Rumor: World Showcase 2007

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
World Showcase updates

Just throwing in my 2 cents. I was lucky enough to grow up near Disney and get to go hundreds of times in the 80's when I was a teenager. We always made fun of El Rio del Tiempo and found it mildly racist. One of the big problems with the ride is that from the restaurant it looks like its going to be incredibly cool and then it turns out to be...well - what it is - "If You Had Wings, the south of the border version". Thus - updating this is all good in my opinion (movie tie in or not). O Canada I love. I agree with everyone who says that the song is infectious. In fact, I can not see the movie for years and still have it floating around in my head. I think one of the reasons the film seems dated is that we have almost the exact same culture as Canda and there are 80's style short shorts, Members Only jackets, tight Jordache jeans and tight Izod shirts with collars turned up in the background. As North Americans we see that and some part of our brain thinks the 80's. Not sure if anything can be done about that. From an artistic perspective (not taking into account special effects) the French film is the best theme park movie Disney has made for its U.S. theme parks (can't speak for parks outside the U.S.). I'd hate to see it changed at all.
On a side note - I know the countries themselves are involved in the attractions on some level. I'd have to think if sold properly Disney should/could be able to have someone else underwrite major upgrades. I don't know precisely how such things are organized so maybe I'm wrong.

Sir_Cliff

I'm not sure why the Mexican government would be particularly keen on paying for a new ride based around Disney characters. Presumably the point is to get people interested in visiting Mexico and to promote cultural understanding, so I suppose a ride hosted by these characters (rather like the film) could work. Still, seems once again a little too much like a ride showcasing American ideas about Mexico rather than Mexico itself.

ToTBellHop

Sir_Cliff said:
I'm not sure why the Mexican government would be particularly keen on paying for a new ride based around Disney characters. Presumably the point is to get people interested in visiting Mexico and to promote cultural understanding, so I suppose a ride hosted by these characters (rather like the film) could work. Still, seems once again a little too much like a ride showcasing American ideas about Mexico rather than Mexico itself.
I would imagine it will still be about Mexico, but hosted by the Three Caballeros to help connect with the younger audience...think Circle of Life in the Land--hosted by characters, but still extremely effective at getting a serious point across. It connects with kids much better than showing a National Geographic special would.

daveyjones

exactly.

ISTCNavigator57 said:
I would imagine it will still be about Mexico, but hosted by the Three Caballeros to help connect with the younger audience...think Circle of Life in the Land--hosted by characters, but still extremely effective at getting a serious point across. It connects with kids much better than showing a National Geographic special would.
exactly. i don't think mexico will end up a 3 cab "attraction" - more like it will be "hosted" by donald and his friends to.....you guessed it....connect to a younger audience.

tomm4004

TTATraveler said:
The only thing is would people only go to world showcase simply for the thrill ride? Or would they stay a while and explore each country? My gut instinct is to say that people looking for a thrill ride aren't going to be interested in what World Showcase has to offer. They are just going to head back there to check out the thrill ride. Perhaps a small percentage of them will be enticed to stick around.
First, if you are considering the thrill ride crowd to be younger, there's always the idea of laying the foundation for future visits. Perhaps they aren't "thrilled" about the culture of the countries, but they may as they get older, so one year they will stop and explore. Second, I think the thrill ride crowd is pretty diverse. I'm over 40 and I love thrill rides and WS. Besides, if older members of a group wander around and shop while the thrillriders ride...

It seems to me that for what is is, WS's attendance is pretty good. The restaurants appear full, as are the appealing stores. I speak some Japanese so I like to go into the store there to talk to the CMs, but the last couple years the place is always packed and they are rarely free to talk.

CaptainMichael

Does the average guest even know about the 3-Cabs anymore? I'd venture to guess, no. It doesn't make sense to me, especially since El Rio still gets good attendance.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
STR8FAN2005 said:
Does the average guest even know about the 3-Cabs anymore? I'd venture to guess, no. It doesn't make sense to me, especially since El Rio still gets good attendance.

Why do people say such things?

They said it about Living Seas and before that the Land and before that Horizons.

It's just not true. El Rio is empty and they send tons of empty boats through when they're running the minimum number of boats. It never has a line.

It's empty, it's gotten worse in the last few years, and no amount of saying otherwise, for who-knows what reason, will change that fact.

I just don't understand it.

MicBat

mousermerf said:
Why do people say such things?

They said it about Living Seas and before that the Land and before that Horizons.

It's just not true. El Rio is empty and they send tons of empty boats through when they're running the minimum number of boats. It never has a line.

It's empty, it's gotten worse in the last few years, and no amount of saying otherwise, for who-knows what reason, will change that fact.

I just don't understand it.
I dont ever remember El Rio having very much popularity at all. I still remember my first time on the ride over 10 years ago and walking right on it. And we went during Thanksgiving, so it's not like the park had low attendance or anything.

tomm4004

When we first went 20 years ago there were lines somewhat for Mexico and solid crowds for the movies. Now, I never see the French or new Chinese movie with more than a sprinkling of people. But there are more people simply walking around WS than there was back then.

ToTBellHop

MicBat said:
I dont ever remember El Rio having very much popularity at all. I still remember my first time on the ride over 10 years ago and walking right on it. And we went during Thanksgiving, so it's not like the park had low attendance or anything.
I remember years and years ago (probably 15) there being a line...but even then, it was only in the permanent switchbacks, so no more than a ten-minute wait.

Epcot 25th Celebration?

I just really hope this means that WDW will be having a 25 year celebration for Epcot starting in Oct 2007. :lookaroun No one has confirmed that though have they? We are waiting until then to return, I guess if they don't we'll still go and have our own private celebration.

GenerationX

I remember riding El Rio del Tiempo as a kid and thinking it was dullsville. I rode it more recently as an adult, and I have to agree with the assessment of my younger self. We boarded the ride mid-day in early August with no wait. Any. change. would. be. an. improvement.

O Canada is good, but I would welcome a more current film. Impressions de France is excellent as is.

dxwwf3

GenerationX said:
O Canada is good, but I would welcome a more current film. Impressions de France is excellent as is.

As I stated before, I would pretty much agree with that. I don't think I like one of those better than the other, but to me, Impressions is more timeless and O Canada would see a greater improvement with an update. I'd still hate to see the music go though (And I'm not just talking about Canada (You're A Lifetime Journey) either. The whole score is fantastic).

tirian

Actually, El Rio del Tiempo had a line one day around last Christmas; and the Mexico CMs actually had to set up a temporary queue! I didn't notice whether or not the poles had cobwebs hanging off them...:D

As far as updating the attractions is concerned, I know that the respective countries do have to put up some money. With world economics problems, terrorism, and other problems, I'm sure that "Updating the Epcot Pavilion" is not high on many nation's budgets. Then again, the tourism departments could push for Epcot updates to attract more American tourists...

Epcot82Guy

I love El Rio A LOT. I think it has a lot of classic feel. However, I do think adding/updating, especially the scenes regarding the marketplace and end is much in order. I DON'T like the idea of importing hte characters into WS. FW is bad enough. But I would find the 3C's VERY out of place and perhaps even offensive to WS and what it is supposed to be (not saying that hte ride as is doesn't have faults of that type as well). Next, Mulan will host Reflections. Belle will pop up in Impressions. That is just not the point of that area.

Spicey477

I actually went on the Maelstrom tonight (20 minute wait at 8:30??) and for the first time I really felt that the film was due for an update. When I was a CP, I became really good friends with Norwegian IP's so that movie holds a soft spot for me.
I do have to report that during this past years Food and Wine, there was a small wait for Rio Del Tiempo, which like someone said earlier, I love the 80's feel to it, but for the Pavillion's sake, it probably needs to be updated.
I just wish that Disney would just take the great things about the films/attractions and just make them more modern, not change everything about them to make kids happy, that isn't really what WS is about. The kids can go to KidCot.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I rented and watched 3 Cabelleros just so I could have an informed opinion.

First off, wow.... That movie was a cultural stereotype on steroids. Some jokes were made that we'd eally frown at in this modern age.

Second, the movie itself really isn't that good. The songs are dull and not very catchy at all. The penguin part was cute, but the wild birds part dragged, and then all through Brzail I was bored and then the Mexico part(which they'd base the ride on) was.. I dunno.. I just didn't like it. The 3 Cabelleros song is more annoying than IASW in my opinion.

And a red rooster in gaucho gear shooting pistols all willy nilly? Would Mexico really want that...?

One thought that occured - the scenes of the film lend to the ride style. The movie mixes live action with animation, giving the feel of the real scenery with the film like in the ride. The children going from house to house ion christmas look just like "small word" kids and could be put into that section of the ride, then there's the fireworks and celebration - hey, just like the ride! And for the start, they do touch on history. So, I definately how it could be done.. I just don't know if it should be done.

The best song in the movie - Ya Ya, the Cookie Lady - occurs in Brazil, not Mexico.

If done right, it could be fascinating - done wrong, it could be worse than what we have now. Lemme get some screen grabs for comparison...

dxwwf3

mousermerf said:
First off, wow.... That movie was a cultural stereotype on steroids. Some jokes were made that we'd eally frown at in this modern age.

But you've got to take everything in it's proper place. It was a different world back then and we can judge it in today's uber PC world. I haven't seen it in a long time so I can't remember much of it, but I doubt that there is anything that is really offensive in it. Most people like to make a mountain out of a molehill with these things in the media cough...cough...Song of the South...cough...cough. But I do know what you are saying though.

I don't know why they should change El Rio to a ride about that movie for the simple reason that it doesn't seem to be remembered all that well, but stranger things have happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom