Rumors. Musings. Casual.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think the Epcot version is fine, but the Paris version is vastly superior. My biggest gripe about the area at Epcot is it’s in such an awkward hidden spot from the rest of the park. It really feels like you’re going into a backstage area until you round the corner

Fair. It's fine, but it's out of place. Imagine what they could have done if placed in the proper park, like... in a larger Pixar Place area instead of GE and TSL.

I liked the Simpson's in the 90's. It's so far beyond stale... it sounds like the perfect thing for Iger to pick up and shove into a park! "Hey, it's streaming like gangbusters, let's push it to the moon! People obviously want more of it!!" Yeah, it couldn't be that there's just a lot of low-quality shows being put out these days (mostly due to the strikes, not that there weren't good shows like 'Yellowstone' being put out before) and when that happens, viewers tend to gravitate to things they enjoyed in the past. Doesn't mean it's a hot property.

JD80

While they are slow moving they are in now way similar to the old dark rides. They have some thrill to them, especially those trackless ones and lack the AAs. If you can't tell the difference between Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan and what they put out now than I don't know what to say.

Oh good, yes lets compare Peter Pan and Rise.

Sectorkeeper71

Fair. It's fine, but it's out of place. Imagine what they could have done if placed in the proper park, like... in a larger Pixar Place area instead of GE and TSL.

I liked the Simpson's in the 90's. It's so far beyond stale... it sounds like the perfect thing for Iger to pick up and shove into a park! "Hey, it's streaming like gangbusters, let's push it to the moon! People obviously want more of it!!" Yeah, it couldn't be that there's just a lot of low-quality shows being put out these days (mostly due to the strikes, not that there weren't good shows like 'Yellowstone' being put out before) and when that happens, viewers tend to gravitate to things they enjoyed in the past. Doesn't mean it's a hot property.
I think what frustrates me about these Epcot WS additions is they’ve kneecapped expansion slots for future countries by using them for these rides. Though I guess the odds aren’t great on us getting another country ever at this rate, but it kills the dream of it happening

Brer Panther

I have this mental image of a hypothetical Simpsons attraction being a dark ride or show in the style of those shorts on Disney Plus. Y'know, those awful "Plusiversary" and "Welcome to the Club" shorts that are just ads for Disney Plus with unfunny jokes shoehorned in? That would be horrific...
A Simpsons trackless dark ride would be fun.
Honestly, MMRR is kind of a model of the Universal Simpsons ride turned into a decent attraction if you want to go on the journey through Springfield route.
I don't think a slow-moving trackless dark ride that parks the riders in front of screens would be the best fit for a Simpsons ride.

UNCgolf

I feel, though, this is kind of like suggesting they should only build attractions around IPs that are franchises. I remember back in the day that Iger suggested that, while Ratatouille was successful, it probably wouldn't be a franchise. Whether you like the resulting attraction or not, though, I am glad with Ratatouille they have at least gone outside of the franchises with which they like to hammer everyone over the head.

Most IPs have a peak and, if they're lucky, settle down into a more consistent sort of popularity. I would be surprised, for example, if Disney's Snow White is a more valuable IP than The Simpsons. That wouldn't make me think they should never build another Snow White attraction.

That isn't exactly the point I was trying to make -- that's only one part of it. It's that combined with it being difficult (at least IMO) to make a good ride that actually fits the IP, as opposed to being one that includes the characters but isn't especially representative of it (I think Cosmic Rewind fails at that aspect).

The important thing is building a good attraction, and if the attraction isn't very good on its own merits, then it needs the IP draw to be successful from a Disney business perspective.

I just think Disney has much better options to fit that criteria.

EDIT: Also I've admittedly been going back and forth in my posts between saying what I think makes sense for Disney from a business perspective (I don't see the Simpsons as a good long-term investment there) and what I think makes sense from a general theme park perspective, and those two concepts aren't necessarily in agreement. So I can see how what I've said could be slightly hard to follow from post to post.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
While EPCOT is still finishing redoing pavement and replacing 1 building in the middle of their park, DisneySea is about to open 3 new mini-lands, each with (what seems to be) fully-fledged dark rides.

Meanwhile, crickets over here at WDW for anything else coming that isn't just an overlay to an existing attraction.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Well you’re not Gonna impulse buy an ugly 2024 sweatshirt if you’re hot…are you?
Not me.

IMG_3095.jpeg

Jrb1979

While EPCOT is still finishing redoing pavement and replacing 1 building in the middle of their park, DisneySea is about to open 3 new mini-lands, each with (what seems to be) fully-fledged dark rides.

Meanwhile, crickets over here at WDW for anything else coming that isn't just an overlay to an existing attraction.
Difference is who is paying for it. If you go back to the beginning of this thread, they don't have the money to do big additions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Difference is who is paying for it. If you go back to the beginning of this thread, they don't have the money to do big additions.
They see no value in additions to US parks…because they continue to raise prices with marginal resistance.

It’s not Disneys fault…it’s 100% on the customers who lapped up reduced value in the “Roaring Teens”

We made the bed

TrainsOfDisney

Jewelry is another
The jewelry is my biggest issue - it can really clash with the costumes and looks quite unprofessional. I can’t understand the logic of allowing it.
But having done it a couple times it’s probably the most mind blowing immersive experience I’ve ever done in a theme park, even with those flaws in mind
Universal has some close competition in the Harry Potter lands. when all effects are working I think Indiana Jones may still win it for me.
I’d say Everest might be the best coaster in WDW personally.
Agreed. Especially with all effects working.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Tattoos is one, they’re not supposed to be above the shoulders or bigger than their hand. Jewelry is another, proper costume size and fit, overall neat and clean appearance etc. I think for the most part the new updates have allowed people a little more freedom while still looking professional, but there’s always some going to push the limit that need to be guided back to the proper standards.
I mean, I get it.

But if they're having issues maintaining staffing levels now with loose requirements, I don't want to imagine what happens if the Disney Look were to be rolled back several years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would also say Rise is up there in that realm of game changing. The obvious issue here is reliability of the ride; I’m fairly convinced that management fast tracked them on this and didn’t let them work out the kinks during the design phase, leading to it being plagued with breakdowns.

But having done it a couple times it’s probably the most mind blowing immersive experience I’ve ever done in a theme park, even with those flaws in mind
Ummmm….no

What’s for lunch beyond that?😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’d say Everest might be the best coaster in WDW personally. Probably the most “intense” of their offerings and has some pretty innovative features, particularly from the time it was built.

Uni also is more willing to create intense roller coasters that will appeal to a smaller audience. Not that that’s bad, but any comparison of coasters at each should bear that in mind
Disney is not a coaster place…so it’s all relative

Everest doesn’t work as built. It’s incomplete. Id say that an automatic DQ for “best”

It was great in A mode…rode it 4-5 times and thought it was great. WAS

TinkerBelle8878

Odd.. I was in Pop Century the past October and December and could easily change the temperature from 66 - 78 degrees.
Maybe its only at the Deluxes? Years ago I stayed at All Star Sports and it was a unit by the window that had the ac and heat. At Contemporary a year ago, it was more of a 'central air' set up. With the control on the wall and you didn't see the unit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom