Politics RUMOR: Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al to Redo Hall of Presidents

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
When I go to a Broadway production I always at least read the libretto first. Even with non-rap productions, it's easy for me to miss words. And maybe it's just me, I always had problems hearing the words for songs. Which is why I always appreciated the Glee covers of pop songs. Whoever was Glee's musical director, they made darned sure there was no slurring and every consonant was properly articulated.
This is such a good tip! Specially for foreign visitors like myself.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The argument was over how this required for Hamilton in order to understand it, some people think going in blind is best but got lost in Hamilton, I was pointing out it’s a more widespread problem using Les Mis example not only because of my own personal experience but also because it’s so universally loved and “traditional broadway.”

The good form of singing over each other is when two or more melodies are sung first individually, and then are overlapped and sung as counter melodies of one another. If they keep the same works (as Hamilton did near the end of the first act), then it shouldn't matter if you can here every word, because you already heard it.

The bad form of doing this is when the words haven't been sung individually ahead of time and there is a lot of interruptions (o, hai, Sondheim!) or because the composer thought it was OK to have new words because we already heard the melody (Les Miz).

Haymarket2008

The good form of singing over each other is when two or more melodies are sung first individually, and then are overlapped and sung as counter melodies of one another. If they keep the same works (as Hamilton did near the end of the first act), then it shouldn't matter if you can here every word, because you already heard it.

The bad form of doing this is when the words haven't been sung individually ahead of time and there is a lot of interruptions (o, hai, Sondheim!) or because the composer thought it was OK to have new words because we already heard the melody (Les Miz).

Using the master of the craft (Sondheim) as an example of bad form........doesn't hold up, no offense haha. Again, it is just another level of complexity. It just is a matter of preference. But having multiple points of view being explained/sung at the same time is inherently wonderful for the people who want to listen to it more than once. And Sondheim does this in a way that makes them all form a whole. They aren't disparate harmony lines that don't fit.

Touchdown

Using the master of the craft (Sondheim) as an example of bad form........doesn't hold up, no offense haha. Again, it is just another level of complexity. It just is a matter of preference. But having multiple points of view being explained/sung at the same time is inherently wonderful for the people who want to listen to it more than once. And Sondheim does this in a way that makes them all form a whole. They aren't disparate harmony lines that don't fit.

Thank you for making my point again.

TeriofTerror

But seriously, do you know anyone who can sing all of "City on Fire"? I was in a production of Sweeney Todd, and literally no one in the cast could. But we've got the Hamilton soundtrack down! 🙂

Haymarket2008

But seriously, do you know anyone who can sing all of "City on Fire"? I was in a production of Sweeney Todd, and literally no one in the cast could. But we've got the Hamilton soundtrack down! 🙂

LOL 😂 fair. Well, those lyrics aren’t supposed to really make sense. They’re being sung by the inmates of an insane asylum! (Although, that song is genuinely bone chilling)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Going back to Les Mis, a big problem I had going in blind was all the songs where characters sung over each other, I couldn’t understand what either was saying because of it, and while Le Mis uses that technique more then most it crops up in other shows too (Prima Donna in Phantom as an example.) That’s why I don’t go in blind anymore, it’s not just a Hamilton problem.

Also even if I know the entire soundtrack and plot by heart I have no idea what the choreography, costumes or stage look like they are entirely new, as is every acting performance (the latter of which will always be true no matter how often you see the show.)

I disagree. In my personal opinion, show should be able to be enjoyed without having to spoil any of it beforehand.

I’ve never been a fan of operas so I never really enjoy Les Mis either.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Bad news, peeps. An agreement may not happen with Miranda. Not sure about Weird Al, but one of my three sources says Disney and Manuel have amicably ceased negotiations on the project as of late Friday evening. I'll pass on more info as I get it, and update the original post once I get confirmation.

HauntedMansionFLA

Bad news, peeps. An agreement may not happen with Miranda. Not sure about Weird Al, but one of my three sources says Disney and Manuel have amicably ceased negotiations on the project as of late Friday evening. I'll pass on more info as I get it, and update the original post once I get confirmation.
@WDW Pro As always, thank you for all of your excellent insider information. This was an interesting project.

No Name

Talented writer. Horrible actor.

Love the guy, but he should’ve originally just cast an actually good actor to play Hamilton. His own acting ability was the weakness in the original show. (Obviously it didn’t hurt the show hardly at all but still! Coulda been perfect.)

I do think Michael Luwoye (the third actor in the role) was significantly better.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well, imagine the litany of presidents being sung in Hardware Store fashion...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom