Politics RUMOR: Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al to Redo Hall of Presidents

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Well, it's great for Disney+ because I can turn on subtitles. Without them, I wouldn't be able to understand the show. LMM isn't the best singer but he does know his part. I enjoyed it for what it was and even appreciate its telling of American history in a modern form. Still, no retheme of Liberty Square, please. If they want to do a short show at the AA pavilion (similar to Disney on Broadway during the EFOTA, I'm fine with that.
AA is superior to hall of presidents in my opinion.

WondersOfLife

Yep, your college degree definitely outweighs his career experience, his Tony Awards, 2 successful broadway shows, and all of the other awards he's won.

Can't wait to see you, or your show, on Broadway. :cool:
I’m planning on producing a show on Broadway when I’m about 30. But aside from that. Hamilton is a masterpiece don’t get me wrong. But it’s much more suitable for Disney+ with subtitles instead of a broadway show where some patrons don’t listen to the soundtrack beforehand for fear of spoiling the show.

WondersOfLife

Are you currently working in the live entertainment industry? Why do you want to be a producer?
I am currently taking over my father’s 45 year old highly successful touring children’s theatre company, “The Baillie Players” (boy what a time to do that, eh?)

I produce children’s theatre throughout S.C., Louisiana, and currently expanding into Florida whenever this whole pandemic goes away. We provide sets, costumes, props, sound, we write our own scripts/music, ect.

Ive personally produced my own original show, HomeSquad: The Musical, with the students at our locally owned and operated theatre, “The Inman Theatre.”

My goal is to bring two temporary 1-month long running children’s theatre performances to broadway starring nothing but kids. 🤙

Not looking to make a profit by any means. Just to say I’ve done it.

WondersOfLife

I am currently taking over my father’s 45 year old highly successful touring children’s theatre company, “The Baillie Players” (boy what a time to do that, eh?)

I produce children’s theatre throughout S.C., Louisiana, and currently expanding into Florida whenever this whole pandemic goes away. We provide sets, costumes, props, sound, we write our own scripts/music, ect.

Ive personally produced my own original show, HomeSquad: The Musical, with the students at our locally owned and operated theatre, “The Inman Theatre.”

My goal is to bring two temporary 1-month long running children’s theatre performances to broadway starring nothing but kids. 🤙

Just a note: I am NOT comparing my own work to Hamilton by ANY means. Nor will I ever Get to that level with children’s theatre. 😂😂😂

TrainsOfDisney

Are you familiar with new victory theatre in nyc? They may be a perfect match for you. They are right across the street from the New Amsterdam.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Now if these 2 could get with the Muppet staff and re write it, id be all in, and in Heaven!!
Capture.PNG
Well of course that's the plan! Concept art for the marquee already exists ;)

WondersOfLife

When it comes to Hamilton, it’s so pathetic that Americans don’t want to spoil the show by listening to the album. The show should have been spoiled for you in High School American History!
Spoil the show as in not listen to the music... All the tunes/raps. Ya know. Everything the show is praised for. Duh.

Touchdown

Spoil the show as in not listen to the music... All the tunes/raps. Ya know. Everything the show is praised for. Duh.

It was supposed to be a joke, but as for spoiling songs and lyrics it’s also something we clearly think about differently; if I enjoy a song my enjoyment of it grows with every listen as I catch nuisances on repeat listenings.

For instance in Hamilton the 10 duel commandments/counting motif signals a death is coming. The first scene we meet Phillip Hamilton he is counting time with his mother in French to that same tune foreshadowing his fate; but it goes even further then that after 7 he breaks from his mother and makes his own melody. Later in his duel he receives his wound after 7, so his introduction also foreshadows the exact moment he passes.

You don’t catch those things on first listen.

WondersOfLife

as for spoiling songs and lyrics it’s also something we clearly think about differently; if I enjoy a song my enjoyment of it grows with every listen as I catch nuisances on repeat listenings.
I completely agree for movies or a generic soundtrack.

But if I'm watching a $250 per-person ticket broadway-show, I'm not expecting to try and keep up with 200 words per minute (LITERALLY). As impressive as that is, that's now how Broadway should be enjoyed. It takes the fun out of trying to keep up with the show. But that is also just a personal opinion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When I go to a Broadway production I always at least read the libretto first. Even with non-rap productions, it's easy for me to miss words. And maybe it's just me, I always had problems hearing the words for songs. Which is why I always appreciated the Glee covers of pop songs. Whoever was Glee's musical director, they made darned sure there was no slurring and every consonant was properly articulated.

Touchdown

I completely agree for movies or a generic soundtrack.

But if I'm watching a $250 per-person ticket broadway-show, I'm not expecting to try and keep up with 200 words per minute (LITERALLY). As impressive as that is, that's now how Broadway should be enjoyed. It takes the fun out of trying to keep up with the show. But that is also just a personal opinion.

Going back to Les Mis, a big problem I had going in blind was all the songs where characters sung over each other, I couldn’t understand what either was saying because of it, and while Le Mis uses that technique more then most it crops up in other shows too (Prima Donna in Phantom as an example.) That’s why I don’t go in blind anymore, it’s not just a Hamilton problem.

Also even if I know the entire soundtrack and plot by heart I have no idea what the choreography, costumes or stage look like they are entirely new, as is every acting performance (the latter of which will always be true no matter how often you see the show.)

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

Going back to Les Mis, a big problem I had going in blind was all the songs where characters sung over each other, I couldn’t understand what either was saying because of it, and while Le Mis uses that technique more then most it crops up in other shows too (Prima Donna in Phantom as an example.) That’s why I don’t go in blind anymore, it’s not just a Hamilton problem.

Also even if I know the entire soundtrack and plot by heart I have no idea what the choreography, costumes or stage look like they are entirely new, as is every acting performance (the latter of which will always be true no matter how often you see the show.)

I wouldn't call that a "problem". Vocal layering has been in effect for hundreds of years in theatre and opera. If anything, it creates fine details that encourage repeated listening/viewing.

Touchdown

I wouldn't call that a "problem". Vocal layering has been in effect for hundreds of years in theatre and opera. If anything, it creates fine details that encourage repeated listening/viewing.

It’s a problem when you go into a show blind and you can’t follow the plot because of it, a problem that’s solved by listening to the soundtrack before you see a show 😉

TrainsOfDisney

It’s a problem when you go into a show blind and you can’t follow the plot because of it, a problem that’s solved by listening to the soundtrack before you see a show 😉

Isn’t this a personal preference? If you want to be familiar with the show, listen as much as you want. If you want to go into the show blind and be surprised then do that. Neither is right or wrong.

Touchdown

The argument was over how this required for Hamilton in order to understand it, some people think going in blind is best but got lost in Hamilton, I was pointing out it’s a more widespread problem using Les Mis example not only because of my own personal experience but also because it’s so universally loved and “traditional broadway.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom