Rumors. Musings. Casual.

peter11435

If they’re not IP laced…sure?

Are they doing that?

And as far as Japan goes - OLC pays. That’s completely different scenario. TWDC would be wise to use the free R&D to build clones at the minimum…
Or nothing…which is their current standard
It doesn’t matter who’s paying. The point was that WDI can still deliver great attraction that can stand the test of time. The company just isn’t tasking them to do so here.

DocAlan02

So, I don't particularly want to see Simpsons come to WDW in that I don't think the IP is that good of a fit. And I think Uni has already done probably the most interesting "place" in Springfield pretty well with Moe's (and also the Flaming Moe is a nice item). They also already have Duff beer and Buzz cola and Ribwich and Krusty Burger which I think are the key in universe food items. So, anything Disney does will feel like a copy or else just not really involve interesting things.

That said... I think people here are drastically underselling the cultural cache of The Simpsons. It's multigenerational at this point with lot of just society presence where even non fans know some of the jokes and characters, etc. And I think a lot of younger kids do indeed know about it - I wouldn't be surprised if the IP related shorts on Disney+ effectively introduced the series to younger kids and I've got to imagine that a lot of those large numbers of minutes watched that we see reported are new people being introduced to the series. The "every Simpsons ever" marathon has been huge for FXX too.

Anecdotally, my kids all have watched Simpsons episodes on D+ at times as something new and interesting. And not something I encouraged them to do.

In fact, couldn't one argue that Simpsons today is kind of like Mickey Mouse in the 1950s in the parks? An older IP familial to many folks but not particularly active/cutting edge (I believe they had stopped making shorts with him by the time DL opened) but with a lot of nostalgia. And heck, old time Mickey was much more mischievous as opposed to the kiddified version we tend to associate him with these days.
My 12-year-old son is a huge Simpsons fan and has watched many seasons of the show on D+. Potter-aside, it was the thing he was most looking forward to seeing when we went to Universal last summer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It doesn’t matter who’s paying. The point was that WDI can still deliver great attraction that can stand the test of time. The company just isn’t tasking them to do so here.
Yeah…they probably can. Flight of passage is still unequaled…
RSR is still great and holds up

It would be nice if the emperor could task them with doing something stateside a tad more frequently

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How is this worse case? If the right company was running the parks- like the OLC in Japan- we'd be better off.

Sure, there's the opportunity for Six Flags to run them into the ground, but Disney seems to be doing that just fine on their own. Someone else licensing the Disney brand and running these parks has the potential for huge upside.
Yeah…I think as long as Disney is chasing quarterlies…the parks are gonna decay.

It’s what they’ve chosen to do
I don't think we'd get a company like OLC, thats why I'm saying it...would be a lot of question marks.
That’s the kicker…but they can handpick who gets it…no need to force it to anyone.
I think his point is that in a Millenium Falcon ride, that inherently relies on nostalgia for the source material- they should have had Han and Chewbacca for the preshow. Or no preshow except for a quick 'This is your mission'.

Hando Onaka is a lesser known character from a children's cartoon. It's not someone older Star Wars fans- the OT die hards that loathe the new stuff- are going to pay to see.
They messed up because it’s sorta halfway between clone wars and solo IP…content no mans land.

They built a detailed land…but completely flubbed the IP

LSLS

I think universal Has a tangible IP advantage in this current moment.

The reality is the Nintendo IP is just as relevant today as it was 40 years ago…and that’s hard to lock down.

Same with potter…sure the books/movies are 20+ years old now…but the kids will be parents soon so they’ll get the boomerang effect.

Very precarious if you’re the mouse house right now. I don’t think encanto miniland is gonna do it.

And since Bob doesn’t know he’s done…that’s what they’ll try. The SOS

Funny thing is, I'm not sure they do. Or should I say, I don't think they should. I just don't think they are leveraged correctly. Universal have what, 2 lands for Harry Potter (and a third opening which is Fantastic Beasts), they have Nintendo coming and already rumors of two more Nintendo areas. We are talking, what, 3 opening day rides, plus maybe 4ish more coming in the next 5 years if the rumors come true? And 4-5 current Potter rides with 2-3 more coming with Fantastic Beasts?

Now compare that with the largest Disney IPs. One Star Wars land (which is not based on the timeframe of the most popular characters), consisting of 2 rides and a quick service. Avatar has one land, with 2 rides and a quick service. Marvel has 1 ride (I know, not all their fault, but still). Frozen has 1 ride and 1 meet and greet at a random country in Epcot and a sing along show. The only property that really bucks this trend is Toy Story (outside of the original characters). If Disney really wanted a splash, ditch the Encanto plans, and open a second Star Wars land at DHS based on the original trilogy and add another ride to the current Star Wars land. Add on to Avatar at DAK.

Sectorkeeper71

Yeah…they probably can. Flight of passage is still unequaled…
RSR is still great and holds up

It would be nice if the emperor could task them with doing something stateside a tad more frequently
I would also say Rise is up there in that realm of game changing. The obvious issue here is reliability of the ride; I’m fairly convinced that management fast tracked them on this and didn’t let them work out the kinks during the design phase, leading to it being plagued with breakdowns.

But having done it a couple times it’s probably the most mind blowing immersive experience I’ve ever done in a theme park, even with those flaws in mind

Virtual Toad

So it's 2024 and Disney may be seriously considering scooping up Universal's discarded leftovers as a "smart strategic move." IP rules anything and everything, WDW is now (in the minds of those in charge) nothing more than a marketing engine targeting gullible rubes, and Walt Disney's brilliant vision of themed entertainment as an elevated escape from reality, a true art form providing charm, optimism, reassurance, unparalleled quality and a genuine respect for guests is destined to become nothing more than a historical footnote. The Six Flags/Universal blueprint for parks where you spend a fortune to simply "ride the movies" is the now the standard for others to follow. Just making sure that this is where we are and asking, is this where we want to be? Is this the best we can do?

tissandtully

family guy fart GIF
This is already the Pecos Bill's experience.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So it's 2024 and Disney may be seriously considering scooping up Universal's discarded leftovers as a "smart strategic move." IP rules anything and everything, WDW is now (in the minds of those in charge) nothing more than a marketing engine targeting gullible rubes, and Walt Disney's brilliant vision of themed entertainment as an elevated escape from reality, a true art form providing charm, optimism, reassurance, unparalleled quality and a genuine respect for guests is destined to become nothing more than a historical footnote. The Six Flags/Universal blueprint for parks where you spend a fortune to simply "ride the movies" is the now the standard for others to follow. Just making sure that this is where we are and asking, is this where we want to be? Is this the best we can do?
Yep…

What’s sad about this is 100% due to management that doesn’t understand

They don’t believe the old axiom…which is always true…”you get what you pay for”

They’ve allowed “analysts” (first four letters appropo) to preach getting more yield with total attention to cost control

That eliminates “inefficiencies” that are actually comforting to the human condition

But at the end of the day…the highest Yields were often a direct result of the highest investment

Last edited:

Jrb1979

With what WDI has put out with Tron, Remy and Guardians, I would take Velocicoaster, Hagrids and everything that's being built at Epic Universe over that.

As much as you look down on Universal, at least they are upping their game in regards to attractions. WDI in terms of the domestic parks has been lackluster. Nothing really groundbreaking outside of Rise when it works.

tissandtully

With what WDI has put out with Tron, Remy and Guardians, I would take Velocicoaster, Hagrids and everything that's being built at Epic Universe over that.

As much as you look down on Universal, at least they are upping their game in regards to attractions. WDI in terms of the domestic parks has been lackluster. Nothing really groundbreaking outside of Rise when it works.
I would not include Guardians in that list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom