Rumor-Spectro probably isn't coming back

danv3

Very disappointing news. We all know a new parade is a pipe dream with the cheapskates running TDO, so this means MSEP for the long run...years and years most likely.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm really skeptical of this. Not because i'm against change, but because of the so called reason they may be scrapping the refurb of Spectromagic, money. Ideally i'd like a reimagined version of Spectromagic, keeping the iconic music but with a mixture of massively overhauled as well as brand new floats. In other words, I want a parade that does to Spectromagic what Dreamlights has done for MSEP. The music is absolutely fantastic in Spectromagic, i'd really hate to see it go and I seriously doubt they'll be able to create a completely original song that can surpass it (its music remains IMO the best Disney has created for a parade).

But regardless of this I could probably at least appreciate something new if they did it correctly with proper love and budget. I'm skeptical though because of how WDW has been treated as of late. If refurbing an older parade was indeed scrapped for "costing too much", it sounds like they intend to value engineer whatever newer parade they might build (which is highly likely given how things are at WDW). I don't hold much hope for something that can actually match or surpass Spectromagic without proper budget and love. Maybe if this were another point in time with different people in charge with a decent budget they'd do things right, but the company and especially those in charge of WDW specifically seem more interested in cheaping out than providing something on the incredible scale of Dreamlights.

menamechris

My deep fear is that we may be reaching the end of the nightime parade. It costs an amazing amount of money to put on every night, and I would not put it past TDO to attempt to pull the plug on it to save money. If they don't want to put the money into refurbing floats - I HIGHLY doubt they would be interested in spending even more money on a new parade. And if they do - I would be afraid we would get a "Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It" type of mess...

drew81

Original Poster
Please remember this is only a rumor.

We'll probably see MSEP hang around awhile longer. If Spectro came back it would need some TLC. I've heard they would rather not spend the money on it and possibly do something new down the road.

Again, these are all rumors.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Please remember this is only a rumor.

We'll probably see MSEP hang around awhile longer. If Spectro came back it would need some TLC. I've heard they would rather not spend the money on it and possibly do something new down the road.

Again, these are all rumors.

Scary words there. Smells like MSEP is about to be run into the ground whilst TDO determines if a night time parade is essential to creating magical, memories.

jrh1985

Spectro is currently being completely refitted for return in 2013, sometime in April/May.. it will be part of the summer promotion touting new fantasyland and the return of a Magic Kingdom's classic parade
Will there be anything new and have you heard of the rumor drew's heard before this morning???

Have you heard any rumors about Disneyland getting a new night parade?

I was at DLR last Feb. when they were running Soundsational at night. Personally, the fact that the parade works in the day or night makes it a great investment for them. Do they really need a night parade?

Part of me wonders if TDO is hoping to take the double use parade approach and incorporate themed lighting within the new parade floats. It would actually save them money and allow them to invest properly in a new parade.

Just an idea.

IWant2GoNow

How can everything be too much money for TWDC or TDO?

Fixed. :)

My thoughts are similar to others. If they don't want to spend money on refurbing, IMO, an already great parade, then under current TDO management I can NOT fathom them approving the budget for an all new parade with new floats & musical score.

I hope I'm able to see Spectro again in my lifetime but I'll be alright if not. I'm not going to race down to Orlando for a "limited time magic" run of it either.

COProgressFan

Very disappointing news. We all know a new parade is a pipe dream with the cheapskates running TDO, so this means MSEP for the long run...years and years most likely.

This is what I am worried about as well.

An exciting new nighttime parade (with proper budget and technology)? Great! Bring it on.
An excuse to avoid refurbing Spectro while MSEP limps along Main Street 40 years later? Not so magical.

DDPGambit

I hope Spectro comes back. Whatever luster MSEP had when I was a child is firmly gone, in it's place is an annoyingly repetitive theme song.

drew81

Original Poster
Spectro is currently being completely refitted for return in 2013, sometime in April/May.. it will be part of the summer promotion touting new fantasyland and the return of a Magic Kingdom's classic parade

I heard this was the original plan but some of the Spectro floats have significant issues. Do you know anymore?

ChristianG

IT SEEMS WHENEVER DISNEY NEEDS TO UPDATE 'SOMETHING' 'ANYTHING' AND DON'T WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY, ITS ALL OF A SUDDEN 'OBSOLETE'! NOTHING IS OBSOLETE WITH DISNEY WHEN YOU HAVE ALL THAT TECHNOLOGY AT THE TIPS OF YOUR FINGERS WITHIN THE COMPANY! IT JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW THEY ARE ONLY OUT TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK, BUT IN THIS CASE, HOW TO SAVE A QUICK BUCK!
WALT WOULD NEVER HAVE TAKEN SOMETHING AWAY WITHOUT REPLACING IT WITH SOMETHING SIMILAR! POOR MAN MUST BE ROLLING OVER IN HIS GRAVE! THE DISNEY FAMILY NEEDS TO STEP UP AND AND SPEAK THEIR MINDS AND GET THE COMPANY 'BACK TO THE BASIC TRADITIONS THAT WALT DISNEY BUILT THIS COMPANY ON!' IT WASN'T ABOUT MONEY, IT WAS ABOUT A PLACE WHERE KIDS AND ADULTS CAN ENJOY THEMSELVES AS A FAMILY TOGETHER AND FORGET ABOUT ALL THEIR PROBLEMS AND ENJOY A WORLD OF MAKE BELIEVE, FANTASY AND DREAMS!

528200820837PM_capslock.jpg

Anyways, I'm kind of iffy on this one. I love Spectro, but I think it's about time WDW gets a new parade.

muteki

Where has Spectro sat for the past couple of years? Has it deteriorated so much just from sitting there rotting? If not, how could they have not known the state of the floats when they packed them up? To me a simple check out would have made sense before they put them into storage. They should have known for a long time now/planned accordingly for the work needed to be done to get them back into regular service.

Though MSEP/Spectro hasn't been a nightly occurrence for a while now, at least not when I have been. Wouldn't surprise me if they dropped the parade altogether and just did the much-easier-to-upkeep castle projections as nighttime entertainment.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nothing newer than what I've posted in the past personally. MISICI was being prepped for a possible larger show, possibly to replace CADCT but I've not heard any more on that either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom