage new and emerging technology in service of the story-driven experiences we create,” said Scott Trowbridge, senior creative executive for Walt Disney Imagineering. “Our work to bring a ‘real’ X-wing to the skies above Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge for the opening of a new attraction was not only spectacular, but a moment representative of the immersive Star Wars experience coming to life.”

The X-wing CAV has a wingspan of 20.2 feet and 128-kilowatt direct-drive electrical motors. It will be displayed with the vertical flight collection at the museum’s Udvar-Hazy Center beginning May 3.

In the Parks
No
Boeing and Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development have donated one of the X-Wing Drones to the National Air and Space Museum.

View attachment 783003

The Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum has welcomed a Boeing CV2 Cargo Air Vehicle (CAV) to the collection. This CAV was the first remotely piloted large eVTOL (electrical vertical takeoff and landing) aircraft to be flown in support of a commercial operation in the United States. For this flight, Boeing partnered with Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development to mount X-wing “body shells” on two CAVs for the opening events of the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge attraction at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. The themed CAV is a gift from Boeing and Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development and will go on display at the museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia.

“While lightweight delivery drones are being tested at a number of locations around the nation, the development of heavier vertical takeoff and landing cargo drones for military and commercial use is one of the most promising areas of autonomous aircraft development,” said Roger Connor, vertical flight curator at the museum. “The Boeing Cargo Air Vehicle was the first of these allowed to perform a commercial flight in the United States—in this instance, carrying a Star Wars X-wing shell that was used at Walt Disney World.”

In 2017, Boeing began development of all-electric uncrewed CAVs designed to carry 225 kilograms (500 pounds) of cargo. The company used them as testbeds to understand the opportunities and challenges of applying advances in batteries, electric propulsion and autonomous flight. In December 2019, when Boeing partnered with The Walt Disney Co., a crowd of spectators watched as two X-wing-outfitted CAVs flew over the Walt Disney World event. Ultraviolet spotlights illuminated the drones so that only the X-wing frame was visible.

“As Disney Imagineers, we leverage new and emerging technology in service of the story-driven experiences we create,” said Scott Trowbridge, senior creative executive for Walt Disney Imagineering. “Our work to bring a ‘real’ X-wing to the skies above Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge for the opening of a new attraction was not only spectacular, but a moment representative of the immersive Star Wars experience coming to life.”

The X-wing CAV has a wingspan of 20.2 feet and 128-kilowatt direct-drive electrical motors. It will be displayed with the vertical flight collection at the museum’s Udvar-Hazy Center beginning May 3.

Well I guess we won't be seeing this again!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

View attachment 783003

doctornick

This is such a random thread to post that, but cool.

It's interesting to see this thread resurrected though given hos the context of the initial post (essentially "Disney is broke") seems at odds with what other folks are saying about the company's plans ("Disney is going to be investing a lot of money in the parks"). I guess we will see.

In the Parks
No
Meh, you didn't miss much..They hover in the air in a circle and then leave.

About this much excitement IMO.
997.gif

Yes, but like the much ballyhooed Fantasyland Dragon, we never saw them again. These should have made more appearances!

But my favorite part of the opening ceremony was when the main Resistance officer yelled "RESISTANCE!" at the top of his lungs. It really hit me in the feels 🤣

MerlinTheGoat

It's interesting to see this thread resurrected though given hos the context of the initial post (essentially "Disney is broke") seems at odds with what other folks are saying about the company's plans ("Disney is going to be investing a lot of money in the parks"). I guess we will see.
I mean, just because a company is "broke", it doesn't mean they can't still throw big money around. Even if it's not theirs to spend. Debt exists.

DCBaker

Premium Member

I tried to find the original thread discussing it, but search wasn't working for me at the time and there was a post above that mentioned the X-Wing Drones, so it landed here.

However, I just found the thread I was originally looking for.

Here's another photo Scott shared.

1714757123368.jpeg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The poster was in the thread for only a month.

Their rumor that Disney was 'broke' was laughably false. Their last few posts tried to backpedal in light of the quarter earnings, but they were in too deep with their nonsense, and so, they disappeared.

Now, it was true that Disney was strapped for free-cash for a while. But they always had easy access to loans on good terms, and the various business units were 'turning a corner.' They were in no danger of being broke-broke.

doctornick

I mean, just because a company is "broke", it doesn't mean they can't still throw big money around. Even if it's not theirs to spend. Debt exists.

Entirely possible of course, but I don't really think the earnings reports for Disney suggest that they even would need to go in debt (more) to fund the planned spend for the Parks division. I'm moreso pointing out that there seems to be significant variation on how different people are characterizing the financial status of the company in terms of their ability to invest more in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom