Rumor: Monsters Coaster at MGM

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So, it's not going to happen. You guys all get excited about one idea that was not thought out to well and believe it to be true.

I'm guessing 2 years ago, someone could have said that Imagineers were working on taking the Monsters Inc. characters and making a stand-up comedy act because the Monsters can get more power from laughter than screams....... and people wouldn't believe that one either.

sillykid

This is an old rumor. Merf what's your new source? We have heard that there would be a coaster whether it was Monsters or Ratatouille we do not know. There has been talk for years about if it would be Monsters that it would take theme of the chasing door scene. Why does eveyone seemed so surprised?:shrug:

csm

and i would love to see that concept art as well. funny how concept art is, well, many times just that. a concept for something that won't happen.

I'll have to look into which of my sources gave me that concept art a while back, and see if it's something that can be posted. Most times the answer is no, but it's still worth asking.

Still though, I have to sit back and laugh at someone that says "I have no source, but I'm sure you're wrong." to another poster. Pretty comical stuff! :xmas:

This is a great idea. I think the best coaster idea would be one where your feet dangle. No Disney park has this type of coaster yet, and it is one all coaster fans would enjoy ... not a baby coaster yet not an extreme one. And it would fit the ride's theme perfectly. I hope they do go through with this and the Ratatouille coaster. The Ratatouille coaster would be the one I'd make more family friendly. These two ideas will help the park tremendously as well as give coaster fans something to be proud of.

WeLComeHomE OKW

I fully welcome this ride. I think it would be a great addition to disneys Hollywood studios and would really make the pixar area complete.:sohappy:

gelan

I can say with 100% certainty, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there is absolutely no way this attraction will ever be built. Do I have inside information to this effect? No. But I do know:

1. That Monsters Inc. was an incredibly popular movie.
2. That the door scene from MI would translate into a great coaster.
3. That Disney just bought Pixar.
4. That MGM needs another attraction and...

Wait.... um....

uklad79

When a coaster is mentioned you all think speed, fast, traditional type coaster. Some of you seem so sure that Disney wouldn't use this technology in the parks. Well think of how Disney adapts systems to their own use sometimes so much so the original manufacturer doesn't recognise it (see the California Screaming accident and the manufacturer's response). Now think of an updated version of Peter Pan using an off the shelf system Disney can buy and run at slower speeds on a track. What do you have? Think about it.

dizpins14

Okay, I kind of decided that a lot of you are either 15 years old, or insane. Monster's Inc Magical Flying Doors is not going to happen - ever. I can guarantee that to you right this very minute. Do I have proof? No.
As for comparisons with Stitch??? Come on, the height requirement argument? I worked at the Barnstormer and every third parent would flip out because their shorter than average, or braver than average age kid, wouldn't be able to ride. If they were going to build any Monster's Inc attraction at the parks at this point, it would be a dark ride.

So, it's not going to happen. You guys all get excited about one idea that was not thought out to well and believe it to be true.

I worked at Stitch so I know how parents can get upset if their child can't ride, especially when you tell them it's not a ride but a show. I was providing proof that Disney would make a thrill attraction which requires a height requirement and is based on children's movie, because they already have. So I'm not really insane here to believe this rumor has some credibility since I have seen concept art myself for this ride and having experience working at a children's attraction with a height requirement.

DisneyparkFreak

New rumor, fresh out off the mill..

There's talk of a Monsters Inc theme inverted roller coaster going into MGM in 2009-2010. It'd be near Toy Story Mania, and be themed to the door-chase scene.

Salt to taste, enjoy.

I've been preaching this for years... We will see however. One of my best friends, brothers who works for the mouse out in Cali said this idea was dead, but i guess no truly good idea is ever dead at disney.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Okay, I kind of decided that a lot of you are either 15 years old, or insane. Monster's Inc Magical Flying Doors is not going to happen - ever. I can guarantee that to you right this very minute. Do I have proof? No. I don't, but I have more than half a brain and every once and a while I decide to use it. Crush's coaster, is a completely different situation at a completely different, not to mention fairly new, park.

I think another thing to think about, is the scene that we are discussing itself. The flying doors in Monster's Inc. These are doors. How many riders are going to be riding each door. Even more importantly, how is imagineering going to plausibly have a flying "door" that seats more than two people. Sounds like it wouldn't be flying doorways anymore. It really just doesn't make any sense at all.

As for comparisons with Stitch??? Come on, the height requirement argument? I worked at the Barnstormer and every third parent would flip out because their shorter than average, or braver than average age kid, wouldn't be able to ride. If they were going to build any Monster's Inc attraction at the parks at this point, it would be a dark ride.

Did you even SEE the movie?

You are so far off-base it isn't even funny. And NO...I am NOT 15 years old. Far from it.:wave:

Snapper Bean

1. I agree with the comments that DHS needs a family style coaster not a super intense one (especially if its going to be Pixar movie themed).

2. I could see an inverted coaster being not super intense which would work.

3. I kind of prefer a Ratatouille theme to a Monsters, Inc. theme.

DisneyparkFreak

New rumor, fresh out off the mill..

There's talk of a Monsters Inc theme inverted roller coaster going into MGM in 2009-2010. It'd be near Toy Story Mania, and be themed to the door-chase scene.

Salt to taste, enjoy.

I just read on another website about this rumor as well, saying that it will have both front and back facing seats. Seems to fit into more of a child friendly attraction. I also read about the ABC theater getting a very hush hush attraction... I wonder what could go in there.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The whole idea of a Monster's Inc inverted roller coaster just doesn't work for me. The film and it's themes are far too family oriented for a thrill ride to be based on.

I'd hope they could work another big coaster into one of the parks though. With a more appropriate theme than the rumored one here.:shrug:

For the door chase theme to be right, it needs to be inverted (think of the scene -- the doors are hanging). My guess is that the seats will be themed as doors in some way.

But that doesn't mean it has to be high thrill. I've seen several "family" level inverted coasters. That seems to me to be what DHS needs. It's got high level thrills in ToT and RnRC, and, if all goes well, in a renewed Star Tours 2.0 (no, I don't know anything -- just hoping the rumors finally come true). Family is what's missing. When my family goes to WDW (twice this year), we skip the Studios with my 4 year-old, because, frankly, there isn't much for him there.

DisneyAnole

I really hope they do more than just copy the door-chase scene out of Monsters Inc. It seems pretty unimaginative to merely copy a sequence from a movie...but maybe they'll surprise us and do something above and beyond.

DisneyNeighbor

I know a inverted coaster would be great for DHS. But with a MONSTERS INC theme would really be tough on young kids not being able to ride a thrill ride.

Build one show building with two rides through each scene.

A MIKE ride for the little ones- could be a slow ride like peter pan and when the Sulley ride comes flying through it will add some thrill.

A SULLEY ride for the big ones- thrill ride on par with RNC.

I am sure Disney can manage to build two rides in one.

lwalker8

Ok...anyone who uses Stitch's Great Escape as evidence to show that they would build an attraction like this, should just stop and think about that for a second. Stitch is one of the most universally loathed attractions and can be considered an abomination and failure on every level. Lesson learned, no Monster's Inc roller coaster.

It just doesn't work, cool to think about, exciting to imagine, but sometimes you just have to think long and hard and realize that there are thousands of other ideas out there which would make much better rides. A single movie scene doesn't have to directly translate into an attraction. And it should never be forced. The door scene does not have much of a narrative to it and is not even a major part of the film. While I can't promise that they won't build this attraction(they have had their fair share of bad ideas built in the past 10 years), I can promise it would be a mistake for them to take the easy way out with another Pixar attraction with little thought put into the story.

Consider three attractions every time you decide whether or not something should be built, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, and Expedition Everest. These are the stories that imagineers put time and thought into, and that truly gave themselves to being created into the attractions they are today. This isn't there with the idea for a Monster's Inc attraction based on that "cool scene with the doors." It has no significance in the movie other than providing a cool visual.

JLW11Hi

Its also very difficult for us to simply take the idea: "Monster's Inc Door Ride" and start making assumptions on what it would end up looking like in the end.

I think there could be a million different ideas out there that might be better than this, but we can't for sure say just from the basic concept of Monsters Inc door ride (I don't even consider this an actual "concept", more like a "jumping off" point)
What matters in the end is the execution of the ride, whether or not its done with quality.

Either way, I do think that DHS should pursue Pixar themed attractions, whatever they may be. As for the whole "lets stop using Disney/Pixar movies and start coming up with original ideas", I would totally agree if you were talking about the MK, AK, or Epcot, but this is DHS. Its about movies, and I think that movie themed attractions belong here. Especially with the new Pixar Place area opening. It looks like there is room to expand back there.

echoreyn

I'm surprised that people keep saying this would have to be a ride just for little kids. I understand that many kids would love to ride something like this, but the idea has universal appeal. All of my friends at the university I attend have seen and love Monsters Inc. and would be thrilled to ride a door roller coaster. Whether Disney would put height restrictions on it or not, I believe it would be wildly popular.
Some people don't think that this idea makes technical sense, but I envision it as a coaster made of two-person inverted "seats", each attached to a separate door. Disney could choose whatever length of coaster they think would work best. I also think that they could pepper the ride with glimpses of audio-animatronic versions of Sully, Mike, Boo, and Randal.
I know that this is just a rumor, but I'd love to see this happen! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom