Rumor: World Showcase 2007

Buford

mousermerf said:
Again, there are some cultural issues.. in O Canada - the singing woman is NOT french canadian and it shows in her voice. Her accent is like Bronx meets "I failed high school French class."

The China upgrade was successful, so I hope Canada will be too.
aww, I think it's pretty. :p :D

TTATraveler

O Canada definately needs some updating. There is nothing in the film that inspires me to want to visit Canada. Wonders of China came out great and of the World Showcase films (Excluding American Adventure), it is my favorite. El Rio Del Tiempo is a nice ride but it is stale and definately needs some rejuvination. Three Caballeros rumor has been floating around for a while and I am sure there are those out there who aren't familiar with them. This could be a great opportunity for marketing the 3C's.

dxwwf3

mousermerf said:
Again, there are some cultural issues.. in O Canada - the singing woman is NOT french canadian and it shows in her voice. Her accent is like Bronx meets "I failed high school French class."
Well then do a Golden Dreams style remake of the song.

And I do wish they would keep the EXACT same soundtrack for Impressions and just update the film. O' Canada can be changed all the way around, but I really think the narrator and music of France is timeless.

bcampione

I'm telling you guys - if they were to add a thrill ride in WS, more people would go that way and henceforth bring up attendence to that area. Not only that, if they had the thrillride as well as updated films, and possibly a new caliber ride of Rio de Tiempo, WS would be set for many years.

Reme,ber there were plans for a Switzerland w/ a Matterhorn-style ride? Or what about the one they were to put in Canada? I understand there is not much much room back there, but it is the Imagineers job to create where they can find space and keep guests interested, not only on a world culture lesson.

TTATraveler

bcampione said:
I'm telling you guys - if they were to add a thrill ride in WS, more people would go that way and henceforth bring up attendence to that area. Not only that, if they had the thrillride as well as updated films, and possibly a new caliber ride of Rio de Tiempo, WS would be set for many years.

The only thing is would people only go to world showcase simply for the thrill ride? Or would they stay a while and explore each country? My gut instinct is to say that people looking for a thrill ride aren't going to be interested in what World Showcase has to offer. They are just going to head back there to check out the thrill ride. Perhaps a small percentage of them will be enticed to stick around.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
At one point, there were also plans for a raft-ride in a mountain for Japan, but that didn't make it either.

Add that and the axed german dark ride along with "Meet the World" to the list of World Showcase coulda, woulda, shoulda's.

Regardless - new stuff in WS = good :)

orlandorealtor

bcampione said:
Reme,ber there were plans for a Switzerland w/ a Matterhorn-style ride? Or what about the one they were to put in Canada? I understand there is not much much room back there, but it is the Imagineers job to create where they can find space and keep guests interested, not only on a world culture lesson.

Well thats the great thing about Disney World being a resort with 4 theme parks. I think having a park as different as Epcot lures an entirely different demographic...like the people who think that because they don't have kids they shouldn't be going to Disney.

I heard one person argue that they don't like being preached at about how we are detroying the world at Animal Kingdom when he/she just wants to go on a frivolous ride. I think the same thing applies to Epcot. The park stands on its own and if that style of entertainment doesn't work for you...take a walk around and park hop somewhere else. Hence the reason for 4 differently themed parks and 22 (or so) differently themed resorts.

TTATraveler

mousermerf said:
At one point, there were also plans for a raft-ride in a mountain for Japan, but that didn't make it either.

Add that and the axed german dark ride along with "Meet the World" to the list of World Showcase coulda, woulda, shoulda's.

Regardless - new stuff in WS = good :)

Don't forget about the Mount Fuji Rollercoaster attraction for Japan that would have been sponsored by Fuji Film, a conflict with Kodak sponsorship over at JII.

lcsrig

I hope they keep the theme song in Canada. My 7 yo and I love singing it on the way to school in the am. He's even learning a little French! We really haven't visited France that much so I can comment on that one. As far as Mexico goes....some people can say it needs updating but I love it the way it is! That's what makes it so much fun! If you don't like it, have a few marge and ritas (as we say at work) and THEN try it!

ps...does anyone remember the wedding dress they used to have in the Mexico pavillion??? I had a pic as a kid and can't find it. Probably around 1986. Mom told me, "if there's anything here you can't live without, we'll see about getting it." THAT"S ALL I WANTED !

DME

orlandorealtor said:
I think the lack of a line has something to do with placement. Maelstrom has an outside ride entrance and you can see the ride from the walkway. Rio's line is hidden in the back of the pavilion and you can only see the ride if you're having dinner or leaning into the restaurant.

(This is opening a whole new can of worms) Disney used to show the public what was entertaining, with new concepts and ideas. Lately they seem to just read the guest research and create exactly what people expect. This isn't a bad thing but it creates a situation where they are no longer setting the bar...they are allowing other people to do it.

Also, it seems that the ride wasn't really designed to have a 'line'. There's just a small zig-zag and then you board.

I totally agree with you 1000%.

Hurricane

Sigh....... at least they're not retheming it as pooh's mexican adventure or some other horrible tie in, they should update only the films to make them less 80's and stereotypical but keep the feel of the ride.

ToTBellHop

There are SO many possibilities for additions to World Showcase...I don't really care which they pick, but WS definitely needs something new. I have not seen a new pavillion in WS ever since I've been going to WDW (excluding that sad millennium village...why do they keep that on the park map? There are plenty of other buildings not for guest use that are not on maps.)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
ISTCNavigator57 said:
There are SO many possibilities for additions to World Showcase...I don't really care which they pick, but WS definitely needs something new. I have not seen a new pavillion in WS ever since I've been going to WDW (excluding that sad millennium village...why do they keep that on the park map? There are plenty of other buildings not for guest use that are not on maps.)

Cuz they do open it - Doll and Teddy Bear weekend, AP/Pin events, Disneyana, NYE, etc...

CrashNet

tk421-sw said:
Im with you!, Mexico is one of my favorit resturants in Epcot, I lOVE the volcano!
I LOVE Mexico. That is the one country where you can walk into the building and truly feel like you've entered into another world. :)

musicman52086

Just throwing my vote in to update the movie in the Canada pavilion. After watching the movie in China and even in France, the age shows. As infectious as the song is, it's almost laughable...

brkgnews

I'm not completely discounting this rumor, for several reasons, including...

- 2007 will mark the 25th, and it would make sense that there would be some new stuff added in for it.

- Some of the Mexico Ride (especially the street market scene) has been criticized as not Politically Correct. If PotC can fall victim, certainly El Rio can.

- These rumors have been mentioned before (ride in Canada, 3 Cabs in Mexico, etc)

However...

A couple of things shed at least some doubt...

- Over on Mouseplanet, this rumor was the poster's first (and only) post. So there's no "user reputation of fact" to base it on.

- Listen to the latest WDW Podcast. There's (in theory, at least) a "rule" (unwritten or otherwise) that characters kind of hang out in the common areas of the pavilions, but they stay out of the heart of the areas (attracations/etc). Granted, this is being blurred (mainly for character safety -- letting them do meet-n-greets in the much cooler buildings rather than sweltering outside), but still, a character-based attraction would totally blow this out of the water.

My final verdict: Eh, Maybe?

ToTBellHop

mousermerf said:
Cuz they do open it - Doll and Teddy Bear weekend, AP/Pin events, Disneyana, NYE, etc...
hmmm...didn't know that...thought it was just for private functions. What's it look like inside there, now?

MicBat

I will take the El Rio del Tiemp rumor with a grain of salt. The whole idea behind World Showcase is to give people a glimpse of what the country is like... Sort of like a picture or a postcard. This is the reason we never see the Disney Characters in the back of the pavillions... They are always seen towards the front by the main walkway. This is what I've been told, anyway.

TheDisneyMagic

RonAnnArbor said:
Is it just me, or is the song at the end (Canada, my Canada (Mon Canada) one of the most infectious at the park? I find myself humming it all the time and I am not Canadian!
Wow, I can't agree more, This song is another amazing one. It is so addictive. I have never been to the real Canada in my life and I have got no relatives there so people find it weird when I'm singing the song lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom