Rumors. Musings. Casual.

fradz

Not long ago I priced out a week in Belgium and the Netherlands from a city in the southeastern US that I might be moving to vs a week in WDW from the same location.

Travel time would be similar (9 hour flight+5 hours in ground transportation & logistical waiting vs 14 hour drive)

Using similarly rated/ranked lodging and restaurants for our budget, going to Europe was a little more than half the price of WDW current exchange rate. And if I were to go to cheaper European destinations, it could be even less.
Let me know if you need tips, I'm Belgian and have traveled extensively in neighbouring countries :) . This will include mandatory beers to try.

yensidtlaw1969

What's amazing is the difference in experience that they roll out for the new openings for the press verses what they retained for the customers. Its the difference between a fully dressed canape topped with a healthy dose of caviar vs a soda cracker topped with grocery store cheese.
Still waiting for those Drone X-Wings to be pulled out of storage. I thought that show they did for the opening of GE was underwhelming, but the tech must certainly be capable of more.

It seems like the guys up the road have figured out how to incorporate drones into their park. Though we'll see how it goes day to day.

PREMiERdrum

What's amazing is the difference in experience that they roll out for the new openings for the press verses what they retained for the customers. Its the difference between a fully dressed canape topped with a healthy dose of caviar vs a soda cracker topped with grocery store cheese.
I was at the media preview party for New Fantasyland back in 2013. The added lighting, scenic enhancements, roaming characters, and the flying dragon... it was incredible. Then I visited on a normal ops day and was like, "this is it?"

kingdead

Drones, droids, more walkaround characters, even if it's just on the walkways above guests in Batuu would really help the immersion.

Also more interactive activities that don't involve having your face buried in your phone would be nice also
But then you would just be walking around feeling a sense of childlike wonder and joy, and you wouldn't be participating in upcharges.

LSLS

Personal rambling.

I been looking at my old posts from when I used to be here. Oh my god! It’s so cringe! I’m not even sure I regret it because the way of expressing views was a product of its time.

Man; I also noticed I screwed so many predictions up. Shooting from the hip as it happens has consequences. I’m gonna have a greatest hits screenshot post where I roast how bad it was. But also how direct ways that those posts… mattered. And some stuff I said really has come true in the most hilarious ways.

Btw. The Tiana ride will be quite elaborate. Lots of animatronics. Most are not cheap. They did some follow thru on using all that ride path to tell a story of… something. It’s gonna have some cool tech. The big drop is still there.

The technical prowess and production value I anticipate will be very good. Ppl who say it’s a cheap overlay are wrong. To a point. I’ll touch that one later.
Sure, but will it still be great when the tech and animatronics stop working after a few months and they decide it's not worth fixing (sorry, jaded)?

TalkingHead

Still waiting for those Drone X-Wings to be pulled out of storage. I thought that show they did for the opening of GE was underwhelming, but the tech must certainly be capable of more.

It seems like the guys up the road have figured out how to incorporate drones into their park. Though we'll see how it goes day to day.
What became of the “real” lightsaber used in the failed hotel? More money and promo all for naught?

yensidtlaw1969

What became of the “real” lightsaber used in the failed hotel? More money and promo all for naught?
My understanding is that it's not super resilient. Think this:

1706795415830.png

It could be used in-park, but would likely need to be used very similarly to the way it was in Starcruiser - at a distance and strategically staged. Not totally sure how it looks during the daytime, either, but that may also factor.

I'm sure we'll see it again, but no idea if or when the general public will see it in person.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
This time last year, booking outlay showed a few really heavy weeks surrounded by light to moderate periods.

Today, the booking outlay is absolutely abysmal... including some of the "big" weeks.

They are slowly pulling the discount lever, understanding the desperate need to increase onsite volume. It's happening incrementally.

Keep refreshing.

I mean? I got a targeted offer on December 18, 2023 that ran for a huge chunk of dates throughout 2024 including July 4th and Dec 8-25. 1 bedroom at copper creek for 35% off in December? Don’t mind if I do.

It’s insane they’ve started targeted offers at 35% off a year out.

hopemax

*Looks at poster name*

That's a name I have not seen in a long time. Long time.

You and everyone else can get in line behind me and there was another poster that have been beating the 3rd North American Resort drum for years now. People coming to Orlando for Disney aren't skipping the MK. The only way to relieve the pressure is for them not to come to Orlando.

I'm here now (visiting Dad and friend is here, so we've been in the parks). Every time it gets worse, even when it's theoretically not that crowded. Lines for registers, non-existent. When we booked Prime Time Cafe lunch the day before, we had a whole range of times. And it's impossible to ride any good attractions without an hour wait, or 2 hours in the worst offenders. Had the misfortune of getting in the Buzz line during the parade, but did not get through before the parade ended. So then as soon as the parade passed, a rush of people holding LL rushed the queue so then the standby line just stops, or goes to 1 party per 99 LL.

They talk about revenue per guest going up, but I'd love to see distribution of how much is ticket + Genie+ + ILL vs traditionals like hotel, food, souvenirs. When I look around, I see fewer ears, fewer headbands, fewer popcorn buckets, fewer bags in hands. These things may be hot on Facebook Group sales, but from guests actually visiting? I have my doubts. Everything is being sacrificed to buy Genie+ / ILL.

I don't see how it keeps up. Eventually, there are no more standby seats to sell. Which is why I find Len's recent implications that they are looking at DAS usage again to try and find more ride seats they can potentially sell, so interesting.

doctornick

Galaxy's Edge can easily be sorted.

1. Immediate win. Stop the stupid fixed timeline and add more authentic roaming characters
2. Medium Term win. Incorporate the Starcruiser even if it means building the land out in that direction.
3. Longe term win. Add a 3rd attraction, full sit down restaurant and SW version of the bibbidi bobbidi boutique

1. You don't even have to get rid of the strict timeline to make that improvement (though it can help and is probably already eroding given Mando/Grogu). Just add a bunch of roaming characters and droids. Heck, simply bring back March of the First Order. Put some droids on top of buildings that move all day for kinetics. Add an R2 and 3P0 M&G. Have an alien "band" around that performs SW songs.

It just needs some money invested in entertainment that should have been there from the start.

2. I still think the simply and easy way to monetize is to do dinner and a show (a la Hoo Dee Doo) in the Starcruiser including the transportation from DHS (or the ability to book it independent or the park and drive up if desired). I suspect a bunch of people would do it just to explore the ship a bit and have the experience if the price point wasn't insane.

3. Definitely these things. I think the land really could use an AA continuously running show (think CBJ/Tiki but with Star Wars aliens).

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think Disney has a bad "E-Ticket only" mentality and they cut everything else and don't open other types of attractions.

Back to Universal, one other note is that it feels much more like it's run by enthusiasts instead of "pencil pushers" as Walt would call them. It feels more about "this would be cool" than just "this will make money". Their tribute stores help a lot in that regard. Highly themed areas that only last for a couple of months but have tons of easter eggs and cool areas within them.

doctornick

Yeah… on Hulu and Simpsons… you’re right. And Iger is doing the exact opposite on both. The EXACT opposite.

Hulu is actually profitable and (in isolation) a reasonable purchase to fully own. Whether it made sense for Disney given their cash situation on top of other previous purchases is a different question...

I actually think the Hulu with Live TV has a good value going forward. And I think being able to roll the Hulu general interest content into D+ (in those places like the US where it was not already there under Star) has a good value in making D+ a clear competitor with Netflix at a similar price point (where Netflix has shown they can be profitable). I'm actually really curious how the numbers look for Disney after the most recent price hike for their streaming - I guess we'll find out next week.

Just like everything else at Disney, the big key for D+ is to keep production costs down. They need to figure out how to make their "premium" content for a lower cost so they have more money to make filler content as well. It's not even how much they spend but how inefficiently they spend it at Disney (not getting the "bang for their buck" they need).

fgmnt

You and everyone else can get in line behind me and there was another poster that have been beating the 3rd North American Resort drum for years now. People coming to Orlando for Disney aren't skipping the MK. The only way to relieve the pressure is for them not to come to Orlando.
Something that has stuck in my head was a relatively low-information WDW guest asked me once why they don’t just build a second castle park in WDW. It’s a completely insane idea that would never be executed but it’s telling that a normal person would observe how much more different it is there. I have commented elsewhere that in my opinion, my last day trip to MK (in… early 2022?) is one of the least pleasant places I have ever spent leisure time. I have only been back for two very brief nights since then. I’m a jaded person who visits the resort a lot more often than average guests because of my proximity to CMs but I have to wonder how the family from Topeka feels about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom