Rumors. Musings. Casual.

Nubs70

Exactly. While people go crazy over DVC trailers, Holiday Inn style resort refurbs, popcorn buckets, pay extra for after hours events and everything else, they just continue to laugh all the way to the bank while they give their “blue sky” presentations of nothing to come.
DVC Double Wides????

1707230143678.png

tissandtully

I think it's an apt comparison. One has been beloved for decades, and despite not having high tech effects its elicits a strong emotional reaction from riders.

Pan is experiential- you're on your own flying over London and through Neverland. It doesn't need a story beyond that. Rise is strictly linear- just point a to point b. Which is fun but can get old. Pan highlights the strengths of early Imagineering and their ability to do a lot with a little.

Rise highlights the weaknesses of modern WDI. Rise's signature effect has been broken basically since it opened- the moving cannons at the end of the ride. It's plagued with frequent break downs and has to operate with reduced hours. It has lackluster capacity for the amount of space it takes up. It was also based on Disney's awful Star Wars trilogy. Rise would be a much stronger attraction if it used OT characters- Vader would look way better as an animatronic than Kylo Ren, Leia and R2 in the preshow, Han instead of Finn, Ackbar instead of fake Ackbar, etc.

Pan has existed as mostly the same experience for 50+ years. I'd bet good money that Rise doesn't look the same in 10 years- let alone 50.
Peter Pan has held up terribly unless you're like 5 years old. The effects are cheesy, the room is full of curtains that you can see all the time, the city scene is a joke of an illusion. I think ET at USF is way better in this regard and of course Rise is amazing technical achievement and every time I ride people are applauding at the end. Not sure which brand of pixie dust you are on, but I may have to get some of that too.

tissandtully

The cannons have last fully worked until December 2020.
The cannons have partially worked until January 2022.
So 2-ish years of cannons. DL had theirs working longer since it opened a bit later.

Only DL operates with reduced hours in the morning and night. WDW always operates theirs the entire day from park opening to close.

Rise has an operational capacity of ~1200/hour. Plus it has a really long extended queue. Would say that's decent for the "experience" it offers.
This is the first time I've heard the cannons as the signature effect, lol.

tissandtully

Odd.. I was in Pop Century the past October and December and could easily change the temperature from 66 - 78 degrees.
Yeah, I've never seen a thermostat locked to 72 degrees, that's just a weird issue if they experienced it. The motion sensors yes, very annoying, but I've experienced this at some Hilton and Marriott hotels as well, everyone likes to try to save money wow new concept.

Sectorkeeper71

Peter Pan has held up terribly unless you're like 5 years old. The effects are cheesy, the room is full of curtains that you can see all the time, the city scene is a joke of an illusion. I think ET at USF is way better in this regard and of course Rise is amazing technical achievement and every time I ride people are applauding at the end. Not sure which brand of pixie dust you are on, but I may have to get some of that too.
I think PP is fine for what it is, but holding it up as this monumental achievement 60 years after it was first conceived is….something. Like for all the bellyaching around here about AA’s, the ones in PP qualify in the loosest sense of the term given how limited their movement is

tissandtully

I think PP is fine for what it is, but holding it up as this monumental achievement 60 years after it was first conceived is….something. Like for all the bellyaching around here about AA’s, the ones in PP qualify in the loosest sense of the term given how limited their movement is
I appreciate its historical significance, but if the wait is longer than 20 mins I'm not getting in line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom